Long Threads

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 11, 2004.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know what it's like to have to deal with both technical issues and irate customers who don't understand the technical issues. I guess I was acting as a lightening rod to give them a break. I probably shouldn't have, but I guess that's too late now.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to wonder why we haven't heard from them in a couple of days. Is it because things are going to stay exactly the way they are and if we don't like it we can ******** off or is it because they're busy doing other things or what?

Because I think a couple of perfectly reasonable solutions have been advanced but no one is saying or doing anything. Which makes me worry.

3. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Says you.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, he is the guy in those Wendy's commericials. I knew it.

5. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers

Welcome to my ignore list. No good reason to be so abrasive, but I guess you don't care.

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this contributed so much to the discussion.

People on both sides of this debate have really been dicks at times, but you take the ********ing cake.

7. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I don't disagree with you on this point, but I could find you plenty of 1-5 word posts in the soccer related forums too, if I had the time to look. It's not just an NSR problem, although I'll admit that folks in NSR should stop doing this.

[Flannigan]

Just my opinions.

[/Flannigan]

8. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    BTW, I would still appreciate it if someone who is actually associated with Bigsoccer Inc. could explain to me why the server problems have only begun recently in spite of the fact that 1000+ page threads have been in existence for over three years and yet there was never any discussion in the past of limiting the FFA threads.

The dialogue that we had during the past couple of days was great, but it seems to have dried up.....

9. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This is just getting tiresome. I understand you guys are an established and valuable part of the bigsoccer community both in conent and finacially. However, the Administrators on this board have said this is the way things have to be, they've tried to compramise with you in terms of accomidating your community's needs and yet people are still going on and on but what you guys want and 'need.' I get that you think you're fighting for some greater good here but the suggestion of 'why don't we just try to use extremely long threads instead of insanely long ones and see how it goes' rings a little thin to me. Why don't you guys try to do it the other way around? Accept the compramise, see how it works and go from there. It seems to me the Admins on this board have been pretty responsive to your requests and needs, perhaps its time to accept that and move on. Although it's a shame I'm apparently on your ignore list, but it seems as though anyone who's disagreed with general Senior Member sentiment has either been viewed as a patsy, a dick head, or abrasive.

But with that. I'll refrain from posting further in this thread as it's really none of my concern and my oppinions are already known.

10. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Gee, would increased traffic to the site be the answer?

Idiot.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this really a recent phenomenom? Seems like I've been getting server busy messages forever. Could the new Big Soccer be more impacted than the old one where, dammit, I had to actually type in colons and things to make cute little faces. But, you're right, it'd be nice if someone in the know would check back in every once in a while. At least to say, "I feel your pain, now, kindly, ******** off." Instead, they're just implying ******** off. :p

12. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, do you have to contribute your own hot air ? :)

13. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They did not start recently. We've had them for years, and have constantly improved on them. Everyone has noticed how much better it has been since the relaunch in March/April. Now we are trying to capture and lose ends.

14. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The reason we haven't been jumping into this thread is that it seems the folks affected by this were coming to their own policing/compromise solution. I think our opinion on this, 1000 pages, etc has been pretty well stated above.

Please note that talking about pages is worthless, as that's a user-customizable setting.

We asked for 350 posts. 500 posts. 750 posts. We trust the community to do what is in the best interest of everyone. If not, we'll start locking stuff ourselves.

15. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    So being abusive to people that you don't know is your "thing," is it?

I can't ignore list you, but I can easily stop reading your posts. So long, caustic twit.

16. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    ok, so 750 posts or 50 pages at 15pp. And we'll police it ourselves so threads don't have to be immediatly locked. This seems fair.

Just let us know if you decide to upgrade the servers so we can bump it to a thousand posts. ;) :D

17. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...wait....whatever happened to jim's idea?

Not only is it prolly the easiest way to solve the problem, but i think that keeping the long FFA threads away from the other FFA threads would improve organization as well.

18. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    this was part of jim's solution. I'm cool with the new fora for the long threads, but I understand if people have an issue with segregation or whatever.

19. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, i think that segregation would have probably a negative effect on the threads. It may not be noticable at first, but after time i think that the threads would start to become stale. I don't know if this would happen, but it is what i think would probably be the case.

20. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I think people will still get curious and pop in. In fact, calling attention to the threads by giving them their own forum might even attract more attention.

And it would be lots, lots easier to manage.

Seriously, I absolutely cannot stand the baby threads the way things are currently configured.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been for the new forum for a while (waaay back many many months ago when it was first suggested). But I think Captain Splarg makes a good point at the top of page 15. I agree that the number of new posters to these threads would drop. As a fellow mod who does a fair bit of moving threads (or at least did) I agree that moving the threads would make for less clutter, and as a regular FFA, I can see that it would.

We are adjusting to the new format, though I'd like to up it to 500 posts, or 600 (default being 15 posts/page = 40 pages with max being 40 posts/page = 15 pages). I prefer 600 posts so that everybody can have a cut off with pages as well as posts.

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In any case, quallies are coming up. Those of us who lived through the 2001-2002 nightmares (site goes down like a hooker on rent day around halftime of a match and you spend the next 48 hours trying to get on) have no desire to repeat that.

And with the increase in membership since then it will be 50 times worse. If they didn't tighten the thing down before all hell breaks loose, they'd be idiots.

I have my beefs with stuff around here, and I absolutely hate change of any kind for any reason (not really - I just say that to make my enemies happy) but whatever they can do to keep this place up and running at midnight four hours after the USA kicks mexico in the junk 5 - 0 is worth putting up with.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, dude, seriously...(disclaimer) you know I love and respect you, but(/disclaimer) if there's anybody here who gets less joy out of actually, you know, being here than me, it's you. And I mean that with love and respect. :)

24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    When that happens, I'll buy everyone here a round of beers the next time I see them. Hopefully, it'll be at Azteca, and i can offer a beer to every Mexican willing to officially declare themselves Landon Donovan's bitch.

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now see, I don't get this. I'm busy being, you know, supportive of the management's efforts to make improvements and streamline the thing, and you see it as negative.

I'm also projecting a massive chopdown of the Tri, certaily a positive thing.

Yet here you are, in all your Tomaschness, hanging crepe, raining on my parade, harshing my mellow and bumming my karma.

Now that my oneness with the cosmic all has been thrashed by your thoughtless derision, I'm giving up all my worldly goods and hitting the road to preach love and hemp.

I hope you're happy you miserable bastard.