Rumor: Luis Montes incoming?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, May 31, 2017.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fortcollins, jrowe13 and kucsdat repped this.
  2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 22SteveD, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Only prediction I can make is the stupid Mexican GK Chant will see an increase, we need more then him to improve the attack and I really don't like the signing especially after seeing the cost.

Edit: Jason where are you getting info, I don't see anything on Rapids feeds

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here and there, the link in my post for most of it, report on Facebook for the 3 year/$3 million number.

4. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I agree that this is a sell more tickets move, not a real attempt to improve the team, so the reports are probably accurate. Ugh.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    If the contract for Montes is indeed 3 year at $3 million per it's a mistake for a number of reasons.

1. He's not that good
    2. It ties up money that could be spent on other quality signings
    3. It sends a message saying that it's about names (Howard & Montes) rather than building a side that works well together and is in the hunt for silverware.

6. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing the Rapids are after 3 players this summer: 2 attacking and 1 defender. This signing fits that chatter. That's a lot of money, though.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing similar chatter. Though my faith in "rapids signing chatter" is about 0

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    About the money--is it a lot? I think he's a good player. Granted, age and health, I don't know where he's at. I saw more of him pre-leg break.

Anyway, if it's a million dollar salary--younger South Americans will make less, but then the cap hit can be similar since there's usually a transfer free.

They certainly are more than one player away, so if they only have a million, that's a bit of conundrum. Seems like it's easier (for anyone, not just the Rapids) to find one million dollar player than two $500,000 players.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would absolutely love to see Montes in a Rapids kit. Montes has that short stocky build that ride tackles and plays with a little fiery edge. Though he does rack up his fair share of yellows. His passing and first touch has always been top notch and has a canon from distance. I am not sure Montes necessarily fits the Rapids "style" but we have no real style so maybe he could give us a base. He kinda sorta reminds me of a Javi Morales with a Dax McCarty feistiness to him.

Montes has been fine since his leg break and has showed really no signs of it effecting his career. He has pretty much been the model of consistency. Montes really only missed the 2014 Apetura after the leg break and retained his spot almost immediately. He has started 73 of 84 matches in Liga MX since the break including all but one league match this league. At 31, age is of real no concern. Plenty left in the tank.

At the rumored $3M.......now that is a little hefty but there is no question Montes is DP material and would be a HUGE upgrade. I heard things here and there that Montes name could put a few more butts in the stands and this is a marketing signing. I doubt that. He is clearly well known in MX, clearly an outstanding player, but has been an off-and-on MX international. Montes big name but not a "Mexican star" - if you will.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @m vann, any concern about his numbers? They are not impressive for somebody we're going to be relying on to fix the offense.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His numbers don't wow you on paper that is for sure. I was a little shocked when I looked them up. Admittedly, I have just seen a few Leon matches here and there over the past year. Again, admittedly it was when William Yarbrough was called up to the US and I wanted to see him out of curiosity. But with that said.......Montes was no doubt integral to their attack. The ball flowed through him. The end product -- i.e. assist -- did not necessarily came off his foot. Many times we was slinging the ball sideline to sideline to putting Elias Hernandez in position to whip the ball into the ever dangerous Mauro Boselli. "Hockey" assist champion ----- I don't know but he looked dangerous and looked active in those handful of matches. Numbers can be deceiving. As we know they don't always tell the whole story. He shared a butt load of the playmaking with Elias Hernandez. That could be some of it. I am not sure. I did like what I saw. Montes stood out.

jayd8888, kucsdat, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  12. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm intrigued, but who is Montes supposed to pass to?

Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. Brett Favre's first completed pass was to himself. Sooooo why can't Montes do the same? Just sayin'..........;) :D

fortcollins, jayd8888 and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnfc.us/story/3137550/...-montes-in-talks-with-colorado-rapids-sources

Reputable source Jeff Carlisle is reporting that Montes and Rapids have held talks but talks are in the preliminary stage. It should be noted that Montes is out of contract this summer. So he is available of a free. That would make the reported $3M a little easier to swallow - not much mind you - since no transfer fee would be exchanged. Nonetheless, where there's smoke..............

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree w/M.Vann's scouting report (aside from his health after the injury, as I've not seen him as much since then).

I'd think Montes would have more impact as a shooter and making late runs than as a playmaker. Though he will add in that area as well (being a competent attacking player compared to what the Rapids have).

jayd8888 and m vann repped this.
  16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

Paranoid Coyote, m vann and kucsdat repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Badji can block his own shot, Montes can snag an unofficial assist on a goal he scores.

jayd8888 and m vann repped this.
  18. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    So he's an attacking midfielder...our new starting left back for Pablo, right?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Skillful but slow attacking midfielder with a great left foot. Hmm don't we already have one of those.

20. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo Balboa and Diego Balado were discussing this possible signing during the Timbers vs. Earthquakes game on UniMas. Marcelo brought it up and the other broadcasters assumed he must know something about Montes coming to the Rapids. They did not say a deal was made, just that there had been discussions and possibly offers made by Colorado, but the commentators were not convinced that's where he would be going when his contract expires, though they said MLS could certainly be a possible destination for him. For Marcelo to bring it up during the broadcast, and him having the Club Leon connection, seems to suggest it might be happening, or that at least a serious offer has been made.

On a side note, when asked which MLS teams are playing the most attractive soccer in the MLS, Marcelo responded with Portland, Atlanta, and Kansas City, while for Diego Balado, Toronto FC and FC Dallas were playing the best soccer. Then there was a sarcastic question to Marcelo about the soccer being played by the Rapids, to which Chelo responded (translated and paraphrased) "not very good soccer by the Rapids right not, not much style, not attractive. There are quite a few changes happening at the club now, etc."

rapidogordo, 22SteveD, kucsdat and 4 others repped this.
  21. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to snipe at this, didn't you give a glowing endorsement on Kevin Doyle and that didn't turn out so well.

I see a guy who could have a lot of trouble with the MLS and frankly I would never support a DP contract from even the high light real I have watched. I question if Pablo would even play him.

Speaking of playing, Serena sure has fallen off the face of the earth since returning from his injury.

m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did. Yup. I thought it was going to be a win-win for both. It made sense. It hasn't worked out as well as I thought. I'm not ready to call him a bust quite yet. It's trending that way --- quickly. If we had someone to get him the ball like a Montes we might be singing a different tune.

Anyways....... the real issue is the Rapids have killed the careers of many decent players regardless of my endorsement or not ;) :D

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montes apparently to stay at Leon (this is the second source I've heard this from):

COMtnGuy, kucsdat and m vann repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Hope there are multiple backup plans. Whether or not Montes was the right guy for the Rapids or not, but they clearly need to get a couple of attacking type players this summer. I say this knowing that doing so may not make much of a difference this season, but still want to see a commitment from the RFO to improving the talent level.

COMtnGuy, kucsdat, m vann and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This seems to happen fairly often. Not sure if this was a real target/rumor or just Montes trying to drive up his price with Leon. Either way, we will hear the person we *really* wanted was XXXXX.

rod

Stuart95, fortcollins, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.