Luis Gil at FK Viktorie Žižkov (Czech Republic)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 30, 2015.

1. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He's gunna make guys eat crow that's for sure if he keeps it up. Hopefully change of scenery is his catalyst to success at club level. Some players need that to thrive. Not only style wise but coaching as well will be immense. Vucetich is a great coach. He's getting better coaching at Queretaro (not to slight mls I like mls a lot but it is facts). He's got a ton of experiencing and has won five league championships with FOUR different clubs and was even interim coach for Mexico for a bit. If someone can unlock Gil's true potential like we've seen at every level on the NT stage with Luis, Vuce is a guy that can do it.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't care if someone disagrees, but what you tried to do is intellectually honest.

The point made was that I thought Gil made a bad decision signing with a team in a perceived better league when at the end of his time with RSL he couldn't even keep control of a spot in the 18 of a team in a perceived worse league. Thats not a logical step that most players make, and I've made clear that I don't buy the league suits him better excuse and because of that he needed to go to a different league and see if he magically is a much better player.

I hope I'm wrong though. I've been a big fan of Gil for many years, but what I've seen from him in the last year is very disappointing.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot bloody good that passing percentage is when you barely get on the ball because you can't swiftly move into a gap, break up an attack, and most of the time when you actually pass or dribble fw you lose possession.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting chunky and being immobile is his own fault. Can't be mad at anybody but himself for indulging in chimichangas and burritos from their place of origin because he's used to getting them at Taco Bell. I liked the move to the league, although Queretaro wasn't specifically the best fit on paper, and he quite simply needs to lose weight to make a positive impact there like he probably still has the potential to do somewhere underneath that extra chub.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played 64 mins for Queretaro tonight. Not good in the 1st half, poor positioning and did very little offensively and defensively. Played much better in the 2nd half, no idea why Queretaro's coach subbed him out after only playing 19 mins.

7. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    Honestly was the worst player on the pitch and they needed more offensively.

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS, he made 2 or 3 interceptions and nearly had a shot from inside the box. Wrong time to take him out IMO.

9. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    There's a reason why he was the first player taken off.

He's expected to bring more to the team, he's a foreigner playing for a coach who has certain expectations. If you're not having a good game expect to be taken off.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's actually not counted as a foreigner since he has a Mexican passport.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I watched a good bit of the game, his touch wasn't bad, but his issue is work rate and athleticism. He was constantly slow to rotate for his teammates to receive a pass, and looked gassed the entire game. Admittedly, I didn't watch the second half, but still, not what you want to see.

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought that #9, who blew a chance from 6 yards out and didn't keep the ball (lost 8/10 duels) or create much.

Overall just not a good enough game on a team that struggled. Luis passed ok, third best on the team at 81%, but like was pointed out needs to win back possession more from that spot for a team that needs a spark.

13. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    went 90 on saturday

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Mexico is far more suitable to his given level of skill and athleticism. And he should have headed down there to begin with. His MLS years were basically a waste of time. He was good enough for Liga MX during the time of the U-20 WC three years ago.

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't played since March 18th and hasn't even made the squad recently. Did he get injured with the U23s?

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil started and scored for Querétaro's U20 team this weekend.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Which immediately anoints him as the best Generation Adidas signing in history.

22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    edcrocker, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Maybe he's got Fabrizio Ravanelli syndrome.

ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.