Looking at income disparity/inequality...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wealth transfer from those who have more money than they need, and more than they would otherwise spend, to college students (or recent grads) who have a large amount of human capital, nut not financial capital. That's good economics. If the government won't step up, then who am I to quibble with the private market's solution? The invisible hand and all that ...

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, the invisible hand has also the bad habit of grabbing unwilling participants by their pu$$ies at times... So, at long as there is a properly signed non-disclosure agreement, we should be good to go, right?

On a related factoid, $130k covers about 2 years of out of state college/dorm/books or 4 years in state..

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't know that Key and Peele did a second version of the East West All Star Game.

"Jammie Jammie Jammie. THE. Ohio State University."

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That reminds me of the star Chicago youth soccer player who was recruited by UCLA. His application essay was: "I am a recruit for the UCLA soccer team."

That was it, and that sufficed.

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    This is where my mind went first with that name.
    [​IMG]

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #481 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    And prior years are even funnier. Here are some more good ones.

IV Stucker & Brickman House made it for several years.

Wilkins Dismuke
    Halston Jet Harding
    Cutty Diamond
    Peer Fish
    Arden Wipf. This is by far my favorite. Like an 1800s English dandy.
    Ridge Flick
    Zeppy O'Green. A Marx Brothers great grandson?
    Benson Oldmixon

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Fancy Varsity Blues lawyer gets put on leave from firm:

A leading New York lawyer was “placed on a leave of absence” due to his arrest in the blockbuster college admissions cheating scandal that also snared actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, his firm said Wednesday.

In a statement, the white-shoe firm of Willkie Farr & Gallagher cited the “widely reported” charges against co-chairman Gordon Caplan, 52.

“In light of the seriousness of the matter, Mr. Caplan has been placed on a leave of absence from the Firm and will have no further Firm management responsibilities,” the statement said.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/top-nyc-lawyer-put-on-leave-over-college-admission-scam-arrest/

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

[​IMG]

"I didn't go to Harvard."

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was actually asked several times if I was interested in doing that, back when I was doing business I China. I gather it's a very popular arrangement in places like China, South Korea and Japan.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #487 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Chinese mistress or baby panda cub?

At 26, Shanshan has come a long way from rural Sichuan, one of China’s poorer southern provinces, famous for the “spiciness” of its food and its women. Today her lover, Mr Wu, keeps her in a Beijing apartment that “cost 2.5 million yuan ($410,000),” and visits whenever he can find the time away from his wife. In his late 40s, and an official with a massive state-run oil company, he was recently in Africa for six months developing an oilfield. Shanshan got bored and decided to improve her scant English by finding a ‘language-exchange partner’ online, which is how she and I became friends this spring.

And there's always some weird shit like this:

What’s more, some young Chinese women infantilize themselves, often with the aid of plastic surgery, to imitate the big-eyed heroines of Japanese cartoons. The aesthetic is popular with older men, who are aroused not just by the fragile look, but by affected sa jiao, whining done in the fashion of a demanding child. In their private pictures, the girls look all of 14, while the men play alongside them in childish games or make faces at the camera.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, it's worth every penny. Those baby pandas are so cuddly...

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like Michael Jackson. He had those boys around him just to cuddle, right? That's what they told us ...

dapip and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    The extent that students go to gain entry to prestigious schools in USA is hard to understand for citizens of other western countries.

I don't love everything about Canada, but I like not worrying in 8th grade about whether or not my extra curriculars will keep me out of university. Never mind the fact that you'd have to rob a bank to afford attending a lot of those schools.

The vocabulary ie "dream school" "back up school" and even visiting universities seems crazy to me.

I don't condone what those parents did in the cheating scandal, but they're also the product of a crazy system.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone here.

xtomx repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some of these super rich kids don't have to work an honest job in their lives. So why not just let 'em go to the slightly lower tier schools? Cause mom & dad need the bragging rights.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You just don't get how exceptional is our American exceptionalism...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    On other news, there's more connections:

https://people.com/tv/olivia-jade-yacht-amid-lori-loughlin-college-admissions-bribery-scandal/

On Tuesday evening, while Loughlin was taking an overnight flight from Canada to L.A. to surrender to authorities, 19-year-old Olivia Jade was on billionaire Rick Caruso’s yacht in the Bahamas, according to TMZthis link opens in a new tab.

The outlet reports that Olivia Jade was on the glitzy vessel with Rick’s daughter, Gianna Caruso.

“My daughter and a group of students left for spring break prior to the government’s announcement yesterday,” Rick, 60, told the outlet. “Once we became aware of the investigation, the young woman decided it would be in her best interests to return home.”

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guillotines are underrated.

xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    737 Max 8s will fit more

russ repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No universities care about 8th grade ... but the parents sure do. They're even crazier than the system.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, this is really bad. Bribery IS the reason some people didn't get into this or that school.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Rick" Caruso... yeah, I googled. Cracking up that it's actually his birth name

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know this is a "scandal," and has two minor celebrities involved, highlights the inequities in the system and demonstrates how the rich will pretty much try anything (and, almost always, get away with it).

However, we have an active Russian asset occupying the White House, his campaign manager has been sentenced to over 7 years in jail (and that is not NEARLY long enough), much of the periphery of his inner circle is under indictment, there is a widespread investigation into the entire administration, including the Russian asset's Russian asset kids.

I just don't have the bandwidth in my brain to deal with this college admission bribery bullshit.

They can all f*ck off to jail, which (of course) they won't.