Looking at income disparity/inequality...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College coaches are paid from athletic department funds. At the schools you mentioned, the athletic department funds a ton of other things, including academics.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Actually, when I went to college a university education was still affordable and I was able to work my way through college and graduate without any debt with STEM based degree that actually had value in a competitive work place.

It is pity you ignored the crux of my point. That government policies have driven up the cost of higher education, resulting in high student debt and many indebted students graduating with worthless degrees (if they actually graduate). If we were smarter in our higher education policies a college degree would be much more affordable and we would be graduating more students with degrees in areas our economy desperately needs (i.e. STEM based educations). Instead our kids are graduating deep in debt and we face shortages in critical areas.

As a side note, Elizabeth Warren was able to amass a huge fortune in academia before joining the House of Representatives in 2013. Remember that next time she wants to magically eliminate $1.5 trillion dollars in student debt on day one of her Presidency.

3. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    So a woman who went to college and improved her lot wants to help those behind her accomplish the same?

Shocking, I tell you. For shame.

fatbastard and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am simply suggesting we question a politician that promises to solve a problem when they were a big part of creating the problem in the first place. Why is that so difficult a concept to grasp?

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What's a huge fortune?

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, the athletics and the country club amenities that colleges have now are one reason I'm against free college for everyone. It would be great if paying for the athletics was optional.

You may be right about the appeal of going away to college for kids who grow up out in the boondocks. But most of the population lives in metropolitan areas that have a decent public university. Living at home and attending the local school is an economical option to paying for 4 years at a luxury sleepaway camp, but it doesn't seem that popular. A person could avoid a lot of loan debt that way.

For those who think college should be free for everyone, what are you willing to give up? I haven't heard anyone volunteer that they would give up big time sports, gourmet food or luxury fitness centers. Nor have I heard any candidate who wants to make college free explain how they would address wasteful, non-education related spending at colleges and universities. How fast are college costs going to rise once taxpayers are paying for all of it? (Answer: Very fast.)

Sorry for the off topic rant. What were we talking about?

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

charlie15 repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    <LeslieNielson>A large pile of cash, but that is not important right now.
    </LeslieNielson>

fatbastard repped this.
  9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Not really. Those schools net $5-10 million a year on the reports I looked up. But those are only include operating expenditures. So they’ll include the guys pushing the broom and changing the light bulbs, but they don’t include capital outlays. And if you’ve got $300-$400 million of athletic infrastructure sitting around (and all of the big ones do), then a schools capital expenditures to simply maintain what they have will consume all of those profits if athletics was a standalone venture.

What they can (help) generate are school donations.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think it is safe to say the highest paid public employee in most states is either a football or basketball coach.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    166 weeks? That is over 3 years.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just today I got to hang out with an old friend from back in high school who had twins in December. She had to start leave around week 33 of pregnancy because, while pregnancy generally sucks ass, pregnancy with twins sucks double ass and she was struggling to breathe. Babies came at week 36, and one had to spend time in the NICU because she was growth restricted and very small. Friend's company's policy is "you get your 12 weeks of FMLA and that is absolutely it," so she's going to have to put her premie twins into daycare at two months, even though doctor's advice was don't even take the babies out of the house for at least three months since their immune systems are so underdeveloped.

Also daycare for two two-month-old premies is about $2,200/month. Not even good daycare. Friend asked about their early child education curriculum and they were like "what's a curriculum?"

To compare, my husband's brother and his girlfriend had their first a year ago in Austria. Mom got a year of leave, 60% of her salary during that time paid by the government. Since her employer wasn't paying, that had some money and could bring in a temp to cover her work during that time. Those temp positions provide a lot of opportunity for fresh-out-of-college, not-much-experience folks to start getting some career experience. After that year, they had the option of her taking another year, or dad taking a year of leave. They've opted to start daycare and both go back to work.

Daycare for them is subsidized by the government and costs five euros per day.....and they're both doctors.

dapip, xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    That appears to be the Estonian flag. They're very progressive there. :coffee:

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    https://mashable.com/2015/01/25/maternity-leave-policy-united-states/

This article, while five years old, helps sum up a lot of issues with the current FMLA policy. I quite like this line:

fatbastard, ElNaranja, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Plenty of time to have another kid and roll it over for another 166 weeks.

VFish repped this.
  16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bUT if tHE GovERnMuuuuNt pAyS fOR YOuR ChilDs CArE iT OwNs It!!!

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, if I would have known debts were going to be whipped out, I would have picked a better party school.

University of Miami would have been a good experience if I go to go there for free. ;)

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do see a difference between the plans to make State University tuition free and the populist call to pay back student loans.

Now people do bring up Germany and how they have free College, but what they conveniently leave out is the German selection process where from a very age, students start to be separated based on sores and talent, and only the best students qualify for free college.

The selection does create inequalities among parts of German society, specially with Turkish-Germans that end up in lower tier programs on average.

russ repped this.
  20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just between ethnic groups either.

I have dozens of cousins in Germany and when I go visit I have some that won’t talk to or even be around others because they went to university. They are even starting to differentiate between languages, high and low German.

Dr. Wankler and JohnR repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's embarrassing that the U.S. bends its knee to such a weak country. Caving to the Chinese I could see. But Russia? It is entirely incompetent. If it didn't have natural resources, it would have no economy at all.

Sad. Terrible.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Didn't see the Argies on the ball