Lynden Gooch at Stoke City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Can't find a stream anywhere -___-

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    @bungadiri Is he promoted out of the Academy forum?

Testudo and bungadiri repped this.
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be. I sense some nipple painting about to happen...

Winoman repped this.
  5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although to be honest, I need very little provocation to paint my nipples.

Sup Bro and CenterLine repped this.
  6. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo and Winoman repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure I haven't stumbled into an Ashley Madison forum?

russ, neems, USAMEX10 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32 repped this.
  9. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. I keep my wife apprised of everything I do on BS. To her shock and dismay, most of the time.

Winoman repped this.
  10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Well the kid won't ever get in over Defoe but surely he can get in over Danny Graham?

11. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch has versatility in his favor, I believe he can play out-wide and behind/off the striker.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If Gooch can keep up his performances for the U21s and occasionally sub with the full team, he could find himself getting a lot of time for Sunderland next year if they were to be relegated. Seems like a solid situation for him.

13. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    The Sunderland fans over on their message board (http://www.readytogo.net/smb/search/7835339/?q=gooch&o=relevance&c[node]=86) are clamoring for him to be in the 1st team now. Would be amazing if a guy who ended up not making the squad for the US at the U20 WC (a forward at that) ends up getting minutes in the Prem this season. There's a new Gooch in town, and his name is Lynden.

Gacm32, matabala, ttrevett and 2 others repped this.
  14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Isn't this the same message board that everyone was always upset with when it concerned Altidore..... Huh. How about that.

Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Always rated him :D. But yeah Tab could have used him at striker when Tall went down, oh well. Glad he has improved. Maybe he should get a look wth the U23s next camp before qualifying

16. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The thing is Gooch has a higher ceiling than Altidore. He's versatile, has a solid touch, vision, and finishing something Altidore lacked there

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure about that. Jozy's scoring a goal every three games or so for the NT and dominated the Eredivisie. Yeah, he struggled in the Premier League, but that doesn't mean that he's had a bad career. If Gooch can accomplish what Altidore does, I think he'll have had a good career.

I don't really rate Gooch, but good for him. I think when we can get players who aren't particularly good (relative to our player pool) to be playing at a high level regularly and have them as the fringe options is when we will start to see improvements with the different NT's that we have.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  18. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Yeah I wasn't saying to get our hopes up really high; however, he's getting very close to playing at a higher level than any other forward in our pool (save for AJ...maybe) and he's only 19. How many times have you seen him play live (or full-game video of him)? Just curious, new to this board and don't have a direct line to see many of our US youth league matches sans the U20 WC which he obviously wasn't involved with.

19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I tried that and was specifically told to "keep my internet doings to myself".

russ, bungadiri and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Sounds familiar.

russ repped this.
  21. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call to FirstStar and to bungadiri on the white courtesy phone. Something about Ashley Madison...

:eek:

:D

bungadiri repped this.
  22. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like Gooch. He's good with the ball at his feet. He's a threat from outside the box and he can slot it home from inside the box. I still find it hard to believe he has great potential.

I watched him play on numerous occasions with the U20s, and maybe it's a result of Tab playing him anywhere from the center forward to the box to box midfielder, but he never seemed to be a threat. Altidore always had great potential because of his combination of size/speed/strength/skill but he never really put it together. Other strikers in our pool definitely have a high potential. Morris has a great speed/strength combo and Rubin's quickness and vision really show that he can be a great 9.5 in the future. Gooch lacks top tier size or athleticism. Does that mean he can't be a great pro? No. But it may restrict how much of a force he can be in a few years time.

The one thing we can be happy about is that his floor seems very high. He's scoring and possibly playing better in the U21 league than Novakovich, Zelalem, and Hyndman and he's on the cusp of the first team of an EPL team so he's in a great spot.

matabala repped this.
  23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i just remember him hitting the crossbar a thousand times with the u-20's. good for him. hope to see him live because we never know how much he has improved

24. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like bballshawn said he's clearly improved since not being picked for the u20s probably used that as motivation. At this stage in development Gooch is doing all the right things I can definitely see him getting more appearances with the first team

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how anybody could say that when he's had 2 successful stints in MLS, a wildly successful Eredivisie spell and at 25 (still 25, folks) is the 5th leading scorer in USMNT history (27 in 83 caps), and if he gets 3 goals in his next 12 caps or 7 in his next 23 he'll match McBride then Wynalda on goals and games played. (BTW, had to go to wiki for those numbers since the US Soccer website is not up to date)