Lower the Number of International Slots in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by adam tash, May 9, 2018.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dempsey also benefitted from injuries on the team and then made sure he never lost his spot.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what?

MLS teams can sign whatever players they want. If a given team doesnt want to use international players they don't have to. It's a matter of choice, not law.

3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm saying that americans in MLS should get OPPORTUNITY but not saying they should get guaranteed spots if they dont deserve it on merit.

I think the logical inconsistency is that when people say players who don't play dont deserve to play b/c they arent playing. it's like a witch is innocent if she drowns...but guilty if she swims to shore.

the only way to know for sure is to let players play....i'm not taking the word of coaches i.e. playing time...some coaches favor certain players, some don't. it's hghly subjective.

people are acting like they know a player sucks just b/c their coach doesnt play them....makes no sense.

My other thread - i'm assuming you mean about not building the team around pulisic - had nothing to do with gauranteed roster spots. I think playing time and roster spots should be merit based. But I was saying that in terms of building a system for the USMNT to use - Don't build it around a single player - even one as good as pulisic. build a team of players ...not a star with a supporting cast.

pulisic and anyone in the top 23 of the pool should be on the team...provided they fit into the scheme of the team.

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #229 adam tash, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    when was the last time a dempsey like story happened in MLS?

draft picks are simply not given opportunity anymore now that MLS teams can spend 6 figures on a foreign player at the same positions as all their draft picks.

college players are afterthoughts in today's MLS but they used to breakthrough and be solid MLS players in years past.....I really don't see what is so controversial about saying that MLS teams arent giving as much of a chance to college players and other unproven players as they used to...its so obvious.

now that MLS teams can sign "proven" players at every position...it is harder for "unproven" players to break through in MLS. period.

i guess what is hard for people to realize is that MLS being better and getting better could be worse for a segment of the USMNT player pool...i guess that is a bit counter intuitive.....for the non "hotshot" us players...MLS isn't really giving much of a chance these days.....used to be u20 or u17 usmnt experience was a gauranteed at least chance to play in MLS...now the romain gall's and jonathan lewis of the world have it MUCH harder in MLS and arent just given spots the way they used to be....and that is WORSE for the USMNT.

5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a thread about getting rid of the superdraft but if you had read that thread....my intention had nothing to do with MLS teams not using college players anymore...but rather questioning if a draft is the best mechanism for MLS teams to allocate and acquire college players.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct in that they aren’t required to sign internationals (and it’s not even illegal to publicly take that stance). Where you were wrong on the other thread and you’re still wrong here is that it’s illegal to say you’ll only sign US citizens and not other players legally able to work in the US without a visa (green card holders, refugees, etc). Employers must treat Clint Dempsey and Giles Barnes (who holds a green card) the same way, even though Dempsey is eligible for the Nats and Barnes is only eligible for Jamaica.

(If they really wanted to pursue a Team America idea they might be able to do something like how the women’s Nats in NWSL get paid by the USSF to get around it, but I can’t imagine the other MLS owners agreeing to that)

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. stats dont lie.
    2. coaches are not infallible.
    3. everyone has their bornstein.
    4. practice doesnt tell the whole story anyway.....what matters happens under the bright lights when everyone is watching.
    5. yes coaches have an advantage over someone on a message board...which is why i always put an asterisk by any comments i make about rating players after a game....but at the end of the day.....what happens on the field in front of the cameras is what matters most...and that publicly available.

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but the decision making process of which players to sign happens behind closed doors anyway!

its not like making any declarations is ever part of signing players anyway....

giles barnes couldnt force a team to sign him if he thought they only wanted americans....it would be a hige waste of everyones time for him to try...itd be ludicrous.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we’re back to the same place point where we were in the last thread, the idea that a team would publicly be Team America and as such, their illegal bias would be well know. That was the scenario being discussed that you jumped into and stated we were wrong.

Even if they weren’t public they probably couldn’t keep the charade up for more than a couple of seasons.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charade, shmade.

there is nthing in any MLS rules that requires any team to sign any intl players.

a team would be perfectly within its rights to sign all us-eligible players in MLS....it wouldnt even be an issue....

even if the team had 15 americans...it could still have 5 non americans anyway....wouldnt be the end of the world for an unofficial team america to have non american players....

the emphasis would still be there.

no player can sue a team for not playing them. a team isnt required to play any player only pay them, anyway.

i really dont see what you are getting at.

