Lynden Gooch at Stoke City

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started for the U23s:

He went 90 in a 2-0 loss in PL Cup.

Exeter City: Williams, Collins, Dean, Hartridge, Byrne, Key (Randall 80), Jay, Kite, Sparkes, Brunt (Seymour 56), Loft.
    Subs not used:
    Norman, Dyer, Haynes.

Sunderland: Stryjek, Robson, Hume, Gamble, Rodwell (Taylor 45), Galloway, Gooch, Embleton, Shields (Connelly 57), McNair, Williams (Diamond 68).
    Subs not used: Patterson, Hackett.

https://www.safc.com/news/academy-news/2018/february/u23s-crash-out-of-pl-cup

Winoman repped this.
  3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland seems to be sinking still. Sucks for Gooch and sucks even more that he a) can't crack this dumpster fire and b) is relegated to the u-23's in their own futile efforts

4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    What’s the next move for him? Back to MLS?

5. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I think he should just come back to MLS at this point. His fast but lack of skill play fits well.

He hasn’t improved much if at all.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's never been in a MLS club though, so I think he's free to negotiate where he goes.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he quality enough for the Championship? or would he need to move to say League 1

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, he's been playing in the Championship but lost his spot because he didn't look good enough. Since he looked below-average in a relegation candidate, that makes him a League One player.

About USL level, or weak MLS level, I guess.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Though, didn't he have some decent-to-good performances when he did feature in the PL?

adam tash repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not in my opinion, but I've never been a fan of his style of play, so I may be biased.

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Isn't this a little early to be talking about accepting defeat and slinking off home? All that's missing is the tail between his legs. He's just turned 22 (on Xmas Eve, no less) and already has 48 appearances in the English pyramid. Not the next Landon Donovan, but then he never was, was he? If he's finished at Sunderland, he can still reasonably hope to get a deal at a decent League One side that will enable him to rebound to at least Championship level, where the money will be better than MLS for some time to come.

It can go wrong of course, but if you're in his shoes it's worth a try. Succeed, and you're in the money and with a lot more control over where you play than MLS will allow; fail and you can still give MLS a crack in 2 years or so.

LouisianaViking07/09, Winoman and TxEx repped this.
  12. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Don’t believe he’s on the allocation list, but not sure about the discovery list. Is the discovery list still a thing?

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the guy needs to find his level where he can start regularly for the team. Whether that is D1, D2 or non-league, the kid needs to find a place and play a long run of games. He ain't getting any younger. Clearly the prem is not his level, nor is the C'ship. Maybe the SPL?

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Give this man the chicken dinner ;)

Between the bottom end of the Championship and League One is the level of most of the SPL teams, but it's a good enough level if he doesn't rebound quickly, and there's always the chance that a late career surge (at 27-28) could see him picked up by one of the Old Firm. The odds are against him, of course, but stranger things have happened.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The last post should read "Between the bottom end of the Championship and League One is the level of most of the mid-range SPL teams, . . "

Apologies

16. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016

Lynden was just on You Know The Drill with SoccerAM. Did pretty well for himself ;)

Winoman repped this.
  17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its not exact science but I love looking at club rankings when this stuff is mentioned. Sunderland is the second worse Championship side at 404 just below Montreal fwiw and the closest SPL team is Hibernian at 399. According to 538. 6 MLS teams and 7 SPL teams rank lower and no League 1 team is ranked.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't play. Not sure if I am disappointed that he doesn't even play for such a bad team, or happy that he's not contributing to this dumpster fire.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He has a contract until the summer of 2019. Wonder if he'll have to take a pay cut once they go down to League One.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And scores a PK on a penalty he drew:

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. DrakeSC

DrakeSC Member

Aug 28, 2017

neems, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cap him, Dave!

25. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his contract is up next season, I can't imagine they won't listen to offers. The only question is whether he's been scouted and someone will come for him. Hard to tell.

I'd be interested in an update, if anyone knowledgeable might know something we missed (@bshredder )