Luis Robles at Kaiserslautern II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Zak1FCK, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has consistently said he will play for the US.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the rate of his development this season he could get that call this summer. The guy's worked his ass off, made his way up the latter at FCK, and has put together a string of good showings. I've seen 4 or 5 of his matches via streaming and he's impressed each time. I'm just amazed at how quickly he move side-to-side which allows for that awesome vertical. I'd gladly like to see him challenge for the US #3.

3. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    So Armas said he would play in PR and look how that ended, the point is dont step on a mans dreams :(

4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But aren't you stepping on his dreams?

5. 2ndAveFC

2ndAveFC Member

Mar 23, 2004
    LAX
    Luis played another 90 minutes last night, but FCK lost 2-0.

Maybe I'm just pulling for the guy, but for all the griping we do about our Yanks Abroad not playing/not making the bench/etc, this is a great story.

6. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the two goals, Robles played and excellent match. It could have been a lot worse. First goal was a pk, which should not have been, and the second a defensive mistake. For the second time in a row he is named the only "best player" for Kaiserslautern.

7. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Its a joke, I dont expect him to go with PR, our federation is a joke, I would blame any Puerto Rican for going with the USA over PR right now its just the smart choice, the sad thing is if our federation was half as decent as the USA we would actually have a team capable of making the world cup.

8. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't want to continue off topic, but the problem for Puerto Rico isn't that it can't keep players who grew up in Puerto Rico who have ties to other countries, it's that they're forced to attract players who have Puerto Rican ties but grew up in other countries to commit to Puerto Rico permanently.

Obviously, this is an easier feat for a country like Italy than for Puerto Rico and, like you said, you can't blame a player with a Puerto Rican background but who grew up in the States for holding out for the USMNT.

9. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty bad performance for the team's first loss at home. Robles was named one of the best players again.

I heard a rumor involving Robles and Sippel that I am trying to track down. It is good for Robles.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's quite a compliment for Robles considering he made a huge gaffe and still was one of the best players yesterday. Goes to show how terribly shocking they were, especially the second half. No one stood out but but I do have to agree Luis may have been less terrible than the rest!

Please track down that rumor, I'm interested!! If it has anything to do with Tobias being upset at losing the #1 it's understandable but Luis has showed he doesn't deserve to have it taken away. Unlucky for Tobias. But that's the way it goes.

11. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Robles trying to be the first player this year to be listed in both columns of First Star's Yanks Abroad Goal Scorers List.

12. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I wonder what is being said here.

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Kaiserslautern were defeated today by FSV Frankfurt 1-0. Robles got the start in goal.

14. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win over Koblenz to stop the 3 game slide. Kaiserslautern move into 4th place.

Robles played really well in goal, being named one of the best players again. Ball possession was extremely low for Kaiserslautern, 39%, as was the duels won, 38%. He had to come out a lot including one where he collided with one of his defenders making a great save.

15. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article that appeared prior to the game. Robles did the weekly press conference, still needs to improve his German. He talks about not knowing if he was going to continue to start when Sippel came back from injury and the US calling him up for the Sweden game.

16. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Robles desperately attempting to make a save while Koblenz's Kuqi taps in the free kick rebound. It is all for not, since the goal is ruled to have crossed the line and credited to Lomic after the shot goes off of the cross bar and then Robles back. Lucky for Koblenz since Kuqi was offisides.

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I know it's been answered before, but how does promotion work in Germany?

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correct me someone if im wrong but i think they changed it up this season. Top two go up from BL2, bottom 2 go down from BL1. third place in BL2 goes in a home-away playoff against 16th place BL1 team for the last promotion and/or survival spot. That was just arranged this year if im not mistaken (the playoff)

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get an English translation of the above article? Thanks.

20. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is correct.

21. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a paraphrased translation of the highlighted portions:

First Paragraph:

After the winter break the "Red Devils" slipped three places to fifth in the table, reversing that trend is important stresses goalkeeper Luis Robles. "It is normal to have weak moments during the course of a season," the American says. "However fixing/turning it around (?) shows the quality of the teams at the end of the season. The 24th philosophized, "if we win against Koblenz now, we have a good chance of being amongst those teams at the end."

Second Paragraph:

The calm Robles, which received the preference over Sippel in the second half of the season (literally back round) feels the meaning of today's game regardless of the derby. He notices that pressure grows with the serious of defeats. "Clearly one thinks about the next game over the current one," says the ?(maybe error free, it literally translates un on rain) and solidly playing keeper, which new it was an excellent opportunity in his career when Sippel was injured at the end of October. After recovery the number 1 position was open. Robles, which signed a contract to 2010 last season, insures, "I always give my best, but shortly before the second half of the season I did not know, out of the two of us, who would play."

Third Paragraph:

During the winter preparation with the FCK, the 1.83 meter (6 feet) let a another opportunity pass-- he would guard the gate for the US National Team against Sweden. "However the club had priority", in this important phase of preparation; the finance degree from Sierra Vista, Arizona stresses. Now he hopes for another call before the international matches this summer. His personal goal in Germany? To guard the gate (be in the goal) for the Red Devils. "And to play in the Bundesliga possibly," the son of a South Korean and Puerto Rican adds. The first step in the current crisis (probably too strong a word) cannot wait. A victory against Koblenz remains the short term objective.

22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

So he turned down a camp cupcake call up. That's good to know that Bradley has him in his sights.

I say he gets called into the Gold Cup (possibly as the #2 behind Guzan).

23. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team turned down a call up, and rightly so considering the situation there, for camp cupcake. He will get a Gold Cup call up and do not be surprised if he gets one this March.

24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks...I'd rep you again if I could.:D

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member