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vieira hates Americans: Maxime Chanot was the club's vice-captain at the beginning of the season. Sebastian Ibeagha, who was in the USL last year, has started 9 of NYCFC's last 11 matches in his place, dating back to almost two months before Vieira left. Chanot. Although Chanot was injured for two games during that time, he lost his place in the first-choice starting lineup three weeks before his injury. Similarly, to demonstrate that Ronald Matarrita was displaced from the lineup while healthy: Ben Sweat had 8 starts to Matarrita's 4 at the time Matarrita left for World Cup training camp (where he got injured).

Garde hates Americans so much that he started Ken Krolicki, an American rookie drafted in the third round this season, as an attacking central midfielder on opening day. Krolicki has started 12 of 20 matches this season; he started 7 of the first 8, lost his place in the lineup with a formation change, and won it back a little over a month later. Meanwhile, Marco Donadel, a presumptive starter in central midfield, started only one match all season (filling in at center back for injured/suspended players), was mostly an unused sub when available, and got released in June. Since Montreal is a Canadian team, let's also note that Matteo Mancosu was benched for 25-year-old Canadian Anthony Jackson-Hamel for a month. (From 5/5 to 6/2, Jackson-Hamel had 4 starts, Mancosu had 1, and both were healthy as evidenced by their presence on the bench for every match they didn't start.)

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #237 Elninho, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    In what state are you admitted to practice, and how many employment discrimination cases have you litigated?

If there's a pattern of discrimination in playing time, and the player has any evidence that it's because of a policy of discrimination, that's enough to proceed to discovery. (Oh, and if a team is marketing itself as any kind of "Team America" that's enough by itself.) If discovery turns up an actual policy, at that point the lawsuit is a slam-dunk. Any halfway competent plaintiff's-side employment lawyer would immediately link playing time to future employment prospects.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The whole point of this thread appears to be to ignore reality.
    Players 19-30 in MLS today get infinitely more playing time than in the early days of the league because in the early days of the league the roster was capped at 18. It grew gradually after that.
    It's only been at the current number for a couple years.
    Your entire argument is based on what appears to be a deep pain stemming from the fact that you didn't get to watch the USMNT play 3 or 4 or 5 games of mediocre footie this summer. Your solution is to lower the standard of play in hundreds of games this summer/season/forever, in MLS.
    Very few, if any, lovers of the game will agree with your POV.
    Real soccer is club soccer. Nats play is the cherry on top of the sunday. It's a nice treat but if that was all there was, it would pretty much suck.
    MLS is much better than it used to be and is still improving, rapidly. As far as MLS is concerned, that's all that matters, and it should be what matters to people who actually love the game.

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's the same argument we've been having for decades, dealing with folks in the US who really, deep down, hate the game. MLS now stands in for soccer in this case, and the detractors have affected a snobbish and uninformed attitude about the quality but Nats-first and only fans are just a new breed of this idiocy. "I can't support MLS because a. it isn't as good as the Prem or La Liga, or b. they don't have pro/rel so it isn't a real champsionship or c. they don't play as many young players as I would " are the new "The Green Bay Packers play real football." arguments.
    After 50 years of dealing with this crap, we're programmed to take the bait.

JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  15. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    /points back to when MLS's quality and reputation were extremely low, sees draft players making first team minutes

/complains that today, the same league with improved quality and marketability to better players at home and abroad, draft players don't get as many first team minutes as they used to.

KCbus, JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure there's a case around playing time, but there's certainly a case around players being signed (or not) based on being citizens vs. green card holders.

He is, of course, wrong and he will, of course, not admit it.

mschofield repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i disagree with a lot of your baseline assumptions.

i dont think "real soccer" is club soccer. I think all world cup teams would mop the floor with all mls teams and it would even be close in any games.

the idea that club soccer is a higher level than international soccer is ludicrous to me.

the issue isnt just "playing time" ....it is how players move from unknown, unestablished players to key contributors at the national team level....how they progess (or stagnate) on their career paths and how MLS' orientation towards its players encourages (or stunts) career growth in its players.

my opinion is MLS is not doing the best possible job it could be in moving players up the career/development ladder of success....because of its rules and because MLS falsely and ignorantly believes that it is better enact the rules that it does -which are counterproductive to that cause - because it feels that other concerns - such as limiting player salaries, ensuring control over player freedom, etc - are more important.

you seem to think that players will develop and become who they are independently of what MLS does and what rules MLS puts in place. this is a ludicrous proposition to me...but apparently most agree with you. in my mind, OBVIOUSLY, the rules and procedures MLS authors...will have dramatic consequences on indivual and collective player development in the USA.

