Luis Silva?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jul 29, 2013.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Im a true believer that he should have gone to Spain after high school, but he made his choice of going to college.

Any chance of him ever getting a call for the National Team?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    After LD and Zusi he's one of the best American playmakers..period. He'll get a call up eventually. Question is if it's this cycle or next. Moving to a better team like DC will give him a better chance to show his worth. I'd call him up for Jan. Camp or a friendly later in the year.

MUTINYFAN and bsacco repped this.
  3. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just funny seeing the sentence "to a better team like DC". I mean I know it's technically true but still. He needs to show consistency in order to get called in, although I can see him gettting a look in camp strudel.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His chances have gone down 5 notches since joining DC.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's one for the next cycle along with the Rowe's and Nagbe's(hopefully) of MLS.

bsacco repped this.
  6. man_in_the_middle

May 2, 2008
    I wouldn't write him off completely if he continues to do well at DC. But where would you play him right now?I doubt he could help the US this cycle but I wouldn't mind a call up.

When I watch him he reminds me a lot of Joe Corona although maybe not quite as productive.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

7. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    uhhh..

8. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Corona is all right foot.

Silva can use both feet better, he can dribble better as well.

bsacco and USAMEX10 repped this.
  9. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    if he was as good as some think why would Toronto FC trade him for allocation money?

10. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well DC isn't going to the playoffs, so maybe he'll get a chance in November

11. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well one uneducated answer is they need the money to buy foreign players more than they need another player who is already in the MLS. They signed Alvero Rey last week and now reportedly they are after some guy named Jonas Elmer from the Swiss Challenge league. Oh, and Forlan.

(no I don't know that much about TFC, just did some reading because I thought your question was fair)

12. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the main attacking cog for Toronto. He was their best player last year and coming back from injury was beginning to re-gain his form.

He's very similar to Dempsey in the respect that he has no real position but he's an attacking threat no matter where he's played. He should have been called into camp Cupcake last January but playing on a horrible team never helps unknowns.

He's one of these players that you know will play for the national team in the future. DC made out like bandits by getting him.

bsacco repped this.
  13. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dont want to sound like a homer.

I played with him when he was 17, he made a big mistake going to college, I heard had offers to go straight to Mexican primera right after high school.

That being said, it seems like in Toronto the players didnt speak his "futbol" language, Silva is a player that will take on 3 or 4 players if he has to, very good dribbler, very flashy, it may be bc he grew up playing with Salvadorans in Los Angeles.

That does not mean he is ready for the national team but it will be interesting to see if he can play at that level, if somehow he can adjust next to Dempsey :eek: I can see him doing Magico Gonzalez stuff in there, maybe a little slower but the style is very similar.

Silva is a true latin #10, a player that can pass, dribble, score and will put the team on his shoulder.

Again, no saying he will be great at the international level but we will never know until he has the chance.

Pl@ymaker and bsacco repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    camp cupcake strudel pastel

15. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually thinking the same thing the other day watching him. He definitely handles his business in the hole as a 10. There aren't many pure 10's in the US pool with exception to Dempsey and Donovan. Says alot.

As gutted as a homer could be, he should leave DC and find some serious playing time in Europe. With his footballing IQ, it would be nice to see him link up with EJ and Jozy.

#scary

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's a good player, with a team full of some hungry, young guys. If he can keep this up...I don't see why not.

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You just said something big, "IQ."

It seems like if Silva is put on a team with players with similar style, with the same "IQ" or players that he can "click" with, he will do big things...

Again, we will never know how good he will do in Europe or in the National Team until he is there.

bsacco repped this.
  18. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Honestly I haven't seen any of Silva's play because I haven't seen a DC or a Toronto game in awhile, but I was wondering how he compares with the other Luis (Gil) in SLC? It sounds like they are pretty similar in how and where they play? Can anyone provide a comparison?

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Silva is more 'finness (sp)' and Gil is more 'agressive' in his play but still has that finess factor. I actually think it's a good comparison, but Gil isn't as polished but probably will surpass him in a couple of years. Rigth now I put Silva a tad' bit above Gil (who was a beast in the U20 WC though!).

Tejas repped this.
  21. Bobbyho36

Bobbyho36 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes. Because we all know that Toronto FC have never made a foolish personnel decision before.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  22. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey's game isn't remotely close to that of 10. He may play in the hole but he operates as a secondary striker, not as a pure playmaker.

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I havent seen great things from Gil, Villareal impress me more.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If you watched the U20 WC, you'd say the opposite. Villarreal was the opposite. Unimpressibve the whole tournament, with Gil being the brightest star of that team.....who actually under performed.

Gil scored the only goal against the pouncing that Spain had on USA.

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I saw all the games, I watched the game against Spain live, he scored when they were already down.

None of them looked good in the tournament.

I may be wrong, I havent seem enough of Gil for his club butlike I said, I have been more impressed with Villareal.

Did you see the goal he scored against Madrid? :eek: