Lynden Gooch at Stoke City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the coach:

Lynden Gooch used his first team frustrations to good effect in Sunderland Under-23s cup exit to Newcastle. That’s the view of coach Elliott Dickman, who praised the forward for his impact.

Dickman praised his impact, adding: "Lynden did great. "He’s maybe a bit frustrated that he isn’t in the first team but he’s shown that he’s capable of doing a job, but it’s difficult to get into the first team. "At the end of the day the manager picks the team that he thinks is right for whatever game is there. From our perspective, he did well for us. "Like I say, he’s used that frustration to do what he did and he’s used it to good effect."

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/spor...d-impact-of-frustrated-lynden-gooch-1-9052644

They ended up losing 11-10 in PKs in the Premier League International Cup quarters.

wixson7, neems and Winoman repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Difficult to get in the first team? Why? They're a lousy team, dead last in the league, and putrid as per all observers.

TxEx and Winoman repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Gal Kaufman

Gal Kaufman New Member

DC United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2018
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You commented too quickly. I noticed my error.

Winoman and Gal Kaufman repped this.
  7. ben84621

ben84621 Member

May 28, 2005
    Denver
    Club:
    Torino FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got the start and earned the penalty that put them up 1-3 in their 1-4 win against Derby.

USAMEX10, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  8. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WOw good for Gooch a been struggling lately for PT. Hopefully he can build on this

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  9. The Jonald

The Jonald New Member

United States
    Jan 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Game is available on watchESPN. Gooch just created a chance by passing to a teammate in the box, who then forced a save. 22nd minute, 0-0.

wixson7 and Winoman repped this.
  11. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And again, beat his man, got to the touch line, put in a great cross leading to a header that's saved by the keeper.

wixson7 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

wixson7, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  13. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    He would get my vote for MOTM, and most of the comments on Ready To Go had him getting it, too.
    He's started the last three matches since returning from his purgatory, and I honestly think its the best stretch of three games I've seen him play. Playing wide, mostly on the right, although flipped to the left for an extended time today. Still playing with big energy, but now with some smarts. He looks dangerous. The Gooch of the fall and winter had some good moments but didn't really merit a callup. The one of the last three matches, if sustained, probably does, especially during this time of experimentation.

TheFalseNine, USAMEX10, wixson7 and 6 others repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rating & Man of the Match:

8 GOOCH: Produced an impressive display down the right-hand side, with his drive and energy aiding Sunderland’s attacking threat.

Man Of The Match: LYNDEN GOOCH – Sunderland’s American midfielder provided the kind of energetic attacking threat that has been absent on far too many occasions this season.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sp...ngs_from_the_Black_Cats__1_1_draw_with_Leeds/

15. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I’m just hoping if Sunderland do get relegated that he doesn’t go down with them. Hopefully they don’t but as it’s his boyhood club I’m sure he’d consider it but that would be terrible for his development.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, Gooch is a good journeyman of a player. He keeps his head down too much and plows away.

17. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He’s great at blowing past defenders though I’ll give him that. Going to a different club that’s more technical would make him a lot better and he could improve his vision/passing hopefully. Sunderland... not so much

USSoccerNova and LouisZ repped this.
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes playing himself into a move this last few games that's for sure, someone in at least the championship will take notice. I'm sure Sunderland will do all they can to keep him though. They seem like they'll bounce back up from league one so I don't know if its wise to tough it out with them down below and be one of the key cogs for them (if not THE key cog), or look at like Aston Villa, Leeds, Derby, Middlesbrough, some playoff level/promotion contending team like that.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I thought players were journeyman because they "journeyed" from team-to-team and city to city.

Gooch has been at Sunderland since 2012, when he was 16.

wixson7 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  20. bob347

bob347 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 15, 2017
    From Dictionary.com

Journeyman

2. any experienced, competent but routine worker or performer.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. Hope he finishes out the season strong and makes a move away from that shit show.

LouisianaViking07/09 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Don't know how well Gooch did, but see from the report that Sunderland couldn't hold onto the 3 points; Norwich scored a last gasp equalizer. Final score: 1-1. All results went their way, but dropping the points might guarantee Double Secret Relegation for s'land. I don't think this has ever happened to them in the club's entire history, especially since they have traditionally bounced right back up to the top level after getting relegated to the Championship/2nd Division/Whatever-They-Used-To-Call-It.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Pretty much. They're 6 points behind fourth-from-bottom Bolton with four games to play and third-from-bottom Barnsley have a game in hand. If Barnsley win that game, Birmingham go fourth last, seven points ahead of Sunderland with four to go.

You can see the logic behind Gooch staying - Sunderland will look to offload high earners in the summer, so PT should be available in the autumn - but the atmosphere is likely to turn really toxic in the summer. I'd be happy for him to go on loan to a League 2 promotion challenger, to be honest.

25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, according to the Norwich manager, perhaps Sunderland got lucky.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.