Looking Good : The Daley Blind Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Blind is a terrible #6. The only midfield position he is not terrible in is on the left side of a midfield three but we now have Pogba for that spot. The sooner Blind is shipped out the better for all concerned.

johno, Drae, JamesA and 1 other person repped this.
  2. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What does that have to do with Blind's shitness in midfield. Pogba is actually a lousy midfield partner, if Blind could not play in a defensive LVG midfield with minimum risk, I do not see how he can play in a more adventurous one with a partner who may go awol.

exref repped this.
  3. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know he's terrible, if you don't play him there?

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blind would be far from the ideal 6/holding mid type but I'd like to see what he would have to offer in midfield with Pogba next to him.
    A mid of that ilk has to high up the list of priorities as it's been mentioned time and again throughout these pages and it shouldn't be too difficult as there actually are options that are available for the taking.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He does not have any of the required attributes as he proves every single time he steps onto the pitch. We need a #6 who can read the game, position themselves correctly to cut out passing lanes and have the conviction to know when to step up and when to drop off.

Blind fails at all of this. He is indecisive, he routinely makes the wrong decision or just hides, his positioning is awful. The De Bruyne goal is a perfect example of Blind not reading the danger, not positioning himself correctly and then failing to be decisive.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #281 Ashur, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    That's pretty ironic considering those are precisely the only qualities that have made him relatively successful as a CB for United and what has made up for his lack of size, speed and strength, the attributes where he's actually found wanting as a CB in the Prem.
    He had a mare Saturday and was at fault in one way or another on both goals. He is however, putting Carrick aside, the closest option for a viable 6 until we can get a new/top shelf one at some point. If anything, it certainly would be worth a look, along with playing Smalling next to Bailly.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I have bemoaned his lack of those attributes from the start. The 'sympathy' he gets from being played out of position in combination with him hiding and allowing others to be criticised for his inaction results in a skewed view of his use. With a move away from LvG's turgid safety first approach Blind is being found out more often.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #283 Ashur, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    I think we get it, you don't care for the guy: point well taken. He certainly doesn't get much "sympathy" as far as I can tell for being played out of position. I don't care for him there at all, yet I am not afraid to acknowledge he's done a job for us at CB. And especially when it comes to last season, when Rojo and Jones were injured early on (then unable to find form when they were healthy) and also with the team failing to bring someone in January, my position is that we would have been screwed even worse if it weren't for him.
    Whether he was a product of the system we used then, having a great keeper in Dave behind him, or what have you, the bottom line is he did what was required of him and regardless of how we judge it, he delivered for the most part. That position asn't changed.
    It doesn't mean that it should carry over into this season, when we have other options and it goes double when we look to be in need in other positions, where he looks to be a more natural fit for and where he ought to be given a chance, if anything else.

9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blind gets crushed anytime we face pace. It is not hard to play CB against mediocre and crap teams. Any time we go up against quality, especially with pace, he kills us.

The Blind situation is the perfect example of those that read "results" and those that understand process. Those that realize Blind will get found out before it actually happens. This is no different then the Rooney thing really.

10. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You just typed the word process in a real sentence...

May god have mercy on your soul.

11. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In my attempt to avoid calling people idiots, I used a terrible word. My mistake. :unsure:

cr7torossi repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Close to Carrick? Based on what ?

johno and benni... repped this.
  14. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Magic.

johno, benni... and Amdrag repped this.
  15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The guy could not play DM/CM in an extremely accommodating system under LVG, yet people want to pair him with Pogba. Like what logic is that, so he cant play DM in a system that shielded him but play him DM in a system/partner that is not a CM himself.

Amdrag repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #291 Ashur, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Carrick is known for his reading of the game, his positioning and passing ability. Those are the same characteristics Blind is known for as well. It makes absolutely no sense why he shouldn't be given a chance in CM as opposed to CB. Carrick may have the height, but it's not like he's known for his pace or strength either, so to use those arguments against Blind playing in midfield is specious at best.
    Getting a top notch holding midfielder is definitely still very much a priority as far as I'm concerned, but in the meantime, Blind could be the temporary solution we need in that area and it would cost practically nothing to give it a shot at the very least...

17. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
  19. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I think trying to replace our aging-and-exiting players with a like-for-like is usually quite disastrous. Looking at how Carrick came after Keane, we should have already learned that we don't need replicas to win.

I do think Blind has qualities to be a CDM, I just don't think being the closest replacement to Carrick should factor in at all.

b0sk1, Amdrag and benni... repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #297 Ashur, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Of all the CMs we currently have, Blind may be the best option we have as a holding mid, for the simple reason that he appears to be best suited for the position, that's it really.
    Fellaini and Schneiderlin are clearly more effective in a B2B role, Carrick is older and a spot option at this point. Leaving Herrera, who does seem to have the aptitude as well, even if there are still some legitimate questions over his defensive capabilities as far as I'm concerned, which may make him best suited to certain opponents or situations.
    Even after getting Pogba, I always thought this past summer that adding a 6 or 6/8 hybrid was just as important as we clearly lack that type in the team and it's a need that will have to be addressed, be it in January or next summer at the latest.

21. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You keeping saying is he is best suited while making up his qualities. If he had those qualities then yes. He doesn't.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What the ******** happened to Scholes man. It's about time he shut the hell up.

Went his entire career despising the attention and fame, made his millions and created one hell of legacy. And now he can't stop yapping?

He needs to find a better outlet for his time.

SyedZada, johno, omar_mufc and 1 other person repped this.