Luca Before You Leap: de la Torre at Celta Vigo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 25, 2013.

?

What should we rename the Luca de la Torre thread?

1. Luca’s Labour’s Lost? de la Torre at Celta Vigo

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. My name is Luca, I live in the Second Team: De La Torre at Celta Vigo

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Luca's Labour (not) Lost: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Luca Before you Leap: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

51 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDLT brings a different skillset than Emo, apples to oranges. It's Tyler Adams and Weston McKennie keeping Emo out of camp.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. There's no other way he would be in England this early in his career without an EU/EEA passport (I believe it's a Spanish one).

3. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His father is from the Canary islands. So yes, Spanish passport.

4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how that's apples to oranges at all. It's a camp, not a lineup. They chose to take de la Torre, a midfielder, and not take Hyndman, a midfielder.

Emo had nearly 1500 minutes in the championship under his belt at the same age de la Torre is now, compared to Luca's 50.

After that, Emo has racked up another 1k in Scotland while scoring 4 goals and winning Rangers YPotY award, and played more minutes in the premier league this year than LDLT did in the championship.

adam tash, Zinkoff and wixson7 repped this.
  5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I dont mean to bash DLT here. Big ups to him for the callup. He showed well in the big youth tourneys and put in good year with fulham reserves. Part of the youth experiment and although it conceptually comes at expense of my Emo crush...gotta be happy for this kid. Huge experience for him!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I liked his cameo on Saturday. I don't think he hit a wrong pass and went right up the gut with confidence.

7. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #282 Anderson11, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    And scores!!

Edit: this is embarrassing. I thought I was still in the MLS thread. Was in reference to Kuzain for sporting.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts friendly:

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  11. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    1018177894810554373 is not a valid tweet id

Here’s the only feedback I could find about his game today on Twitter and it’s from a Fulham fan saying he was their best player in the first half.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if this is streamed?

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Fulham have their full team in camp, or do they have players on break from WC duty?

In other words, is it a good sign that LDLT is starting, or a really good sign?

15. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From their current roster, I don't see anybody who participated in the World Cup. That said, who knows? They may be adding new folks before the season starts.

16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who even participated in the WC for Fulham? I honestly don't know. Mitrovic is the only one I can think of.

17. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he was on loan last year. It looks like they are making an offer for him (although Turkish media is saying he will go to Fernebache) From their current roster, I couldn't find any.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a good sign that DLT is starting, it's also a good sign that Fossey is starting!

Pl@ymaker, uniteo and Winoman repped this.
  19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about the WC, but the rosters LDLT has started in so far are nowhere close to a first team roster.

In related news, Fulham bought Jean Michael Seri from Nice about a week ago, and that guy could easily play for any team in England. Along with Cairney and a bunch of other vets, Fulham are going to be really hard to break into this year.

This probably seems preemptive considering he's starting every preseason game right now, but in my opinion, Luca badly needs a loan this year.

wixson7 repped this.
  20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hate to break it to you (actually, no, i love any chance to throw sarachan and williams under the bus) but sarachan and richie williams are not only not geniuses (they arent close)......

but on top of that, roster decisions/lineups.etc are not sent from an oracle on high.....

i agree i'd rather see EH before LDLT (and I think anyone who has been paying attention would agree with our preference)...but let's not forget that the people making these calls arent supreme beings.

too often, observers take coaching decisions as bulletproof evidence about players when that would be like assuming chicken salad is DEFINITELY better than tuna...just b/c someone picked one over the other in line at a deli.

comoesa repped this.
  23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to believe that Sarachan liked LDLT more as a player than Emo at the time. I can't think of the last time a player got called in because they had 50 minutes in the Championship.

It's obvious why: they wanted to call in young players to excite the fanbase. We all know that that camp wasn't our best roster, and for obvious reasons. That's not a conspiracy. I want a callup to the USMNT to be a reward for an achievement, and the last roster was not.

24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #299 Eighteen Alpha, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    The problem with this is everyone will have a different definition of what constitutes an achievement.

edit: On second thought, the bigger problem is considering a callup a reward for anything. The achievement (however defined) is, of course, a benchmark for excellence - but If players consider it a reward it will result in the same sort of complacency that saw us failing last cycle. Even Pulisic should worry every day about his place on the roster.
    I doubt many would argue that the revelation from the last set of friendlies was Anthonee Robinson. Now, (and I am not dying you said this) under many callup standards I have seen argued for, he didn't deserve to be part of the roster.

TarHeels17 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States