Looking for feedback on a possible Revs Supporters World Cup tournament this summer

Discussion in 'New England Supporters Clubs' started by SeñorFutbol, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm ready for spring mentally. Physically I'm beginning to gain steam on the completion of my "Field of Dreams" in our backyard.

Upon completion we will have a small field app. 30 yard X 40 yard "unique" pitch in the backyard. I plan to use it often to kick around myself, but I'm thinking of possibly hosting an event for Revs Supporters.

In celebration of the World Cup this summer my idea is to have a 3v3 supporter World Cup tournament. Maybe 8-16 teams from the 4? Revs supporters groups put together and representing countries that are playing in South Africa.

I'm thinking maybe combining it with an away game viewing party. Sat. June 5 Revs. vs. Seattle (10:30pm)comes to mind. 1 week before WC begins.

I'm trying to gauge interest from supporters to see if folks would dig a fiesta like this and would actually put teams together to play. I figure it could be a good opportunity for supporters groups to get together and mingle. Of course there will be some pride at stake!

I have some ideas kickin' around in my brain for the tourney, but I'm curious to see if it will be worth the effort. I don't know if folks actually like to play soccer or just tailgate. My idea for the event is to do both.

Your feedback is appreciated. Ideas are welcome of course!

1 person likes this.
  2. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how that wouldn't be a fun time. I'd be down.

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like a fantastic idea. Put me down as well.

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Great idea.

5. MidnightMackemRider

MidnightMackemRider New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awesome idea. I would be down.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea Mike....I'm in!

Just do me a favor and make Monty's team Mexico!

:D

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you will be playing goalkeeper.

8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

haha!:D

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing Mike won't need his passport to get to Holliston!

1 person likes this.
  10. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome idea.

I'm in too.

11. ShootDaBoot

ShootDaBoot New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. jostradamus

jostradamus Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive been wanting this to happen forever!

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, it's long overdue. Awesome idea, use facebook and word of mouth to market it and you'll fill teams in no time.

14. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my fat ass can play goal keeper...I am there!!!!

15. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's generally a keeper for 3v3.

16. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be down for this

17. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Revs Supporters World Cup - Update

I'm still in the very early stages of planning. I'm gonna throw out some ideas for feedback below. Once the MLS season starts we can discuss more details at tailgates.

The field will have use 2 small sided goals. 6' Tall X 12' Wide.

Due to the size of the goals I think have a goalkeeper is the best option.

4 vs. 4 is a definite option. 3 vs. 3 with a roaming goalie also.

Please note that the pitch is unique and has "character" meaning it is not perfectly flat. The main area is flat. There are slight slopes and one corner has major slope. Not much I can do about this, but it will definitely add to some interesting/fun moments during games!

After doing some research I will post rules/regulations of the game to follow the basic guidlines of small sided tournaments.

I might need a hand during games to assist with scoring/refereeing. I have the equipment to do so.

I'm basically thinking the following:

18+ players only. Coed teams OK.

Tailgating atmosphere.
    Bring your tables, chairs etc. as you would a Revs game.

BYOB and food. I'll donate a 1/2 barrel of beer (TBD) & cups.
    I'll need to be pretty strict that folks 21+ only consume while on the premises.

I can supply a main BBQ grille and my portable grille for use. I recommend your team bring a grille and having it handy if necessary. I'll designate a grille area.

I'll have a water station and scorer/referee table set up for players.

Obviously bathrooms are available in the house. A small changing room will be available in the basement with access through the bulkhead.

I'm curious to see how many teams will form and truly commit. This event hinges on solid commitment from teams to show up and play. Also the scheduling, game length and brackets depend upon the # of teams. If it's a WC tourney then 32 would be the max, but it could be too many.

If commitment is solid I will approach the Revs FO to see if they'll consider donating a prize for the winner.

This will be a SHINE ONLY event and if the weather does not cooperate on the scheduled date we will have to reschedule. Ideally the event will be outdoors and I'd like most folks to remain outdoors except when using the restroom.

Depending upon the # of folks attending our house may not be the best location for the viewing party. Holliston has one local little sports pub wich is a nice little place. It's about 1.5 miles (3 min. drive) from our house. It could be the ideal location for the viewing party post tournament. I'd be willing to approach them to see if they can host the away game viewing party there with a drink special or two. It could be fun to christen this place Revs Supporter style. I keep forgetting to donate a scarf as the Revs aren't represented there yet along with all their other cool Boston sports memorabilia.

As I mentioned previously any ideas or recommendations for the tournament are welcome!

18. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need a ref?

19. CraigNB

CraigNB New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    110% back this

So down. PORTUGAL will win you know this right? Haha.

On weekends I'm in Franklin, MA so I could be in Holliston in like 10 minutes, let's do this.

20. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes. I'll need assistance with refereeing and assistant refereeing (sideline refs). It will depend upon the # of games played.

I have all the ref equipment. Just need bodies and commitment to take it somewhat seriously. The object is to have fun, but the refs will be in charge of managing the games smoothly. Basically the Refs will help set the tone for the whole day/tournament.

I'm also thinking of a creating some sort of short skills competition for folks to participate. Maybe a short shooting contest during each halftime or something. Open to non-players in order to engage fans during the tournament.

21. CraigNB

CraigNB New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So excited for this! Who wants to be on my team yo?!

22. hollistonrevsfan

Oct 13, 2002
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely in. SenorFootball, where in Holliston are you?

23. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    count me in!!!!

24. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm located in East Holliston near Rt. 126 & Rt. 16 - Across from MacArthur Farm Stand.

I took advantage of the warm weather over the weekend to finally break ground. I have some pics, but can't figure out how to post them?

25. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They've got to be uploaded to a website (facebook, flickr whatever) then post the links within the tags...