Looking Good : The Daley Blind Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said anything about playing Pogba deep. If played in a midfield 2, the partnership I would like to see if with Schneiderlin and have the Frenchman have a freeer role where he can push more forward as he did with Soton.
    With Pogba involved, I still want to see him in a midfield 3 with Schneiderlin (or Herrera) as the 3rd guy.
    Blind may not be imposing physically, but he is a very intelligent player, who can pass the ball adequately and does have an acute positional sense and reading of the game. He is not a dominant force and does need big time players surrounding hi. To really shine.

2. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    When was the last time Jose played with a midfield 2 in a competitive game?

3. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He played a midfield two in all of our friendlies so far (assuming Ashur means 4-2-3-1 is a midfield 2). I can't see Jose being someone who would use a formation in preseason and then bin it for competitive games.

jeff070 repped this.
  4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I guess that's debatable then. I consider it a midfield 3.

b0sk1 and SyedZada repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is one that is pretty clear is that Mourinho has never been slave to any type of formation in particular. He has shown an ability to mix things up, depending on the requirements of certain situations and the personnel available to him.
    He has played with a midfield 2 (most recently with Chelsea), just as we've seen him using a 4-3-3 or even a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield.
    I fully expect that trend to continue with United and formations to be different based on the opponents we play on the day.

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Putting Blind in any midfield formation makes it unbalanced.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blind hasn't gotten a fair shake with regards to his midfield play. Was he successful as a CDM under LvG? No. Was anyone really successful anywhere under LvG? No.

He a more functional midfield Blind could do well. His biggest obstacle is his foot speed and strength.

8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pogba can do a better, more all around version of what Cesc did at Chelsea the year they won the title.

benni... repped this.
  9. Gnome

Gnome Member+

Nov 5, 2013
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
  10. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    ^^ And that's the jinx just in time.

sdotsom, jeff070, cachundo and 7 others repped this.
  11. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ^^For ********'s sake man!!

Amdrag repped this.
  12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    rubbish always stinks eventually.

Amdrag repped this.
  13. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Blind was plain awestruck by Citeh and decided to just stand there and admire the scenery ;)

14. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    I saw a comment on twitter that does make sense regarding Blind. Due to his lack of speed and height, he needs to commit to the challenge (tackle) quite early. Against lesser attackers he gets away with it because they are not good, but top players use this and go past him.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Owing to his lack of pace Blind over-commits sometimes, in this case though he did his other thing which is to drop off.

All his weight was backward from back-stepping towards goal - if he challenges for the ball like a CB should then if he goes with his head he draws a foul, if he goes with his foot (would have been a right-foot clearance - another issue he has) then if he doesn't get the ball he at least makes sure he gets his body between attacker and ball and maybe concedes a foul or delays KDB enough that Shaw gets around on the cover.

(still also unforgivable that Bailly doesn't jump for a ball that has travelled the length of the pitch)

[​IMG]

16. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I think last game was a reality check for a lot of our fans.

Bang average will always be eventually exposed. Blind, like Smalling, needs eventual replacing.

johno repped this.
  17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    both Blind and Bailly are at fault for that goal and you all who pick on Blind are just exercising selective criticism as you always do.

Part of Bailly's strength is supposed to be playing the ball in the air. He does not do what he is supposedly good at.

Part of Blind's strength is supposed to be his reading of the game. He also does not do what he is supposedly good at.

I don't know why Bailly backed off the aerial challenge in as much as I can't figure out Blind's ole bullshit. But if you are going to give Blind shit give Bailly the same crap.

exref, incighte, jeff070 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    if anything, bailly should be held most responsible as he made the initial error that put us into a bad situation.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #269 Ashur, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    The point Scholes has made is the pertinent one as far as I'm concerned. Blind is arguably a better holding midfielder than CB (even if he's done pretty well in that position for us). And given the fact that we may have an issue in that position, with the lack of a recognized holding mid, I for one, would like to see what Blind can do playing with Pogba.
    Some will say that Blind was not good for us midfield, an assertion I don't agree with, but he wasn't partnered up with a CM of Pogba's caliber either. It certainly would be worth the try at least, bringing Smalling back to the first XI in the process and try him with Bailly. At worst, one or both experiments will prove unsuccessful and things can always be changed back (or head another way) if necessary.

jeff070 repped this.
  20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Herrera is better with his first touch and ball retention from deep position, and his release is quicker. Blind is an organizer, great reading, good passing range, but his reaction time is slow, and his retention is questionable under pressure.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blind gets found out whenever teams play with two attackers central rather than the more usual single striker - KDB actually played further forward and more central than Iheanacho looking at ave. position.

22. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Herrera tends to get out of position from time to time. And he can go on some crazy ball chasing runs. Which if he is playing as the only 6 in a mid 3 is dangerous.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind Herrera at all in that role, but it really depends on the opponent. Blind's better positional sense and defensive game, make him in theory at least, a better choice than Herrera in some situations, against some opponents.

24. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blind has played about 10 times in midfield for United, and the most recent was almost 2 years ago.

25. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blind should really get in MF as our 6. I would only use him at CB against weaker opposition.