Looking way forward into 2022...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by CAllen91, Feb 18, 2015.

1. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...what do you think MLS should do about the 2022WC being in November-December? The dates would roughly be Nov 15 - Dec 15 placing it right in the middle of the Conference Championships and MLS Cup. Teams wouldn't want to be missing their star players for such important game.

henryo repped this.
  2. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Start the season in Jan... ;)

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there will be no need for the 2 week summer WC break, so pack the games in the late spring, early fall and get it done by November 1st.

krudmonk, QuietType, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  4. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Cconcurrently, reduce the number of games from 34 down to 30 or even 28 (just for that season), effectively cutting another 1 month+ off the schedule. ;)

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's downright shameful that FIFA won't be conforming its schedule to match the rest of the world.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, considering that MLS Cup was played in October in 6 of the first 7 years, it should not be a problem.
    Also, as ceezmad, pointed out, there will be summer World Cup break.
    The league and USSF may want to alter the US Open a bit that season, so there is not a logjam of games.

The 2022 World Cup is WAY less of a problem for MLS than it is for England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc.

dinamo_zagreb and henryo repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming the Fall to Spring leagues will start 2 to 3 weeks earlier and end 2 to 3 weeks later. There will be some short offseasons for players on many European clubs. A player on a good club and a national team that doesn't qualify could have a longer break from his club during the World Cup than during the club offseason. Zlatan Ibrahimovic won't be playing then, but maybe Gareth Bale of Wales would get a long World Cup break.

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True, but it also screws up the teams in the league, as they will have an enforced break when they normally would not.
    For Germany, the opposite exists. They may have a break from November to late January.
    Also, it may be better for Gareth Barry, but not for the large, large percentage of players in the World Cup who play in the major European leagues.

[​IMG]

scheck and henryo repped this.
  9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'd be angry if international football reduced the club season by 2 or 3 home games, but with no summer international soccer (Gold Cup, Confed cup, etc...) they could up a couple of weeks and get all the MLS games in.

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Let the rich clubs play without their star players. Oh well. You buy the expensive players knowing they'll be gone some of the time. Live with it.

manoa, KCbus and xtomx repped this.
  11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, but you don't want the best players missing in the play-offs.

EvanJ repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, and I don't want the MLS Playoffs to be overshadowed by the World Cup.

13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that would be the price one pays for having the best players.
    Something here in Chicago we have not had to "worry about" for a number of years. :notworthy:

That's pretty funny.
    MLS Playoffs would not be "overshadowed" by the World Cup, because MLS Playoffs are not a blip on the radar compared to the World Cup.
    Not in the sports world.
    Not in the soccer/football world.
    Not in the American sports scene.

skinut and henryo repped this.
  14. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2013 MLS Cup Final was overshadowed by the US/Colombia group stage match in the 1994 World Cup

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are not many things that I would choose over watching the Red Bulls in MLS Cup, but one of them is a USA World Cup game. The good news is that FIFA announces World Cup start times well in advance and I'm assuming the times in Qatar would be early enough that they could be done before MLS starts playing that day.

16. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Exactly, Americans are used to unbalanced schedules and can change format to shorten the season, we in Europe aren't and we would mind changing the calendar or shortening the season.

17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS won't shorten the season. It would cost the league and the teams too much in revenue. They'll simply pack in more mid-week games and start the playoffs earlier to make it work.

All the Qatar WC does is put the Europeans in the same position that we Americans are in during World Cup years. What they'll do is simply start their fall-winter-spring seasons earlier and end their seasons later. It'll be awkward, but they'll get by.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 KCbus, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    I wouldn't be so sure about that.

MLS has changed the length of their season so many times already that it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to remove a couple of matches from the schedule as a one time occurrence. I don't know if it's necessary, and it certainly wouldn't be the the ideal solution, but if they had to do a 32-match season instead of 34 ONE TIME, they'd make it work. It would literally be one fewer home match per club.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  19. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 fewer home match = ~6% less revenue from attendance per team. That is a pretty significant financial hit. Not to mention the fact that local TV contracts will likely be paying rights fees by then and will probably be based on a 34 game season. It could certainly be done, but I think that playing more mid-week games would be more likely.

20. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US national team camp convened on May 14th, 2014. The World Cup started on June 12th, 2014.

So I would presume the season would have to conclude one month prior to the World Cup. Since the 2022 World Cup is going to start on November 15th, 2022, that means we could see MLS Cup on, say, Sunday October 16th, 2022.

I am worried about the playoff schedule though. Playoffs now take more than a month. Any national team players who aren't on playoff teams, or are on teams that were eliminated early, will have lots of time off before the World Cup camp. And we condense the playoffs, then players on the finalist teams could enter camp exhausted.

I think I would prefer if MLS had smaller playoffs that year, say just the top 4 teams, that way the regular season can end closer to the start of the national team camp. Or each round could be one game instead of two legs. But I can't imagine MLS would go for that for financial reasons.