you seem to think players just are who they are regardless of environemnt or club or league or country and that since nothing would really change who players are....it doesnt matter what rules are in place b/c players have an intrinsic quality that is basically unchangeable despite whatever specific differences they might face in their careers and development. (which makes me wonder why even have reserve, youth, academy teams at all? but thats another topic)

we couldnt disagree more on basics i.e. this situation, you think more playing time would be bad for the US player pool and USMNT in MLS...because it would be too easy...you think that making players fight scratch and claw to get on the field is what is going to make them great. I think playing time in non-negotiable. players need playing time. players without playing time are like plants without water. they will never survive and progress to the nect level of their careers without it. and it must happen as early as possible at the highest level possible. its why big clubs are sniffing around alphonso davies and not david accam.

we have already established that you only care about club soccer and i basically only care about national team soccer and that because of that we will basically never agree on the purpose and decisions MLS makes...but nevertheless......

there are key steps along the path to an amateur player entering MLS that must be taken if that player wants to reach the highest levels of the game. they must be signed. they must play consistently. they must play well. they must be young enough to be worth another, higher level team's time (the younger the better). they must be available, or near the end of their contract. they must get playing time as early as possible. etc....

i want MLS to understand that these windows for development and career advancement CLOSE if they are not met by certain time frames. if carleton could be a starter at 18 vs 21....it will make a HUGE difference on the player he can ultimately become. I want MLS to take a proactive appraoch on helping these players become as good as they can and help they reach the highest levels they can instead of the current apporach which seems to be just let whatever happens to these players just happen...cileing be damned.

I dont care about competiton between "clubs" in MLS. it doesnt excite me (as a USMNT fan). i realize that MLS' business model is driving fan interest and engagement through club affiliation...but that is not interesting to me as a USMNT fan....so I realize i am in the minority there.....

nevertheless, what i find very odd is your perspective (which seems to be echoed by the other posters on this thread) that MLS can never be criticized. MLS cant be improved b/c obviously they are very smart and know what they are doing....and that putting anything they do under the microscope is pointless.just leave MLS alone and if they want to change anything just let them figure it out on their own b/c they are very smart and never do aNYTHING wrong.....

this isnt about missing 1 world cup. its about the lack of progress over 20-30 years in the sport. MLS still cant win a CCL. the USMNT is regressing and cant become a decent team....meanwhile iceland croatia and other TINY countries seem to have it all figured out.

How you can pretend that nothing needs to improve in soccer in the USA/MLS is mind-boggling to me.

18. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you're moving the goalposts in order to claim MLS is failing to bring players through.

This started out as a claim Americans are always sent to the bench in favor of foreigners. The goalposts have been now moved to MLS failing because unheralded rookies (excluding any who were considered top prospects) are not becoming stars of the USMNT (getting caps and even becoming regular starters isn't enough). That's something that's literally never happened at any time in MLS history. The only example you've provided is Dempsey, who wasn't so unheralded after all, seeing as he was a U-20 national team player and a Project-40 signing.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Couple quick points: Soccer is a team game. National teams aren't really teams. Players get together for a tourney, then disperse, and unless they make it deep into a tournament, they never really get on the same page. WCup teams sometimes have very impressive talent, but are always less than the sum of their parts.
    Clubs sometimes have lesser talent, but are often much more than the sum of their parts.
    MLS clubs, as is the case around the world with professional clubs, play much better soccer than WCup all-star teams. The reasons are simple. They play a lot more football as a team. So yes, real football is club. Clubs have more intense preseasons than nats have "seasons." Clubs play 40 games and up a year. The players know each other well and move together. they know down to the details what they're trying to accomplish.
    National teams lack this level of understanding and it often makes for painfully naive soccer. FFS, Argentina this summer, they had one approach, and only one, and their players didn't really get that.
    German tv gives really good tactical breakdowns after each match. the spacing, the movement, the gaps on display were at best basic.
    Beyond that, national tams play a couple games at a time. Clubs play 9 months a year, year in and year out. If you don't like the sport, I guess I can see the attraction of national team play. You don't get the tactics and you're wowed by big names (who are impressive) and its fun to see the players you like to swap around on video games.
    But don't think those of us who actually like the game and study the game share your naive view of it.
    And, yes, of course, I believe MLS is improving and rapidly, and that's kind of obvious.
    Just to be clear, if the price of MLS continuing to improve at the pace it is means that the USMNT loses every match they play from here on out, I'm good with that. I will sacrifice three to six all-star games a year in exchange for 30-40 smartly played professional matches.
    That said, I've enjoyed this WCup. It's a been a nice summer treat. Not exactly sure how the US playing would have improved it.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that I think needs to be added, regarding draft picks succeeding in MLS: 1) there are more players drafted per year now because there are so many more teams, and 2) the academy system has weakened the draft pool because so many top prospects are signed as Homegrown players.

