Luis Robles at Kaiserslautern II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Zak1FCK, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zak, gotta couple of questions for ya! How's Sipples broken arm healing and when is he scheduled to return? Will he be good to go when play resumes after the winter break or have to wait a while? Additionally Robles, from what I've gathered and from the 2 games I've actually seen, looks comfortable, confident, and like a #1 not a backup. Will Robles have a reasonable chance to retain the #1 shirt or is it Sipples when he comes back? Regardless I say it is a nice dilemma for a manager to have. Having seen both, they impress me, two different styles but similar results. If Sipple is the #1 choice I wonder if Robles has caught the eye of anyone.

2. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have not heard how Sippel's arm is healing yet. He is not scheduled to be back in training until the team goes to Cypress for winter break training on January 8, and that is best case scenario.

While Robles has done well between the posts, the coach was saying he breathed a sigh of relief with Robles' first couple of performances, the job will go back to Sippel once he is ready.

Robles has benefited immensely from training under Gerry Erhman. He signed a new contract until 2011 over the summer. Kaiserslautern is going to need a good backup, like Robles, for at least another year, especially if they get promoted. I could see him attracted some interested, but staying on at least another year.

3. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robles injured in training. Looks like he injured a muscle, but my German with medical terms is pretty suspect. He had to break off training. The coach is worried, Robles not as much. He feels he can play.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If it was one of his pecs, then it's pretty serious because that's, like, a 1/3 of his muscle mass.

5. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Him tearing a pec would be like me tearing a quad

6. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robles is a probable between the sticks.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaiserslautern just beat direct rival for promotion Freiburg today 2-0. Not sure how Robles did or if he had alot to do, another clean sheet though.

8. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A number of great saves throughout the game:

Results

This moves them into second place, only behind Mainz on goal differential.

9. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any highlights out there?

10. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I am trying to find the photo of a save he made on a corner late in the game. A perfect example of his unbelievable verticle. Got a hand on it above the crossbar while it is crossing in front of the goal.

11. Iwazrobbed

Iwazrobbed New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    What are Robles' chances of keeping the starting spot? It seems like he's done very well thus far.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been noted that once Sipple is healthy, Robles with slide back into the #2 role. Of course anything could happen as I haven't heard an update on his broken arm. That's not a slight on Robles. Sipple is good, real good in fact and a German youth international.. He's 20 and I could seem him breaking into the full national team at some point down the road. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, Robles has impressed enough to at least warrant a fight from Sipple or sparked some interest from other clubs.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id say the later is more likely, the Gladbach folks keep talking about how they need a new keeper, i wonder if thats plausible

14. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge win today. Staying above that third spot is critical.

15. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robles is named one of the best players of the match. Two local articles, first being a round up of the game with a couple quotes from Robles:

Second being an opinion piece, that mentions how Robles has stepped up:

16. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Impressive - how long has he been at Kaiserslautern II now?

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Robles has been with Kaiserslautern since January of 07.

18. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is just me, but one of my big reasons/fascinations/desires for Yanks going Abroad and Yanks being Abroad is how it affects our national team. But when it comes to positions we are deep at (I think everyone would agree we are deepest at goalkeeper and defensive mid) - I don't get as excited. For instance, Luis Robles. Now as a Hispanic American, I'm proud that a Latino has gone overseas and is making a name for himself. But at the same time, he's a goalkeeper , and I do feel we are fairly deep here and not only that, but some of our best goalkeepers are young. So to see another young goalkeeper succeeding in Europe doesn't get me as excited as it would if it were a attacking or outside midfielder or a forward for instance. Is it just me or does anybody else feel like that.

Again I'm not taking anything away from Robles and what he's managed to accomplish so far. Also, I know it's always better to have depth than not have it, it's just something to throw out there.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hear what you are saying but this kid is really on the fast track (IMO) and I think is a good dark horse candidate for the 3rd GK in 2010 and 2014.

20. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his chances of making the roster for 2010 are reliant upon either beating Sipple out or transferring to another club where he can get PT. Otherwise it will be difficult to beat out Hahnemann, Perkins, etc. if they stay in form and are consistent starters.

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed but I am also not enamored with Hahneman or our other options for the 3rd keeper spot (Perkins is it right now IMO).

22. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahnemann is also 36 years old. I think Robles is like 26 (?). So he has age on his side. And I agree, if he can transfer to a bigger club to get more playing time, it would help him greatly. But, 1FCK are a big club, even though they are in the BL2. I am sure he is getting noticed somewhere.

23. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 24.

24. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to matabala, he isn't really with Kaiserslautern II at the moment. He has been playing for the first team due to an injury to the number one goalkeeper, Tobias Sippel.

Sippel will be returning at some point after the winter break, so it remains to be seen whether Robles will remain the starter or return to his backup role.

And perhaps Zak can weigh in here...just how highly is Sippel reguarded? Being 20 years old and the starter at a large club like Kaiserslauten is a major achievement, even if they are currently in the Budesliga 2.

25. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future German national team player hands down. Better than Fromlowitz and a much better attitude. He trained as a baker, so you know he has good hands.