Looking for advice on starting a youth team

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by eighties8080, Aug 27, 2004.

1. eighties8080

eighties8080 New Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Maryland
    I wanted to get some opinions on a quetion that's been holding me up from starting a youth team. I was looking at starting a U12 or U14 team. I have a good list of players who have expressed interest in playing. The question I have is how much to charge them for the team. I realize that costs vary from team to team depending on league and tourney fees, travel costs, etc. I was wondering how much most teams charge to get a feeling on how much would be to much. I would like to get the team to play year round, which would include 2 indoor sessions, and a few tournments. I know this is a broad questions, but I am interested in getting the team started to represent the arena I work at so I was curious to know the prices for other teams.

2. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    alot depends on what organization/league you join. these will have different costs associated with them including admin, insurance, refs etc.

Tournaments also can be factored in, then do you want to make money off of it or just break even.

3. eighties8080

eighties8080 New Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Maryland
    I'm just looking to break even. I don't care about the money really. I have heard from diferent people to charge $400, but I don't know if that is average or what. Any help would be appreciated.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ask ur club reps

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Our "travel" programs cost around $95/year + uniform + tournaments. This covers insurance to the state org, ref fees, field upkeep.

You need to decide if you will affiliate with a group, might make it easier to get into leagues. If so, they will have the fee structure you need. The group will also have field access for you.

If not, you get to make it up. If on your own, you also need to find field time, which may cost. The fields are usually either owned by a school or the town. In either case you will need insurance to cover any injuries, you may have to pay a fee to the town/school for field use.