Luis Silva?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jul 29, 2013.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha...unintentional Comedy at its finest!

to spell it out for you.....your criticism of silva could apply to basically EVERY USMNT PLAYER. Thing is, Players like silva havent confirmed they cannot create more than a few shots on Goal against Teams like panama b....while the first string has.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To be fair, if Lee Nguyen arguably our best american '10' in MLS for the last year or so, can't do the same as he did in the league for the NT, how can we expect a guy like Silva who isn't as good as Lee?

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Because MLS play doesn't directly translate to international play?

4. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lee needs more reps with the A team before we can judge. Needs quick guys who make runs so he can thread the needle. Look at what he did vs Colombia in such a short time.. Silva should be given a chance too

5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva needs to have a breakout start to the season and as he is coming back from injury it doesn't appear that it will happen. DC fans aren't completely sold on him as a game changing player but he does link up well with Espindola.

If he can have a strong season that sees his game greatly improve he should be considered - he isn't there yet.

James

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I don't think Lee has been given a fair shot at the "10" on the national team. His first game was 45 min. and look better than most, since then he had just spot minutes here and there. I don't think JK knows what he has in him, hopefully, he can get a start one day.

7. Cristobal

Cristobal Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Falls Church
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First thing he needs to do is stay healthy so he can actually play. He has shown some flashes when he plays but he needs to show it over a full season and then we can really see what he's made of.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, he is definitely a starter for DC United when healthy. They simply do not have enough play making coming out of midfield without him. Without him it's just Espindola and whatever Deleon/Rolfe/Pontius are offering on the day. Dreadful stuff.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  9. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say he's a starter as long as Espindola is a starter. Both of them play well with one another. However, Silva has not shown as well when paired with any of the other forwards. Besides, he's not really a play maker. He had a good season last year, with regards to goals. However, he's never had a great season creating goals for any of the clubs he's been with. He's had his best showings, in MLS, as an off-forward being involved in build up and finishing plays but never as the one pulling the strings.

I don't see how he would necessarily do that well in the current USMNT set up that is starving for a great playmaker.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play making is not just assist. His off the ball movement is enough for United that is.

11. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His off the ball movement is enough to consider him a playmaker? I have to say that's the first time I've ever heard that argument used. I think it's quite the stretch but I'll give you bonus points for creativity.

12. Cusesoccer99

Cusesoccer99 Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Anybody know when Silva will be back for D.C. United? He has been out awhile.

13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially back for the start of the season but I suspect it may be another week or two.

14. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Silva should replace Altidore against Mexico. This kid is going places

spcuam repped this.
  15. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Yes or not?

He is clearly talented just like Agudelo.

Should he get a real chance?

Details please.

16. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no.;)

Maybe in camp cupcake this winter if he starts to dominate and RSL can turn their season around.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Why didn't you just bump your original Silva thread? It's got plenty of discussion already in it.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/luis-silva.1991454/

18. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Couldn't find it

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. He's not very good. For some reason he attracts a large cult following of Latino fans, but coaches paid to win games don't think all that highly of him.

Gacm32 repped this.
  20. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Last wc we had Evans, Davis, Suzi and Wondo oh and a 16 years old.

Let see what new terrible choices Arena makes for this one.

So far we have Zardes, Acosta, Dax.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Suzi?

22. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Who was 16? Smh.

23. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Just waiting for Zardes and his 1 assists to be in the next roster.

Want to hear all the nonsense, it will be funny and sad.

24. LeYankee

LeYankee New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 20, 2017
    I follow the USMNT pretty religiously, and it took me a long minute to remember who Luis Silva even was. He's that far off the radar. Best I can tell, he had one good season in 2014 and one great goal last week. In between, he was buried on the bench in Mexico and often even at Salt Lake until recently. So, no, I wouldn't expect him to get a first look at 28 years old. Christian Ramirez and C.J. Sapong are having far better seasons and were more on the radar last year, and neither of them is a sure thing even for the January camp given their similar age and lack of national team experience to this point.

I'm no Zardes fan and would prefer he not make any USMNT roster, but even he has a stronger case. He was just as good as Silva in 2014, didn't fall quite as far off the face of the Earth after that, is a few years younger, and isn't a total unknown in the international context. McCarty and Acosta aren't terribly relevant since they play different positions than Silva, but McCarty is a more more accomplished player for his position, and Acosta is at least young and showing some potential. They also aren't buried behind a pile of better and younger options at their position. That said, I'd like to see Williams leap over both of them in the depth chart.

25. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's on the roster we are f'd