México propone C.América con 16 selecciones

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by JAIME CHILE, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    http://www.cooperativa.cl/president...6-equipos/prontus_nots/2012-07-03/233354.html
    Presidente del fútbol mexicano negociará por la anhelada Copa América con 16 equipos.

El dirigente Justino Compeán viajará a Sudamérica para analizar la opción. La idea es que participen 10 equipos de la Conmebol y 6 de la Concacaf.
    -----------------------------------

Ojalá fracase esta iniciativa. La Copa América necesita subir su nivel, y no bajarlo.

2. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What? No, why? Yes lets water down the tournament with crap teams from Concacaf. We seriously need to change the name of the tournament because these Concacaf teams hear the word Copa AMERICA and use it too loosely.

3. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LGRod repped this.
  4. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's not only a Concacaf idea. Conmebol actually invited both the president and vice president of Concacaf to work a deal out. Conmebol will make a ton of money playing this Copa America in the States. I wouldn't doubt the Copa Oro makes more money than the Copa America, just imagine an all Americas tournament. As far as diluting the tournament, I dont think teams like Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama and maybe even Jamaica are any worse than say Bolivia. Last time Honduras and Costa Rica played Copa America they did pretty good.

5. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Personally I don't care about "money" when I talk about Copa América.
    Copa América was, is, will be and should be a SouthAmerican championship. Tradition and quality of football are much more important than $ in my opinion.

Chile played in the WC against Honduras, and they're definitively worse than Bolivia, no doubt.
    We have several problems to beat Bolivia, they deserved at least 1 goal. After that, Bolivia beated Paraguay 3:1, playing good football.

FROADS, Bolivianfuego and Latin Pride repped this.
  6. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree that money shouldn't be important, but I disagree that Concacaf sides will not bring up the quality. Ive seen Bolivia play and outside of Bolivia they are horrible. The last time Honduras and Costa Rica participated in Copa America they did really well, which shows they can more than compete. Costa Rica if Im not mistaken tied 0-0 with Uruguay in el Centenario after loosing at home by one goal. I know they lost but they showed they are a good side. As far as Copa America should only be a South American tournament, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I think a full continental tournament will bring the prestige up and make it more interesting. After all, we are all Americans and with the exception of Canada and the US we are all Latin and speak the same language, I dont see why not have one continental tournament where the best Concacaf sides qualify to the tournament.

7. Club Leon

Club Leon Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Umm No according to Hollywood

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  8. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree.

It's not about the money. Every federation has their own tournament specifically for their teams, why do we need to be the only ones without one? The Copa America has a long rich tradition and doing a move like this will really water it down.

But Conmebol fat cats love the $$$ so screw tradition for them.

9. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Costa Rica is ok for me. I'd admite them in C.América. But Honduras, please no.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :confused:
    Copa America, is our Conmebol tournament, as how it was named by Conmebol since the beginings of the tournament. Opinions by others mean peanuts, as it wasn`t named taking in account any geographical issue.

Btw, Mexico and others from other Conferences have been invited to participate in it many times, but by no way, it makes them a part of it and least of all, gives them any vote on issues concerning it. The only issue that concerns them, is if we invite them or not, to participate in it in the future. If they want to be a more "active" part of it, they should worry to first join Conmebol, and only after this, they could have their vote on our tournaments.

Now if they want organize another tournament with 16 teams in it, and afterwards name it as Copa America, they can do whatever they want, (personally I see no problem with it), but it would not be a continental tournament and it will have no relationship with the actual Copa America, that is played regularly in our South American continent. Now if they want to invite the 10 Conmebol nations, great !!!......., our B-C-D or Z teams could always apreciate some competition, but of course costs go on the host, otherwise forget it.....:D

Bolivianfuego, condor11 and SupaMario repped this.
  11. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Personally I'm favor of Copa America been a all americas tournament. It's just a matter of introduce a qualification round to keep a good quality of playing.

Note: We don't speak the same language. Here in Brazil we speak portuguese, other countries speak english or french. In this continent there's more than only spanish.

12. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    By the way, the competition to be hosted in USA in 2016 it's called Pan American Championship and it's to celebrate the 100 years anniversary of CONMEBOL. It's not the Copa America.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  13. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If they want to go on and do this then by all means unite both confederations for the World Cup qualifiers and let the top 9 teams qualify.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CFU has about 30 Members, if the 2 confederations would merge they would control the new confederation (like they kind of do Concacaf). I doubt many people would want that.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not going to happen. Conmebol's corrupt leadership is not going to give up its power to a bunch of corrupt Caribbean Islands.

As far as the title of the thread, to paraphrase the old saying: "Mexico propone y Conmebol dispone."

LGRod, Rickdog and SupaMario repped this.
  16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Why gain one more spot between both conferences, in relation to past WC ?, when for past WC, Concacaf had 3.5 spots and Conmebol 4.5. Together, we shouldn´t get allocated more than 8 direct spots. If afterwards we prove to the world that the 8 qualified sides (very likely that most of them will be from South America, imho, anyway), end up being among the best of the tournament, then we would earn ourselves that extra spot based on achievements, rather of it being due to an administrative decission. The same, if we fail to be among the best, we should loose a spot, in favour of those who prove being better than us.
    ;)

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Exactly, that´s how it is........
    ;)

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I am against this idea. Keep the 2 invites to be Mexico and another prestigious team. No other concacaf teams. Maybe catrachos or ticos, but no one else from this region.

LGRod repped this.
  19. rajale

rajale Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We don't deserve to be in the same confederation with football GIANTS like Chile, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, etc :(

Socrates_81 and LGRod repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In the end, money typically trumps as football is a business. I won't be surprised if at some point they decide to do it. Personally I am against it. All we would be adding, except for Mexico who already gets invites, are teams who will bunker down on defense to win.

I also like the fact that there is no qualification for Copa America. If you add Concacaf now we need qualification games right after the WC. The Copa America will then have to move to 2 years post WC instead of the following year and "compete" with the Euros or Summer Olympics.

And as it has been stated, it's a confederation competition and has nothing to do with geography.

21. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Right.
    Surinam and Guyanas deserve to be in our confederation more than you. Just look at the map.

22. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Now geography is a valid argument?

23. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For me, OF COURSE.

It's ridiculous to invite B-teams or C-teams from other confederations like Asia(Japan) and Concacaf(Mexico, Costa Rica, United States, etc).

Do Concacaf invite B/C NTs from other confederations for their continental cup(I don't know his name)? No.
    Do Uefa invite B/C NTs from other confederations for their Euros? No.
    Do Asian confederation invite B/C NTs from other confederations for their Asian Cups? No.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    haha yeah

and somehow we are the bad guys because we dont want teams from other confeds in our confed cup

The gold cup used to have invited teams, I believe they dont anymore

25. Hill Giant

Hill Giant Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I believe that CONMEBOL invites teams from others confederations because the numbers of CONMEBOL's members are few compared with other confederations. So there are space for outside teams. And if they are B teams or C teams is a matter of opnion.

But in this topic there are different things being discussed. One discussion is about if a merger of CONCACAF with CONMEBOL would be a good thing or not. There are good arguments for both sides.

But this "geographic discussion" started with the argument that the Copa America don't have anything to do with geography reasons, that is actually a confederation's competition, and this is true. Copa America is the confederation's tournament; confederation that was created (like all others) with some geographic standard. And geographic patterns are nowadays used as arguments by those who think that the two confederations should be merged.

What I think on this issue is that I don't see any problem with a more integration between the two confederations. And as I said before, this competition that is suposed to happen in USA isn't Copa America but actually Pan American Championship.