Luis Fernando Muriel -news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Baal88, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Best player of his club this season and indeed in the top 5 of serie a . That is not promising

2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i hope he plays this season with a big chip on his shoulder.

***he was kept out off the 2014 WC team b/c of form/fitness issues if I recall - despite a handful of appearances
    ***he missed out on the 2016 Copa America

so this season will be extremely important to him, especially with players like Cardona, GioMore, Izquierdo, Marlos, etc. all vying for a place on the team.

Azucarero repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He was billed as the Colombian fat Ronaldo

He has 17 goals in 63 games with Sampdoria and 1 goal in 16 games with Colombia.

We need him to be more of a killer up front. Hopefully he plays more of a 9 role at Sevilla and develops good chemistry with Falcao during qualifiers

4. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the 1 goal in 16 games can be a bit misleading; but i generally agree with you. in those 16 games, he's always been more of a winger than a CF like Bacca, Falcao or Jackson. but he has shown several moments of brilliance where he has created goal opportunities for others and taken some good shots on goal. kinda like how Cuadrado was in 2012-13, muriel is one of those players who wants the ball and really pushes hard to move forward.

biggest concern is that he has yet to play a full 90 minutes in any appearance.

5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He isnt a top scorer or a striker.......he have been good but not neccesarily he have to score, he marks the difference because of his dribbling and his movements as wing ......

If people said he was the colombia ronaldo was more because his phisyc.

Not all forwards have to be top scorers to stando out. Sevilla didnt buy him to be the top scorer of the league

6. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He plays a second/supporting striker who likes to go wide a lot. His main job is not being a goalscorer. Although I hope with Sevilla he can make that next step, he can be key for the national team, especially once cuadrado starts slowing down in the next cycle.

Azucarero repped this.
  7. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  8. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Great move for Muriel. Even though Sampdoria saved his career, I like his ambition. Sevilla are perennial candidates to win the Europa League.

The timing is also perfect. He's coming off his best season, earning him a hefty price tag and a bit of reputation. This ensures that he's going to get a fair shake of minutes to prove himself.

And maybe he could provide a little mentorship to Carrascal

9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    This has mainly been a result of personnel. In Udinese he had to play with/off of Di Natale. Sampdoria has old Quagliarella and Shick. Even at Lecce they had some established guy playing 9.

Despite his incredibly pacey and nifty skillset, striker is Muriel's natural position--not winger, not an 11. In Cali he was our lone striker. Did the same for the sub 20. His best matches for Udinese came when Di Natale was unavailable.

He could become one of the most skillful 9s in the world if a team would finally let him work at it.

10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The fact that he played very well in a time as "9" doesn't mean that is his natural position and started his career there . ...yepes started his career as a forward , players have changed from left backs to midfielders . Original position isn't the same as natural position

Dwight yorke finished his career playing as cmf

In last years he have marked difference Thabk to his dribbling and passes in the wing

11. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We had that long discussion before and I always said that he feels comfortable with a strong 9 next to him; somebody like DiNatale for example and in my opinion he was.

However he indeed came to Europe with the label of being a CF, not a supporting striker; however Muriel needs that space or somebody (a CF that attracts part of the attention) for him to play more comfortable.

12. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    That space can come from a strong attacking midfield. Give him wingers and a strong media punta or 10 behind him and you'll see some magic.

I think of it like Falcao. He was always the lone man up front for Porto, yet he always seemed lost for Colombia when he played without a striker partner. He never tapped into his full potential until we started playing Teo next to him, his ideal partner to create space, drag defenders, and followup on the absorbed markers. In Porto, Hulk provided a similar function, albeit from the wing.

Not that these two are similar strikers; they're very different. However, the idea that a player's optimal conditions for success on the field can only come from a specific formation is misguided.

You may be right; Muriel may have evolved past his roots as a 9. I maintain that he'd be pretty damn good as a 9 if he had the opportunity. Can't really disprove that being how he rarely ever plays there.

13. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Can't deny that.
    In regards of the rest; well Falcao is stronger that Muriel, that allows him to hold the ball with defenders at his back, this has to do with the fact that Falcao was developed as a player in Argentina, on the other hand Muriel developed in Colombia a league where the pressure is not as intense as Argentina or much less Italy and you are allowed to receive the ball and think.

I can agree with Muriel being an amazing sole striker if he can run to the space smartly (just like Falcao does) in this case Muriel will have the upper hand than Falcao because he is Faster than Falcao; but he don't have that CF IQ, because like (I think we can all agree on this) is that he developed as a support striker next to a great CF like DiNatale.

Anyway anybody can evolve his game... Colombian players tend to have trouble in this department, but obviously that doesn't apply to every single Colombian player

Azucarero repped this.
  14. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Also I just want to add that Baal is such a hater with Quintero, I know it doesnt have anyting to do with Muriel, everyone must be like wtf ; I just wanted to share that.

Thank you

PS:Baal stop being such a hater

Azucarero repped this.
  15. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I hope he gets to play as lone striker this season... This is probably the last cycle for Falcao, Teo and Bacca unless they can pull an Aristizabal and do great for Colombia in their 30s and to be fair he was 30 when he led Colombia to win Copa América 2001.. To be fair to Falcao he's well into he's 30s and still lighting it up in Europe somewhat so for Bacca too...

That said the point is still that he will be needed in 2018 and the rest of 2017 a lot can still happen, Colombia still need two wins and to not lose.

Muriel needs to get better at finishing his chances from distance and or learning to make those chances into assists.

16. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  17. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    This is a good move for Muriel, Sevilla are consistently good and play some good football. I'm worried about the change in a World Cup year but Muriel really did well last year at Sampdoria and Sevilla don't have a player of his profile who can create from wide.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    If they are expecting someone like Bacca they may be a little disappointed.
    When Bacca played there he was lethal in front of goal as a #9.

Muriel's best play in Italy has come from the wings and he is not as consistent in front of goal as Bacca was in Spain. He is going to shoot a lot of crosses and shots wide of the net, but he will be very active and dangerous.

pepinointer repped this.
  20. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He's getting the start today over Ben Yedder in the league opener. This is a big opportunity for him...

21. GavoCol

GavoCol Member

May 12, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Esta jugando de centrodeantero al parecer

22. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1372 Hovaaa, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Hits the post on a good chance, unfortunate for Muriel.

Edit: had another good chance but saved by the keeper, should've done better

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nolito-Muriel-Navas...

On paper that trio is very scary and fun to watch. A little lacking on scoring but should provide a lot of entertainment.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid