Rumor: Lucy's Revenge: The Loudoun County Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by EdTheRed, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There wouldn't be talk about major incentives and an expedient timeline (from the government) for training facilities. That's money talking.

Now it's entirely possible the team would like to put a massive training facility out there and entertaining this overture is a polite way of keeping VA talking. I'd hope.

I'm an outlier, but putting a stadium anywhere in VA removes me from the equation entirely. You're talking 100 miles away with some of the worst traffic in the country in between. My current handful of game per year due to temporary circumstances would become a permanent 1-2 games per year.

Not that they should care, I'm totally expendable. But that's my take. I think almost nobody from MD will even think about "DC "United ever again.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    All the best narratives start on BS.

Boloni86, Winoman, Len and 1 other person repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If the team was moved there wouldn't the team have to be renamed West Virginia United?

4. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I understand it, the Loudon negotiations are just for usl/training facilities plus a unicorn.

Boloni86, tab5g and John L repped this.
  5. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming this might be a narrative the teams starts pushing publicly, any day now. I'm not up to speed on the specifics, but seems to me the two competing claims will be "we the city only committed to spending $150m on this deal" and "why should we DCU be on the hook for cost overruns assembling the land when you DC said you'd take care of that?"

Sound right?

Winoman and tab5g repped this.
  6. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    maybe this is why they are rebranding? No more DC in the name, since past Dulles is not DC?
    I wish Chang was at the match tonight so we can figure out WTF is going on

7. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this was my line of thought. I started wondering if maybe the District started thinking they had the team where they wanted them, roped in, and figured they could start negotiating again.

Not having professionals in the FO is killing them.

8. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Athletes are already used to commuting there from all over the region.

scruggs45 repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they have to change the football team name to Delaware Redskins?

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Only if they move to Navy-Marine Corp Stadium. The Skins are still inside the Beltway.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Perhaps the county name could be spelled correctly in the thread title.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, they're close to the beltway, technically they're outside :)

Bootsy will be happy that you will not have to take the Greenway to get to the new stadium in Loudoun, unless you really want to donate $5 to go one exit, it'd be quicker to take Route 28 - much faster from the Toll Road ($0.50 I think maybe $0.75) or you could take Route 7 :)

Also, it will be "past Dulles" like FedEx is inside the beltway ;) - from out DC way, it'll be pretty even with the airport, just a little north of the big runway, so we'll finally get some flyovers :)

It's not gonna happen unless something goes evil-ey wrong, but this is fun anyhow.

griffin1108 repped this.
  13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shit, a training facility out there makes no sense for the players! The coach will be pissed! :)

14. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Loudoun County is worse than Bridgeview.

Bridgeview to the loop is about 15 miles. Downtown KC to Sporting Park is also about 15 miles, and that's in a relatively low-density, auto-centric city. Both sites are adjacent to their respective beltways.

This proposed Loudoun site to RFK is 35 miles. That's Frisco range. It's 15+ miles beyond the beltway. It is way, way out there.

It might be a pain for some suburbanites to get into DC for events, but the advantage DC has that Loudoun does not is centrality.

Boloni86, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  15. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The coach may be pissed, but don't most pro athletes live in Loudon County?

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The 'Skins do but I've not heard anything about other pro athletes living there.

17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I completely buy your KC and Frisco arguments, but you're wrong on Bridgeview. The distance may be 15 miles, but there is no direct way there and traffic can be unbelievable due to rush hour, weather, cosmic rays, etc. I once spent over an hour in a cab going from the Loop to Midway. Bridgeview is near Midway airport, but not really served by mass transit (meaning subway/light rail and not buses) and not directly adjacent to major highways/expressways.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Have we already forgotten when the team did train out that way?

Winoman and John L repped this.
  19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're gonna do Bridgeview from the loop, why would you do Dulles to way on the opposite side of DC at RFK? I'm sure it'll still seem far to you if you use more similar measurements :)
    I get to within a mile of DC a good 20-30 minutes before I get to RFK most days - maybe you should measure from the beltway since that loop seems important.

In the old days when DCU trained in Loudoun, most of the players lived out here but theses days since they do everything at the playground field next to RFK, I think most live in DC or Alexandria.

I see Jaime's wife at the grocery store sometimes, he still lives out this way (west of me even)

Winoman repped this.
  20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I highly doubt DC United players live all the way out there.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The Loop is a small area of central Chicago, not a roadway.

22. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better days.

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The Loop" is not a road in Chicago. It refers to a specific area of downtown Chicago containing the main business district, and is so named because the El trains loop around there.

There is nothing comparable in DC, but the closest would probably be McPherson or Farragut Squares.

EDIT: Lowe done said it.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I am not talking about location. Have you been to Bridgeview? The stadium is by a huge railroad yard, in a semi-abandoned industrial neighborhood highlighted by a few sketchy bars (one requires 3 photo IDs!). And it is not walking distance to the train. The Loudoun site is close to the airport, but that is really the only similarity. Look at the aerial photos - there are office buildings and recently built suburban neighborhoods nearby.

griffin1108 repped this.