Los Angeles Sol--off season banter, predictions, and suggestions

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by hula, Aug 23, 2009.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, sure, that's how things start down there. Innocently enough...

:)

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike LA, of course. Where unsuspecting forwards & attacking mids end up in defense while perfectly decent defenders sit the pine ;)

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is the right thread but for the moment this seems like the catch-all thread.

I'm a little worried about the situation for the Sol - they should've had this ownership thing wrapped up months ago. Not much we can do about it as fans but it should remind us that, if we want the team to be around, if we want the league to be around, we need to ask ourselves what we can do to help.

One thing I thought about had to do with Twitter and Facebook. (I started a thread in the general WPS forum).
    How many of you, I wonder, keep up a Facebook page. Do you mention going to Sol games or the viewing parties? Do you get any feedback from your friends? Do you get any signs of interest?

How many Sol fans, do you suppose, visit Big Soccer? Out of 5,000 people at any given game, a couple hundred? A couple dozen???

If we have ideas, if (for example) it's a good idea to encourage Sol fans to post their interest on Facebook, how do we share it with them? Are they here?

It's also not too early to start thinking of things like viewing parties. Not only for the Sol telecasts but a few other games. Perhaps the opening weekend game (depends of course on the Sol schedule). Or how about that US vs England World Cup game?

I know a few of you aren't interested in the men's game - or maybe it was just the Galaxy. But depending on the Sol's schedule I'm definitely going to suggest the Sol have a viewing party for the England game. Could get some more people to it. Could generate some interest. How should we get the word out? I'm thinking of a different place for that one. I like Fox and Hounds but they may be bursting at the seams as it is for that one.

4. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am always promoting WPS at my local
    Pub ( Ye Old Ship ) saying let's root for
    the ladies. I think it would be too packed
    to have a viewing party for England vs. US
    . A Sunday afternoon FSC game would
    b perfect .

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy supporters sometimes go to different bars all around (and Ye Old Ship is one of them I think) - maybe we can do that too on occasion. By "we" I mean those of us who started going to Fox and Hounds last season. And we sometimes got some people from the Sol organization, too, including players who didn't make the trip.

Maybe what makes sense for England vs US is that we split up and the team splits up and goes to 3 or 4 different places so we're not trying to cram everyone in one place. Of course this all depends on the Sol schedule (for all we know, they'll be on the road) and whether they're interested but I think this is an excellent opportunity for visibility among the soccer crowd in the area.

By the way, what kind of response do you get from people about WPS? I'm curious to know if you want to tell us.

6. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The general feeling about WPS at Ye Old Ship
    is that of football purity and nothing else.
    In that I mean ManU and Chelsea . They
    are a bit skeptical about "da Ladies".
    They say "here you go love, your ladies
    are on the tele .. Then." Then they go into
    a lecture about how American can't be
    true fans of the "pure" game. The will kind
    lof watch out of the corner of their eyes.
    The younger crowd will watch and even
    get excited about some of the tight matches.

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think a bunch of us need to trek down to your pub sometime during the season and at some point I'll suggest it to someone from the Sol. Then some Sunday you'll walk into Ye Old Ship and the bartender will say, "here you go love, your ladies are over there at the table..."

It's nice that you can get some of the crowd to usually pay attention. Now what do we have to do to get a couple of them to a game? And I mean that in a general way to, well, generally all of us. Anyway we should follow up when, thanks to us, some place puts the game on the TV and some people at least pay some attention?

Get them on Twitter?! (Mentioning it just because Twitter's up for discussion in the WPS forum).

Show them pictures of some of your favorite players? Like maybe someone from the Swedish or Norwegian national teams?!!

What would Peter Wilt do? (You know that just might be our paradigm for all our WPS thinking. What would Peter Wilt do? Except when it comes to getting players. Then it's what would Charlie do?)