On the first point: Dempsey was a late first-round draft pick when he entered the league, but today 8th in the draft is considered an early pick -- it's still the first half of the first round.

As to the second point: MLS Homegrown territories currently cover well over half of the US population, and both of the soccer hotbeds that aren't in a MLS homegrown territory (South Florida and North Carolina) are heavily recruited by MLS academies. Anyone who is in the draft at all has fallen through some cracks to get there. In 2004, all the top prospects entered the draft, which pushed everyone farther down. Everyone drafted in the first round would have been considered a top prospect.

If Dempsey were going pro today, there's a high likelihood he'd have already signed with FC Dallas as a Homegrown player before the draft. Six of the seven players picked before Dempsey in 2004 went to high school in current MLS metro areas; under today's circumstances, all or most of those would probably have signed Homegrown deals before the draft too, so hypothetical 2018 rookie Dempsey is almost certainly a top-3 draft pick if he doesn't sign a Homegrown deal first, even assuming that he's the 8th-highest-rated potential rookie.

By the way, you have to go through the entire first two rounds of the 2004 draft to reach 3 players who didn't go to high school in a current MLS Homegrown territory -- and two of those three players were foreign. (The one American was from North Carolina, which, again, would have been heavily scouted.) This really explains why so many first-round draft picks today are international: most of the top US prospects have already signed as Homegrowns.

jaykoz3 and mschofield repped this.
  21. GrimmFreak

GrimmFreak New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Jul 2, 2018
    So, I've been giving this some thought. I didn't want to just knee jerk react to the discussion (the jerk part might be a thing:p). I feel like we are making an assumption that it is the MLS's purpose to develop players for the USMNT, this is not true. The MLS is driven by money and more money comes from a better product on the field. Conversely many of the better American players decide to go overseas to develop rather than play in order to max their development.

Personally I do not believe that the slightly downward trend in American player is all that concerning, in fact, I think the MLS's priority needs to be fielding teams that play intelligent and competitive football. If you have 32 teams with nothing but Americans and they play sloppy football, this is not going to do the USMNT any good at all.

I just got done watching perhaps the most beautiful half of MLS soccer I've seen to date... LAFC is hosting Portland Timbers and the football has been brilliant, both teams playing intelligent but aggressive, playing it safe when needed taking chances when they are presented and while the score is 0-0, both teams have had attacking magic requiring solid goaltending /defense.

On the other hand, I remember watching a game last year between San Jose and Colorado (I think... I have tried to block out the memory). The two teams made so many stupid mistakes it was a shame to see either team come away with points. If a few, more internationals can make teams competitive so that the Americans that do play in MLS are that much better, I say, so be it.

Football is the most international sport there is, if we build a better league we will reap the rewards, if we need to improve American footballing talent lets put it on the youth academies or the USL rather than the top league.

In conclusion MORE American players will not help the national program, average players won't help: BETTER American players will help and I promise you, if a player is good enough to compete for an a spot on the USMNT they will be given a spot starting in the MLS.

mschofield and jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post.

One thing. It's not just MLS that is driven by money. Players go to bigger teams in order to make more money. Mbappe went to PSG to make more money (he's 19 and making $20M/yr). Make no mistake, developing as a player is a by product of players moving abroad, but it's not the sole reason. Pulisic will eventually transfer to another team. Why? To make more money (he's making $8M/yr currently).

For years US players moved to Scandinavia to play professional club football................why? To make more money. They offered higher salaries compared to MLS at that time.

Beckham came to MLS because they offered him more money, and living in LA allowed him to grow his brand in order to make more money after his playing days were over. Ibra has come to LA in order to grow his brand to make more money when he closes the curtain on his playing career.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't had time to double-check these numbers, but here's a quick look:

• In the entire 2017 season, domestic teenagers played 9985 @MLS minutes

• in the ~50% complete 2018 season, domestic teenagers have played 10,538 @MLS minutes

Tweet from Matt Doyle

Elninho repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I decided to look up the numbers, then got bored with the process so... It looks like a good stat. A mitigating factor might be that last year there were U-20 qs and Cup and that took away quite a few MLS tied players for much of the first half of the season. but overall, it looks this way, as more and more academies come online and we start to see solid players being developed through them and USL.

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That number will likely double by the end of the season too (baring any injuries).

mschofield repped this.