Luis Silva?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Silva doesn't create as much as we'd want and needs to improve his passing.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm as happy with Silva as the next DC United fan but anyone who sees him as a sure thing for the US Mens team must just be looking at his highlights.

bballshawn and onefineesq repped this.
  3. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, he got traded to a last place team that immediately flushed everyone on the team EXCEPT him the built the team around him and within one year they are in first place. I think your comment is a bit cavalier. Silva is MORE than just a random floating scorer. Perhaps, he is exactly what the USMNT needs. Every other attempt to bring forwards like Shea and others has not worked so well. He's earned a chance to show
    Unfair comment. Soccer is about chemistry of the right players with specific talents to offer. Obviously we didn't have what it took last World Cup to get deep enough into the tourney. Coach Kling knows what he's doing. I would not be surprised if he called Silva up just like he did his UCSB college teammate and current pro teammate Chris Pontius.

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Please take this theory to the DCU boards. Get a general consensus and come back.

bballshawn repped this.
  5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I was going to say--that's not at all how it went

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva is an intriguing prospect, but in order for him to move to the next level, he either needs to have more highlights, or do more in the interstices between the highlights. He's basically a guy who drifts along 99% of the match and does something great the other 1%. Either that ratio needs to change to 98%-2%, or he's got to do better in the 99%.
    The part in bold is flat untrue.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Time was consensus on DC boards was that Ben Olsen should be fired.

DC weren't built around Silva but the team's center of gravity is clearly moving his way. DC don't excel at the possession or passing so he doesn't see a great amount of the ball. Would he excel in a system that demanded he get on the ball more? Tough to say.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's any center of gravity for DC, it's Espindola. As for the passing, I don't see how he'd excel if he got the ball more as he has one of the lower passing completion ratings in the starting 11. He also averages less passes than most of his teammates.

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For people who actually watch DCU games (not directed at you, but the few who just see highlights) Silva has thrived with Espindola, but has looked subpar with other players and just awful with EJ.

I think Espindola, an improved DCU defense, and a healthy midfield are the major reasons for DCUs rise from the grave.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This.

He does have some great 'vision' of plays but has a lack fo consistency with his accuracy of passes. Too many times I would see him pressured and he either gets dispossessed because he's trying to do too much and hasn't learned yet how to release at the right time--or when he does release because he's rushed it comes off nerve'y and inaccurate.

He's a great player, but I think right now his best role is as a finisher as a supporting striker. Him and Espindola have a great relationship on the field and it will continue to prove success wtih the right opponent.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  11. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of this with the exception of the "great". He's good, but not great.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I very clearly stated the center of gravity at DC was moving Silva's way.

Silva has thrived with a number of partners just not with EJ who should be moved to right midfield.

Silva had an 82% pass completion rate across 13 matches with DC last season. He was at 69% with TFC across 11 matches. Tactics, surrounding players, and position played matter.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. So I disagree that the gravity is moving towards Silva. I have not seen any evidence of that at all. What evidence have you seen that would lead you to that statement? Other than Espindola, who has Silva thrived with? Silva played a different role last year. The role he played on the worst team in MLS history was less attacking. Of course the whole team was less attacking. His numbers support that.

Now that DC is pushing the attack more, his passing percentage has gone down. Most likely due to the nature of the types of passes he's attempting. He's having a decent season on a good DC team. That's something to celebrate, as a DC fan. Is he a great player or one that should be in the starting 11 for the USMNT? Nope. Though, I'm okay if he gets called up in January for a look-see.

Moving EJ to right midfield would be a disaster for DC.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    To the point that Olsen seems to think of Silva and EJ as an either/or option these days, often substituting one for the other, with Silva the deserved starter recently.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    7 key passes, 3 tackles, and 2 ints in the match against SKC. Becoming increasingly pivotal to the team. He hasn't subbed into a match since May. 6 goals and 2 assists in his last 9 starts.

adam tash, Pl@ymaker and USAMEX10 repped this.
  16. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I've watched Silva since his college days. You can do all the stats you want but this guy is a winner. There's no coincidence that he and Pontius share the same winning ways.... They were trained by the same coach in college Tim Vom Steeg - one of the best. Silva and Pontius make sh!t happen. I swear you guys sound like NFL combine guys who declare guys who haven't even made the team future Hall of Famers based on their 40 yard time. Jesus, Mary and Joeseph!

adam tash repped this.
  17. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Did you guys watch the USA vs. Ecuador game today? Bobby Wood #23??? This guy sucks! Got nutmeg he'd and beat numerous times in addition blowing several 1 vs 1 in front of goal. You got to be kidding. Silva is way better than this guy. Flush wood, insert Silva or Pontius....

adam tash, Pl@ymaker and USAMEX10 repped this.
  18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Pontius wasn't made of glass during those 3 call ups he had to decline due to injury.

Anyways while Luis Silva isn't a sure thing I do agree with your sentiment. I don't see Morales or Wood as USMNT quality. Hopefully Klinsmann doesn't mess up on identifying MLS players to bring in for looks. No guarantees of course but he does need to look domestically. There are definitely options to try.

bsacco repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann should've let Ibarra play. He is a like a faster version of Silva.

20. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Interesting...Did you know that Silva played against Ibarra in college numerous times as they were Big West conference rivals. I agree that Ibarra should have got a look during that game...but as you saw, Coach K was rotating tons of players through that game and it upset the flow of play because guys like Wood sucked so bad it killed any momentum. I hope hope Klins took note and starts fishing for players in the MLS that deserve a look. We need new blood. I actually was jones-ing for Donavan to come back in for the 2nd half! THough, , overall I think Klins has done a great job. It's not his fault Wood sucks. He didn't develop Woods. He has to stress-test guys to see if they have the muster. I think he's a bit stuck with players that were identified by a U.S. system that favored athleticism over pace and tech ability. He's turning the aircraft carrier around...it just takes a while...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Looks like it may take a big year to get that call up from JK. Otherwise, Silva may have to explore other options.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha ha... this post could have been after lots of recent US games. I hope he turns into something some day, but he's not there now.
    As for Silva, he's coming off an injury, but I'm not sure he's ready for National Team callup. If he has another year that's better than last year then he should be in consideration.

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva is not consistent enough to get a call-up. Of the DC players only PK and Birnbaum were really in the running for USMNT time and they got it (though I was surprised with Birnbaum but he does fit the Cupcake profile).

Silva and Pontius would need huge consistent years to get a sniff and rightly so.

James

24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Silva's problem was that he was sub par playing with ANYONE except Espindola.

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will have at least six matches to prove that he can play with others thanks to Espindola's stupidity.

James