Luis Gil at FK Viktorie Žižkov (Czech Republic)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 30, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    This is one that j think would benefit from Europe.

superdave and USAMEX10 repped this.
  3. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would recommend Mexico if it was the right situation but with so much turnover in coaches Europe is probably the best option even mls would be better in a good fit team. Sad really in Liga MX he would learn a lot more tactically than in mls

Sup Bro and justinpaul10 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe he's the kind of player that turns up his game as the competition gets better, so Europe might be a good fit. He has some talent, but his play in MLS has really trailed off.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't help that RSL got much worse after Kreis left. Gil probably needs to play a possession game. I'd like to see him join one of the better Liga MX teams, or Spanish Segunda teams, if they'll have him, even if he's projected as a squad player to begin with. Better than being projected as a starter on a bad team for their league. Eventually he'd end up as a backup. On a good team he might develop, supplant, and be one of their key creators.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Father is Mexican if I remember correctly. Seems like a good option for him.
    He just has to go somewhere and play.

RSL is in for an overhaul this off-season. Luis Gil's contract is expiring, but so is Javier Morales' (amongst others).
    If the club decides to move on from Javier, would they give them the keys to the castle? I'd be in favor of that, but only that. No point in him staying to be a rotation player again.

We can recall that Luis was trying to get a Spanish passport when he was a youngster (when clubs in England like Arsenal were after him). I don't think that worked out.

I'm not sure what's sad about anything. A lot of prospects around the don't develop into national team caliber players. "Prospect" being a latin word for "hasn't done jack."

Before we bury him, though, consider the career arc of other American playmakers. Lee Nguyen and Benny Feilhaber (amongst others) spent a number of years in the wilderness early in their careers.

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to guess Spain. Maybe a second division team or something, but who knows?

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's gotten chances and has not done well.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    needs to regain confidence, and find his best position. Might of lost his identity playing on the wings while waiting for morales to retire

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he has talked to his former Youth NT teammate Jose Villareal

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo, (TxT), USAMEX10 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not bad, not bad, liking these moves south of the border

14. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like this move a lot. This in theory is not like the Cruz Azul Villarreal loan. He's not getting loaned out to a big club where they are very cut throat with young players and buy talented South American guys in most attacking positions.

Queretaro is actually buying him for one and they do give chances to youngsters and they aren't really a big club. One example is MX u23 Orbelin Pineda who is a CM/CAM excellent player who has shown good potential. He'll competed with Luis. I think this style of play and change in scenery will benefit Luis a lot

bmbersoccer5 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    FWIW, they aren't buying him, he's a free agent.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    In Europe, a U-23 player may still require some compensation but I doubt MLS will get a penny.

17. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Even on a free transfer?

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes. Danny Ings went from Burnley to 'Pool on a free but, as a U-24 player, Burnley asked for ~ $12M in "developmental fees". 'Pool countered with ~ $10M. IIRC, the two clubs settled without having to go in front of a sports panel.

Of course, Man United only got £800,000 for Paul Pogba, when he left on a free to Juventus. The difference is that Ings banged in 11 goals for a relegated Burnley while Pogba was largely a reserve player for Sir Alex.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA Training Compensation rules apply, though MLS hasn't pursued them based on USSF guidance.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Orberlin Pineda transferred to Chivas.

temp-Pl@ymaker and JJV1994 repped this.
  21. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Damn ur right. I like both those moves

JJV1994, Overachiever and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    bungadiri repped this.
  23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to him, as his career was clearly on the road to nowhere in MLS, or at least with RSL. Hopefully, it will work, although there isn't a lot of good precedent.

chad repped this.
  24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he has missed most of preaseason.

I would'nt expect him to start with the first team.

25. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally, I don't like seeing promising younger American players leaving MLS to sign with Mexican clubs, but for Luis Gil, I like this move. He was stagnating at RSL and I think a change of scenery will be good for him. He also strikes me as the type of player who will thrive in Mexico, where the game is less physical, the tempo is slower, and there is more emphasis on possession and technique. I think he could do well depending on the style that Queratero plays.

Gil has often "played up" for the youth national teams, so hopefully he brings that level to Liga MX and can earn a starting spot in an attacking midfield role.

Scotty and USAMEX10 repped this.