Lower the Number of International Slots in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by adam tash, May 9, 2018.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're saying Messi was "playing" and Alvarez is "barely playing" after it's already been pointed out that Alvarez is getting twice as many minutes as Messi got at the same age?

I'm not entirely surprised by this, coming from the same person who claimed Alphonso Davies was "rotting on the bench" in Vancouver when he had in fact played the second-most minutes of any player on the team that season.

KCbus, JasonMa, jaykoz3 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 game for Barca = ~1 full season in MLS

7 games for Barca is not the same as 7 games for LAG...not even remotely close.....

ballou tabla was lighting up MLS and went to Barca B...and i don't think ever played for barca's actual team.....

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope....

there's a high % of INTL players that are either not better or worse than their domestic counterparts.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you telling us that a young MLS player who plays every minute of every game is still "barely playing", or are you telling us that one game for Barca (often against completely overmatched opposition) is somehow the equivalent of a full season of development in a lesser league?

(BTW, Ballou Tabla was being used as a supersub in MLS. Barca bought him because he showed lots of promise at a young age.)

jaykoz3, KCbus and mschofield repped this.
  6. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    I don’t think you understand basic probability. Either that, or you are trolling.

JasonMa and mschofield repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The difference here is pretty simple, isn't it. You enjoy watching soccer events, while others actually enjoy the game itself, and so devote time to the sport played at a professional level. club football is real football. National team stuff is fun, but it's cherry on top stuff. If you only have the cherry, it isn't that interesting. I enjoyed the WC just about as much as I have past cups when the US is taking part.
    The LAG will be very, very lucky indeed if it turns out that their 17 year old is to them and MLS what Messi has been/still is to Barca and La Liga.
    Also, he has twice the minutes of the players I mentioned. That means he is playing, and playing at a level that is.
    Also, you raised Alvarez as an example, others put his situation in the proper context, and you respond that you didn't care anyway?

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just fyi, Guillermo Barros Schelotto's job is to win the MLS Cup, then perhaps the CCL.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

If this is really what you think, then there's literally NOTHING MLS can do to make you happy, because a young player playing every minute for an MLS season would still be meaningless to you, because it's only MLS.

You're done here. Go troll somewhere else.

HailtotheKing, JasonMa, Elninho and 2 others repped this.
  10. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    Yeah, at this point it’s clear they are trolling.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? It's clear and obvious that you don't watch MLS, nor do you even care about MLS. It's also clear and obvious that you do ZERO research and/or fact checking. You also live in fantasy land.

Balou Tabla:

2016: 21 appearances with FC Montreal (USL), 5 goals
    2017: 21 appearances with Montreal Impact (MLS) 2 goals
    2018: 30 appearances with Barcelona B (Spanish Third division) 2 goals
    2019: 2 appearances with Albacete (Spanish Second Division) on Loan
    2019: 2 appearances with Montreal Impact (MLS) on Loan

It's ironic you bring up Tabla, a Canadien player. When your whole premise has been to get more minutes for American players........

JasonMa repped this.
  12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I think he's really talking about domestic player development, which includes Canadian players on Canadian teams.

The part I take issue with here is the part where he's making stuff up and insisting on it even after being shown the statistics.

Like, y'know, Davies "rotting on the bench" while he ranked second on the team in minutes played. Or how DPs "always play 90 minutes" when fully one-third of the DPs in MLS history got benched for extended periods and many never established themselves as starters. Or the time he named specific coaches as "anti-American" including Remi Garde, when Montreal (a Canadian team of course) had four Americans on their roster and three of them had started every game so far that season at the time.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed it is. It's like a whole different league to the one I started watching 5 years ago.

There seem to be far fewer "aimless balls" and midfield giveaways than there used to be.

FtCollins repped this.
  14. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    I was really impressed when I moved back from Europe. The game completely changed.

The first touches are the biggest thing right now.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top two Eastern Conference sides meeting in Philly. Union started 3 home-grown players, Atlanta started 4 recent US internationals in Robinson, Nagbe, Guzan, and Hyndman. Meanwhile Jonathan Lewis opened the scoring at Red Bulls Arena.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis gets a second.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought I'd report that Ebobisse set a record for Portland tonight with 73 consecutive appearances.

Christian Ramirez is with his third MLS club in 3 years.

And 19 year-old Alphonso Davies is valued at $88 million.

mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, while I questioned the legitimacy of thie original point of this thread, it has not aged well, at all. To be fair, it was written in 2018, based on perceptions the poster had from previous seasons. While I believe he was misreading those previous seasons, the seasons since have been all about young players getting time in MLS. I'm not sure there's a side left who don't have promising young players.It's still early days for MLS academies, but the early returns are really promising. The quality of young player is jumping, and most of these academies are not yet 10 years old.

STR1, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is insane money.
    He was good at Bayern last year, but that is a crazy figure.
    Good for him and good for MLS.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for his Edmonton team too if/when he gets sold.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He officially joined Vancouver when he was 14. When did a team in Edmonton get sell on rights for him?
    It is insane money, but he's pretty widely considered the best left back around right now. The Guardian picked him for their all world team to face Mars (silly, but says something about his status) and he's an absolute lock for BMunch..

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA training compensation covers players careers from their 12th birthday onwards. Edmonton Strikers received training compensation when he joined Bayern.

mschofield repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So they're hoping Barca panic buys him next summer, and then before he's 23 ManCity swoops in.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Most USMNT-only fans seem to be Eurosnobs.