Rumor: Lucy's Revenge: The Loudoun County Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by EdTheRed, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I just can't.

itwasi, QPR Kevin H and Freestyle2000 repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meh - Virginia is being too late to get involved for this to actually be really about a full-sized stadium - my guess it's a little bit of United wanting something to jolt the DC folks into faster action with less trying to make DCU pay extra - along with Virginia wanting to grab Danny Snyder's attention as being willing to duel with DC about stadiums for a change.
    Win-win for both parties to achieve a nice place for training - and a semi-pro-sized stadium since the whole One Loudoun project for the Cavalry has turned to shit, though I hear they are playing at some high school up the road from me - while poking Danny and some DC officials with a stick.

If they're serious, it doesn't make a whole lotta sense at this point

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the Virginia pro stadium plans that have been flushed down the toilet in my lifetime. Obviously this is a huge longshot from McAuliffe, but the real story is how it could unsettle United's relations with the District.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Is there any possibility that this is really DC United angling for a training facility location?

Throw in some youth fields. Maybe a small USL sized stadium. Like Starfire for the Sounders.

Winoman and tab5g repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Northern Virginia Soccerplex could make some sense.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm hoping. But even if so, this has been horribly mismanaged.

ImNumberTen and TowsonDad repped this.
  7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post

8. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes.

9. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit to confusion on this - I thought Virginia was strongly anti-stadium and there were considerable barriers to any sort of public funding/support/concessions for a private stadium in Virginia?

10. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There may be less to this than meets the eye. What may well have happened is that Levien simply agreed to hear McAuiliffe's proposal and then McAuliffe leaked the fact that was a presentation to the press withou Levien's prior agreement.

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    When (NOTE the operative word "WHEN"), DC United starts playing at their new stadium at Buzzards Point, they'll need a new training site. The U-23 team is already at Evergreen Sportsplex. This is what DC United is interested in.

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Arlington I think that's true. I don't know about any place else.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Virginia, as a rule, is pretty stadium-neutral - they are not at all stadium-building friendly which means they won't study the plan for you and offer you a proposal and tax breaks automatically like Maryland will.
    Most people building a big stadium would consider that anti-stadium because they want all the free money. But I wouldn't say they're against them, just publicly funding them.

I hope Levien has sent Buddy Rizer a strongly worded email about leaking this :) Has anyone called our absentee-owners to let them know there is even a story out? ;)

14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the Evergreen Sportsplex?

15. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I think this is the right answer. It's just a meeting. Ideally it's a backup plan if Buzzard Point falls through.

Oveki8 repped this.
  16. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Among the pines?

Oveki8 repped this.
  17. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would have been my impression, except that later thing about DC refusing to commit its future to the District. Which, I suppose doesn't mean anything and, to some extent, is a smart move if they don't want to be accused of breaking promises and "leave room for the unknown." Except that an awful lot of people were pretty damn sure they had committed to the District at Buzzard Point when that got pushed through in the first place.

Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    This could well be a zzzzzz...... from a reporter with inches to fill. Most likely it relates to training facilities and a USL type stadium for DCU2 and the Academy. However, McAuliffe is a wheeler-dealer type, so I'm not surprised that he threw something out there. Look if DCU could get a less expensive stadium a year earlier, they would at least have to listen.

A Loudon location for me would be like driving to the SoccerPlex as far as time and distance. However, Buzzard's Point isn't that wonderful for me either because I would have to Metro and given Metro's current operational ineptitude that would be just a different type of painful. Honestly, the RFK location is probably optimal for me, but it will disappear under any circumstance.

Winoman and greatscott repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Just off the The Greenway just south of Leesburg

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Evergreen Mill Road, down the street from Heritage High School on Evergreen Church's property - it's halfway between the Shreve Mill Road and Battlefield Parkway exits on the Greenway.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    NBC4 picked up the WTOP story.

24. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Who's Lucy!?!

Virginia is for lovers...

25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to chime in and say I got the feeling from te quotes by the mayor and her allies that this was not a new revelation to them.
    I think everything is fine and it's just is nuts who are freaking out. I bet this changes nothing and DCU ends up with training fields in Va.
    As a business, you entertain good proposals. And you can't stop those people from announcing they've showed you a proposal (minus some sort of NDA). It's also in Virginias best interest to let sports people know they gave Dcu a good deal and simultaneously explain the process businesses would go through on big projects like that in Virginia. Might help draw other business.

Hell, I am proud that Terry is out there trying to steal business for Virginia. Now if he would bring me a job to richmond that would be great

Oveki8, Winoman and John L repped this.