Louisville City FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by CHeading10, Oct 21, 2013.

1. CHeading10

CHeading10 New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Louisville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recent talk of Orlando moving to MLS has led one minority owner of that club to look into expanding USL to Louisville, KY.

2. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $250k check made out to Tim Holt and the team is his. Just call Ditech for details, no income verification required!

3. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    We talked about this briefly in another thread. There was an article the other week that when Orlando goes to MLS they'll still have a USL franchise to do something with. They were kicking around the idea of moving it to another city and affiliating with that club. The interesting part is the minority owner (besides saying he wants to have a USL club in Louisville) also owns a development group that just started construction on a 16 million dollar, 5,800 soccer stadium for the University of Louisville. I don't know how much sway this minority owner has, but everything would sure line up to have Orlando move their USL franchise to Louisville in 2015/2016.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they changed the league bylaws, Orlando has to actually be using their franchise or they would lose it. Your either an active franchise and playing in the season or the franchise reverts back to the league. Althought there has been a couple waivers given. So they might let them hang on to it for a year before taking it back.

5. Kaece

Kaece Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unless I'm missing something (certainly possible), Orlando will be playing 2014 in USL PRO, and will not commence play in MLS until 2015. If so, there's plenty of time to figure out what, if anything, to do relative to Orlando's USL PRO franchise (e.g., relocate or terminate), no?

Macsen repped this.
  6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that they have more then enough time to figure out what they will do with their franchise. But doubt if they will have much additional time during the year they prep for MLS, to also plan on setting up a ULS Pro franchise in another city. So if they are going to do that, they will need a completely seperate group to do that. But for the most part I was pointing out that you can't really have a not active franchise. That was my real goal of the post.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Orlando City has been a very positive PR scenario for USL. If they can keep even part of their ownership involved still by moving the USL Pro franchise and allow them to be the new MLS affiliate of the soon-to-be Orlando City MLS club, then USL will do it.

8. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is the money and front office to back this team, and good fan support, I'm all for it. After spending 20 years growing up right in the middle between Indy and Louisville before moving to KC, it's exciting seeing soccer grow in the region. Wish it would have happened sooner, might have been able to see some games that way

9. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Would set up a nice midwest regional rivalry between Dayton Ohio, St. Louis and Oklahoma City.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    University of Louisville's new soccer stadium, brought to you by Wayne Estopinal, part-owner of the Orlando City SC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT is a pretty nice stadium for NCAA soccer. So, to make sure I understand. Orlando plays in USL until the MLS team starts. Then once Orlando MLS is up and running, Louisville could become their USL-3 affiliate ?

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the theory, yes.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference, of course, being that Dayton and Oklahoma City actually have teams.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home of the Louisville Loopholes!

blacksun and Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville Loopholes FC

Your slipping Kenn.

I did get a tweet from Wayne Estopinal. Sounds like he is working on it, doesn't it?

https://twitter.com/WayneEstopinal/status/408994868250157057
    [​IMG]SoccerPrime ‏@SoccerPrime6 Dec
    @pkickorlando @straitpinkie I would spend less time convincing ppl of MLS & more time helping @WayneEstopinal and promoting USL Pro.

[​IMG]Wayne Estopinal‏@WayneEstopinal
    @SoccerPrime @pkickorlando @straitpinkie @WayneEstopinal Many thanks, we are making progress. Wayne...

18. C. B.

C. B. Member

Sep 6, 2013
    OKC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...but not forums. ;):whistling:

msilverstein47 and kenntomasch repped this.
  19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kentucky is all about [college] basketball. It's hard to make anything else go.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that argument a little old nowadays?

21. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Not when you have been in the area for an extended period -- maybe you have?

Now, maybe it's possible to get something going in the "offseason," i.e. summer. But, I'm not going to hold my breath on it. I really don't know how well the River City Rovers attendance has been. In the northern Kentucky region, the Cincinnati Kings didn't get any attendance at their USL Pro matches when they were.

Now, I think Louisville Lightning games were/are somewhat attended decently.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you told me that Orlando or Utah could have 20,000+ in attendance for soccer 10 years, I would be hard pressed to believe it. But its reality now. I really think the old "hard lines" aren't so solid any more and this perhaps is a new age we live in.

23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well the Louisville men's soccer team averaged 1,452 last year. I'm guessing they didn't do a lot of marketing to get that figure. That's a better figure then a few of the current USL Pro teams.

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Louisville men's basketball team gets 20,000-22,000+ at its home games. What's your point there? The majority of the USL Pro season runs when there are no students on campus, so they won't help that attendance figure. They also get over 50,000 fans (on average) for their football games.

There's also over 22,000 students at the University of Louisville. That's also more than what USL Pro teams get. I bet they did decent marketing to get that figure.

Orlando hasn't had 20,000 in attendance (only for a championship game). They averaged 8,000+ for the 2013 season with the largest attendance figure being 10,000-ish.

Cool.