Rumor: Lucas Neil to Galasataray (Spector Related)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 5, 2008.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...st-Hams-Lucas-Neill-Galatasaray-close-in.html

hmmmm, unless i miss my guess West Ham's cover is an injured John Spector....and starting the season with John Pantstil. Hammerette how you feel about that one? Im sure that would make you feel just about peachy. Us yank types would wanna see it happen because if theres no replacement that pretty much puts Spector ahead of Pants once he regains fitness. Not sure how you feel bout that though.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I read they'll move Fauvert into the right back spot.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i read thats what their fans want them to do too. Dont think the coach will do that though. Curbs like spector and pantstil. That may be a case of West Ham fans wanting the sexy name on the field instead of known commodities. just my opinion. I think theyll put Faubert at right mid, per usual.

4. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    Neill was below par for much of last season but he is popular with the players and manager (who made him captain) so not sure if he is going or not. I'm not bothered either way to be honest.

By the way we have just signed an Icelandic U21 international centre half Hólmar Örn Eyjólfssonso (!) so he will add competition to the defenders. I don't think he is starting quality yet but he comes with a good reputation apparently.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ferrari heading for the Hammers?

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul6c.html

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have a strong feeling Spector still wont be starting for West Ham

8. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    It would be pretty sad + nail in coffin if Spector can't beat out a guy with that pedigree..

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    When is Spector expected to recover from his latest injury? How much of the season will he most likely miss?

10. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    I can't remember how long he is out for but I think he should be recovered not long into the season. The down side for Spector is that he will be missing another pre season which is a big disadvantage. Not only from the fitnes angle but the fact that in his absense others will be filling his shoes and he will be down the pecking order again. This is a shame for Spector, he always comes across as a hard working and loyal team player. Not so many players start week in week out nowdays and I think Spector would continue to get a good mix of playing time, particularly at fullback, both starting and as a substitute.

I can't comment on Hólmar Örn Eyjólfssonso's pedigree as I've never seen him play so I can't compare him to Spector as a CH. That may be a good thing as I'm not keen on Spector at CH so it wouldn't take much for me to favour the other player.:) All I know is that he's a 17 year old playing U21 international football and an Icelandic journalist posted on one of our boards April 08 that we would be signing the player. I think the club were keen to get him but as one for the future not starting in the team right now.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Let's hope Curbs moves Jonny into the deep midfield where he belongs.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is probably true...

im not sure defense is his position... the only time he looked comfortable for West Ham over the last few years (that I watched them) has been there

13. quick38

quick38 New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Spector's biggest issue is that he can play anywhere on the back line and at defensive mid if needed. None of the other defenders have that versatility which is probably Spector's worst enemy that he can play multiple positions. Curbishley is able to keep more attacking options on the bench for games knowing he has a defender who can play anywhere on the back line.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    jack of all trades, master of none is his problem

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QFT. Its his biggest advantage and his worst disadvantage. He will always have a role no matter what, just how big of a role.

still plenty of time, he's still an infant in defender years. yet amusingly enough in some west ham circles hes already written him off as a lost cause.

16. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    Spector is a good all round footballer but it must be very difficult for someone of his age and experience to get to grips with the skills that make the difference between a good PL standard fullback / CH and one not so good. I'm not talking about ball skills but more game skills. Not getting too close to the forward and being turned easy, not being drawn out of position by a Sheringham type forward, not being suckered into conceeding a soft foul in a dangerous position etc. Hopefully we can move on from the dreadful injuries we had last season and allow Spector to settle down and concentrate on becomming a strong contender at one postion.

17. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    patience, Grasshopper.

Spector has done a world of learning in 5 years in England.

He's young and has stick-to-it-tivness, he'll be fine.

It'll kick in at some higher level, at some point. That's my bet.
    He may never be Gary Neville's replacement, but likely he will rise higher than this in his career. And that would be a pretty damn good level.

Especially for a Yank.

100 games in the Prem at his age is pretty amazing, actually.

19. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    No he wont, he is at best a PL squad player for a mid table club.

20. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Being out injured is the problem. Same one Simek has.

21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He is already a squad player for a midtable club. You're that confident that he's peaked already at the age of 22? Playing in a position where players normally improve with age?

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pantsil has been transfer listed...
    its impressive, he has had a decent career for an American... but he needs to show he can a)hold down a position b)stay healthy...

right now, he is a utility player