Loyal or Dumb?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by UnionizedPA, Sep 25, 2017.

1. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I'm probably a bit of both. But I've had some conflicting opinions about my situation on Reddit and Twitter, so I figured I'd ask y'all.

I was born in Philly but moved to ATL when I was 2 (my whole family lives in Philly)

I would visit Philly every winter break and summer break and cause my grandfather was the one who introduced me to sports at a young age, all my favorite teams are Philly teams (except for Eagles, long story). I joined SOB the first year and have been a Union fan since game 1. I drove 2 and half hours to every home game the Union had for 4 years while I was living in Brooklyn, I have an autographed ball with the 2012 team and met everyone, I even drove down 3 hours each way on a Tuesday night two years in a row to watch this team lose in the Open Cup Championships. I marched with the casket when our fan base was fed up, I've been through it all with this team. I've been apart of and have supported this team more than I have any other team.

And yea, ATL UTD has done an UNBELIEVABLE job building a team that embraces Atlanta culture and not just a team in Atlanta. From the chants, marketing, to the local Atlanta food spots they have as vendors as the stadium, this front office has done everything right. Which sucks, cause 8 years in and the Union front office has done nothing right. Outside giving away players that are the heart of this team while spending $500K on trash ones, not spending the money they need to, hell, they can't even pave the parking lot, but I still love this team. I'm not sure if it's Stockholm syndrome or what.

There's plenty of reasons for me to jump ship. I relate more with the Atlanta team and culture of the team, I've stopped going to the River End and only hit up away games after hearing racial slurs during the game (I look more Hispanic than black so folks love to throw the N word around not knowing I am black), and Atlanta is a competitive team with a front office that actually cares about being a top team in this league.

But like I said, I'm stuck on the U and if in a few years they got a new owner and a team that people could be proud of, I'd feel like an ass for jumping ship too early and never receiving the reward I deserve for supporting this dumpster fire.

I support ATL, go to the games and cheer, wear the jerseys and chant, but the Union will always be my team.

So am I dedicated, dumb, or both? Other Union fans have been telling me to jump ship since ATL is my home and I "shouldn't have two teams."

Thanks!

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is America, where we can sing the national anthem or kneel. Have all the teams you want and just be confused when they play each other.

Or don't ever move. Your choice.

ScottyMac26, jaykoz3, Starpork and 2 others repped this.
  3. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Have two teams! who cares! You might be a bit conflictive when they face each other but besides that what is wrong? You live there and connect with the city so why not? and they are clearly doing things right unlike the U. That is why I never understood when people go nuts over nation switching etc. Is like you only being able to love your mom and not dad or vise versa. If ATL is treating you well why not. let the U be the old girlfriend you remain friends with.

4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 100 years we'll all be dead and none of this will matter.

So, sure, root for Atlanta.

Dills repped this.
  5. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do what you want and have fun.

Demanding loyalty is wrong.

[​IMG]

OwlSaver and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My father-in-law grew up in Massachusetts, lived in Florida for several years, and now lives near Buffalo, so he is a fan of the Pats, Dolphins, and Bills (all in the AFC East). He has a lot conflicting loyalties this time of year, but has managed to make it work somehow.

7. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Honestly, you can only jump shit if you bring the rest of us losers with you.

BuddhaWake, derek750, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.
  8. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Long as y'all like BBQ, Outkast, and 2 month Winters, come on down!

OwlSaver and lopezzzz repped this.
  9. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wait, seriously?

10. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You probably should have reported this. It's a violation of code of conduct if it happened in TRE.

11. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Uh.....I'm pretty sure it's a violation of code of conduct if it happened anywhere in the stadium

UnionizedPA repped this.
  12. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I did. I emailed the President at the time (think there's a new one now?) and they said they'd do something but yea I dunno if they ever did internally or what

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a violation of being a decent human being as well

14. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perspectives. Everybody has their own.

On (A) and (B), it seems we agree. Same here. Eagles of least interest.....but the NFL bores me and disappoints me to the point I'll watch the Birds (when they're on here) and the Bowl-but nothing else.

(C) oh I see your point. Literally ! Trying to get out of Hartsfield this summer with giant billboards of Almiron and Martinez towing over you.........but folks up there have known from the beginning the owner is a disinterested out-of-towner and the truth is that he got the team because there is no Arthur Blank in Philadelphia. Always going to cause problems............

(D) NEVER "feel like an ass" for moving on. In this instance, you've been deceived as a fan from the jump. The truth was never publicly stated by upper Mgt. until the first Town Hall ,for obvious reasons.
    You have an absolute right to the pursuit of whatever "purpose" and "success" means to you as a fan, supporter or whatever you deem yourself-and if/when you come to grips with the reality that those in control you've given your allegiance to feel differently about those items then you do........moving on is not only appropriate, it's prudent. Both for your sanity as well as those who believe differently/don't care/just happy to be there etc.

If you find that your current residency satisfies your objectives......you're home.

If not; give yourself some time away. Watch the league. See if any organization's goals match your own. See if anything changes up there. Once you know, plant your flag.
    You'll then have the ability to make a knowing decision you can be at peace with.
    Best of Luck.

ScottyMac26 and UnionizedPA repped this.
  15. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Thanks for that. My alliance is with the Union as it has been since day 1. I think because I'm back home in ATL and supporting United as well, a lot of people were questioning why I was still claiming the Union as my team and it made me 2nd guess if I was being a good fan or a dumb one. Which once again, probably both.

16. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might get United season tickets once they have their own stadium. But mostly just to watch MLS. I'll stick it out with our crew of losers. Rather than the crew of losers here. (Although I think they'll likely pass the Union soon.)

17. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant sons of ben coc. Sorry.

18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moving away at age 2 was your Philly Sports out but you messed it up, and then you messed it up even more in 2010 by linking the other teams to the union, could of at least got out for soccer then... you’re in too deep now brother, my condolences.
    Root for Atlanta as a number two, sure, but based on your story think your stuck with the U as number one.

UnionizedPA and Phillyspur repped this.
  19. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I think you're right. I came to work saw all the Union stuff in my office and said to myself "Good Lord tonight's going to be ugly..." and slipped a little bourbon in my tea. I'm in a bad relationship thinking "maybe they'll change" knowing they never will but for some reason still sticking through it.

For the kids.

cwelch999 and thomas19064 repped this.
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pfffft, and you claim to “ relate more with the Atlanta team and culture of the team” ... that post is spot on Union Culture.