Los Angeles Sol--off season banter, predictions, and suggestions

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by hula, Aug 23, 2009.

1. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  2. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im in morning..like ur new pic represents my mood.. Do I really trust this team..

3. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PISSED OFF............................... nuff said.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anyone understands the logic of this trade :confused:

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this tweet from Naimo might shed some light on lineups, if you can find the post referenced. I don't actually go to the WPS fan forum and a quick glance didn't yield much. Perhaps others of you can find more.

6. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Google is your friend! ;):p

Couldn't link, so have to cut and paste. This the guess of solalive on the fan forum:

"Your 2010 LA SOL Ladies and Gentleman

--------------------KK ----------------------

Stephanie Cox-----Engen--------Bock-------- Manya Makoski
    -------------Catherine Paaske ------------------------
    DiMartino---------Boxx-------------Miyama

-----Pavlina Scasna or Cristiana--------------------Marta---------- "

Now I wouldn't play Paaske Sörensen defensively: I think that would be a waste. But stranger things have happened.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm out of rep for you. Yes, I should have googled rather than try to look through the actual FanZone site (it's a mess, imo).

Switch Boxx & Paaske Sörensen in that lineup and the strengths of each are better used. And it is yet t be determined that LA would get Engen. And add the rumored 3rd European.

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone keeping track of which draft picks we have?

I know we have the #5 from the Allison Falk/Val Henderson trade. We have a first round pick from the St Louis trade last year (Kendall Fletcher, Christie Welsh). We have our own 1st round pick but I don't know what number it is. We now have the #14 from the Abily/DiMartino trade.

9. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    kolabear, where have you been???? we need you through all this trauma!:D

10. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
    As of 01/08/10, L A Sol has :

Round 1: 5 , 8 , 9
    Round 2: 14
    Round 3: 22
    Round 4: 38
    Round 5: 47
    Round 6: 56
    Round 7: 65

11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have I been? Traumatized! And I loved Tina D from her UCLA days! But giving up Camille is hard, real hard, even if there's some logic to it besides a possible money-saver.
    Thanks. I was hoping we had one more pick lower than #22 besides the one at #20 we just swapped in the Abily/DiMartino trade. Still, 3 of the top 9 and one more at #14 in this particular draft may be significant. It's easy for us fans (and some GMs) to get over-optimistic about draft picks but there seems to be consensus that this is a very good, deep draft. I read not long ago that Anson Dorrance, 5 years or so ago when he was recruiting for the Tarheels, noticed that this class had exceptionally strong talent so he stockpiled some scholarships rather than using them all on the class a year or two before.

12. ley82

ley82 New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I think I'm getting over the shock but I'm so heartbroken. It's like trading Pau Gasol to the Celtics :mad:

Even though she got traded I will always root for Camille. I just hope this trade and all the moves does not mess up the Sol.

I mean I think all we needed to do is replace Han Duan and thats it.

I think us fans are so sad cause we LOVED the Sol the way the were at the end of the season.

13. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It's not a one for one trade.
    LA gives up Abily + the 20th pick
    FCGP gives up Tina DiMartino + the 14th pick + the rights to one of the Pride’s 2009 International Discovery Players

I wouldn't trade down myself unless there are money or roster issues.

15. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing we are all missing is that it opens an internatinoal spot

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So WHO is coming?? Daniella or something?? She's not even healed from her injury plus doesn't St.Louis have first dibs at her?

I don't even think Daniella would be as good as Abily. Cristiane could be a different story but Chicago locked her up right?

It's just that Abily was VERY impressive last year and probably the 3rd or 4th best player in the league so she's very hard to replace.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You now have 5, 8, 9, 14, 22, and 25.

Los Angeles traded the rights to an unamed discovery player (speculation Del Rio) and the 65th selection to Boston for the 25th pick.

Edit: I believe the Boston forum indicated that it was definitely Del Rio.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  20. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, this is where we can see the bright side. Zerboni played on the same UCLA team as Tina D for 4 years. And McCall was fine. She was good. But who did UCLA really need on that team? Who do you really want from that team?

It's not close. And now she's playing for us.

21. Foxwell

Foxwell New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Alhambra, CA USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes me feel a little better...but I'll miss Camille. Sure they'll be others...
    Oh well, we'll always have '09.

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Del Rio and how good is she?

23. Ratpacker

Ratpacker New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Suggestion - offer adequate health benefits

I have heard that the Sol is among the teams that does not even cover health insurance of roster players for a full year. This seems oddly short-sighted to me. Players may purchase cheap insurance and then not deal adequately with injuries.

Does anyone know whether this is correct?:confused:

24. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjp1DpnfioA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- FC Indiana vs. Fort Wayne Fever Interview Highlights[/ame]

She plays for FC Indiana, we thought she would replace Camille Abily when she went to France last year. However, she was never signed by the SOL.

25. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's almost the draft and we've given up a lot to get here. Of course Camille is first and foremost in our minds right now, but also ALLISON FALK. VAL HENDERSON (who immediately becomes the likely starting GK for Philly). KENDALL FLETCHER (who immediately became a valuable starter for St Louis when we traded her). and CHRISTIE WELSH.

That's a hell of a lot and it was mainly for this - the draft. Other than the draft picks, all we've gotten in return that I can think of is Tina D, who has superb qualities, but still is such a gamble to pay off compared to Camille. So this draft is crucial for us - Charlie has staked a lot on it and given up a lot for it.

And we're still not getting top 4 (barring some last minute blockbuster trade) - so no Tobin Heath, Lauren Cheney, Kelly O'Hara. And either no Nogueira or no Whitney Engen.

But we will get a crack at one of those two - either Nogueira or Engen. (and if not them, then one of the first three).

After the 1st 4 are gone we get 3 of the next 5 picks or 4 out of the next 10. So who's there - a lot of pretty highly touted players. But of course there's no one single-handedly replacing Camille there. But we have to at least upgrade from Allison Falk and Kendall Fletcher (and then replace Val) or otherwise what was the point of giving up all of them?

Assuming Casey Nogueira is one of the 1st 4 taken, here's a list in no particular order of some of the top players that should be available - without listing any GKs because we probably won't use a high pick for a GK. I'm not always sure about the positions...

Whitney Engen (D- NC)
    Michelle Enyeart (F/MF - Portland)
    Nikki Washington (F/MF - NC)
    Ali Riley (D - Stanford)
    Kaley Fountain (D/F - Wake Forest)
    Becky Edwards (? - Florida St - I've seen her listed as both a forward & D)
    Katie Schoepfer (F- Penn St)
    Brittany Taylor (D - UConn)
    Kiki Bosio (? - Santa Clara)
    Kiersten Dallstream (D? - Wash St)
    Jordan Angeli (? - Santa Clara)
    Jill Hutchinson (F - Wake Forest)
    Nikki Marshall (? - Colorado)
    Kristi Eveland (D - NC)

I could be overlooking somebody as well. But if Charlie likes what's here on the list, we can get at draft at least 4 of these players. Moreover, we can get 3 of our favorite 5 from this list, since we draft 5th, 8th and 9th. It would make a good poll question - who's our top 5 from this list?

Kara's also available (Kara Lang) - who I love - but I don't see the Sol drafting her with one of their 1st 4 picks. Not with having to rehab a 2nd ACL injury and not with her counting against their International limit.