Look what we found behind the Crimbo tree (Liverpool Sign Virgil van Dijk)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Dec 27, 2017.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the ripple effect of signing VVD ...

What will we do with Gomez? Joe has been excellent and, without VVD, would have been a future starting CB. Now he'll be staying at RB until we release either Lovren or Matip. Joe's too good to be a sub CB at this point in his career. Keeping Joe as regular RB works for me, but ....

Does that restrict TAA's chances of developing into a starter? He is one season away from being a reliable starting RB imo, even at his age. I'd hate to lose him.

And ... what happens at RB when Clyne returns? Assuming he does return and assuming he gets his form back (neither of which is a certainty of course) we'll have 3 RBs good enough to start any game. My guess is Clyne gets moved, and we rotate Joe and TAA until a CB spot opens up for Joe.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We aren't releasing Matip. He's 26 and generally our best CB. VvD and him will be the preferred partnership for a long time if healthy. Lovren will likely not be moved until the summer if he is moved at all (it will depend on us getting another CB that Klopp likes) - Klavan is 32 and will round out the 4 CB grouping. Gomez - not even 21 - will get spot games at CB, and will continue to play RB to gain experience (like Carragher for example). As Klavan transitions out/Lovren is sold - Gomez will have a chance to start making more CB starts.

LiverpoolFanatic and burning247 repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for information purposes (from RAWK):

Prior to the VVD deal under Klopp defensively we have offloaded Enrique, Toure, Skrtel, Smith, llori, Wisdom, Lucas and Sakho for combined fees of £46.25m.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For now Gomez and Trent continue at RB. It’s a perfect situation because Klopp doesn’t want to burn out either player. For next season, I don’t think Gomez will have any problem moving ahead of Lovren for 3rd choice at centerback. It will also be good to give Matip some competition for his spot. While Matip is no doubt a quality player, our defense has continued to be a weakness since he arrived. VVD and Matip have both had their fair share of injuries, so there will still be opportunities for other players.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wow, you're a techie genius.
    Wats a Latin vowel key? No, don't answer that. :)

Red Bird and liverbird repped this.
  7. canucksh

canucksh Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Well isn't this a wonderful bit of news to hear while I'm sitting by the pool on holidays in Fiji.

I hope he can regain his form. I like that he has pace, height, strength and is a talker. Hopefully he can provide some leadership presence to the backline, we could sure use it.

So we now have VvD or Klaven for the left CB slot and Matip or Lovren for the right CB slot. Lovren has always been better in the right CB spot.
    We also have Gomez as backup for anywhere across the backline.

I know Klopp likes Matip but I'd like to see what VvD and Gomez could do as a partnership. They both have pace and are skillful on the ball which I think is critical for the style of game Klopp has us playing.

Next year is going to be interesting.

8. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matip is good with the ball at his feet, better than Lovren and Klavan. He doesn't have Gomez' pace but has more experience at this level.

but, Martin Keown, the second ugliest ex-Arsenal defender, sides with you

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/joel-matip-van-dijk-shouldnt-together/

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quietly making the group better. I think the task of correcting past mistakes is understated. Which is why recruitment has to be spot on, not just the manager and the coaches going all the way down to youth coaches but the supporting cast of scouts, director of football as well. It's taken FSG some time to line up all the ducks but it's looking good so far.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  10. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a tactical perspective, what sorts of things might we see different when VVD starts playing for Liverpool? I have been excited since last summer's rumors, but beyond some impressive defense when I watch him vs Liverpool last season, I don't know much about him or what he might bring to the pitch that Matip/Lovren/Klavan don't. Matip seems to be the more offensive of the three we see regularly, being allowed to push pretty far up with the ball at times.

I'm not saying VVD isn't an upgrade, I am just curious if and how we might look differently if you pair VVD with one of the aforementioned centerbacks.

11. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Supposedly capable of better distribution from deep, strong leadership, good in the air, physical, quick.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same thing was said about Lovren. Defending in a Liverpool team needs a different way of playing and thinking.

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Lovren is not good at distribution. And not particularly quick.

14. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Come to think of it, he’s not much of a leader and not particularly good in the air either! :oops:

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    delay I can't say I've ever watched him closely, but what you're saying is 180 degrees away from every scouting report/pundit review I've ever read about him.

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t he referring to Lovren?

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well, you may have a point ..... :) I assumed it was re VvD given the thread. :rolleyes:

(note to self - stop speed-reading posts!!!!!!!!!)

18. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Dang - that man is BIG

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe Carra has shrunk?

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    everyone shrinks with age. :)

I believe VVD is the tallest player we have at 6-4*.

* Note: same height as me. I used to play CB but I think he might be a bit better than I was.

usscouse repped this.
  22. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Carra slowed down the Scouse a bit so that Virgil could understand him better...

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    been doing that ever since I landed in Toronto 40+ years ago ..... :)

usscouse repped this.
  24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You must be tiny these days. :p

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't make me come over there ..... cheeky sod, never learn do ya .....