Long term, which concacaf nations should host subsequent World Cups?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by 00Kevin, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wathcing the opening day of this U-20 woman's world cup in Canada and I started thinking about how Canada is a nation which has worked it's way up in the soccer hosting world

football tournament at summer olympics in montreal 1976
    u-16 men's world cup in 1987
    up-20 women's world cups in 2002
    u-20 men's world cup in 2007
    mls cup in 2010
    another u-20 women's world cup 2014
    Women's World Cup 2015
    The concacaf president commented sometime in the last year that they might try hosting the CONCACAF Gold Cup in different countries, so i could imagine that happening within the next decade

Canada is running out of things to host, it definitely seemed like would be gunning for hosting the World Cup itself, as they are. They announced earlier this year that they are bidding for 2026.

But they arn't the only ones, Mexico are looking to bid on the same tournament, having hosted it in 1970 and 1986, two of the most memorable world cups. They also hosted the confederations cup in 1999 and numerous youth tournaments, the most recent being in 2011.

And then there's the USA, hosts of the 1994 tournament who I feel should have been awarded 2022 over Qatar (I'm sure you're all familiar with that) and have been linked with bidding for 2026 or taking over the 2022 world cup from qatar, though neither of which have been confirmed by US Soccer. the us have hosted alot of gold cups and will host the copa centenario in 2016. FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke was quoted during the world cup in brazil that FIFA is interested in the united states for 2026.

If I'm not mistaken, I have heard in the past that Mexico and Canada are each interested in co-hosting with the USA, but personally I don't think that is very likely as these are all huge countries who are perfectly capable of hosting a world cup on their own.

But while we debate who should be the winning bid from concacaf for 2026, we should consider from who concacaf's subsequent world cup hostings should ideally be going to.

As of me righting this in 2014, The United States has a unique place in the world market and huge population of sports lovers who are growing hungrier and hungrier for international football. It seems to me, and i'm sure alot of american soccer fans agree, that it will host world cups more frequently in the future than most nations get it. Canada is similar to the us in that it never had a huge market for soccer but it growing. Mexico is the historical conacaf giant with an amazing track record of hosting memorable tournaments.

a few more questions to complicate things: should the US host the world cup more frequently than other concacaf nations? Should the US co-host with Canada or Mexico? how many years/cycles will pass between each world cup hosted by concacaf? do you see central america or the carribean ever hosting a world cup? Could you see a single world cup hosted across the region in numerous countries (ala euro 2020)?

So let's discuss!

2. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for me, I could see the US getting the cup in either 2022 or 2026 and then getting it again every 50 years or so with 2 other concacaf locations hosting in the intervals, I see Canada hosting a first world cup before mexico hosts a third, and I could imagine a combined central american bid...someday. my list is below:

Past:
    1970 Mexico
    1986 Mexico
    1994 USA

Future-
    2020s USA
    2030s-2040s Canada
    2050s-2060s Mexico
    2070s USA
    2080s-2090s Canada
    2100s-2110s Combined Central American bid?
    2120s USA
    2030s-2040s Mexico
    2050s-2060s Combined Carribean bid?
    2070s USA

hang in there for another 150 years Jamaicans! Your shores will host a world cup yet!

PaulieJay repped this.
  3. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not remotely possible to do a Caribbean or Central American joint bid at least under the current economic and logistical barriers (granted, they may not exist in 100 years). Other than marginally Jamaica and Cuba, none of them have the ability to host near what a WC would bring.

4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #4 La Trucha, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    I'd say break barriers and do a WC in Central America. Instead of having the 7 CA teams automatically qualify, they'd form Central America national football team; so the best 23 players out of CR, Honduras, ES, Guatemala, Panama (and Nicaragua and Belize for arguments sake), would combine into this one team.

It'll never happen though :(

5. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Only three CONCACAF nations can host a world cup any time soon. USA, Canada, Mexico. They are the only ones with a large enough market, infrastructure, and expenditure to support a world cup. Quite frankly, I don't see Canada hosting anytime soon given the lack of history. The only reason South Africa got a bid for 2010 is because they're the only african nation capable of hosting one. I also don't think Mexico will host a third before the US gets a second. Which actually doesn't bother me because a world cup in the US is basically a free world cup for Mexico haha.

6. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What if USA/Mexico did a joint bid?

7. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Horrible idea IMO. Both US and Mexico are large nations which could host a WC in their own right. Also both have already hosted previously.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Joint bid wouldn't be good. We are probably getting one of the next few World Cup's anyway on our own bid. Joint bid won't get us a WC any sooner.

9. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharing is caring.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don't need to share. That's for nations that wouldn't get the WC on their own.

11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sooooooo Central America? ;)

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I just don't see that happening. Think USA, Canada and Mexico are the only real candidates from North America to host a World Cup in the near future. I actually think Canada's going to get a World Cup in the next 20-30 years.

13. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah I'm dreaming if CA had a WC. As I mentioned above:

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That CA combined team could be pretty good. They'd certainly have the talent to at least get out of their group. What do you think a CA combined best XI would look like?

15. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Being as realistic as possible, Central America does not have the infrastructure, market, or funds to support a WC anytime within the next 50 years. The only two decent economies in the region, Costa Rica and Panama, have a combined population of 8 million.

16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sheesh that's hard haha well it'll definitely consist mostly of Costa Ricans and Hondurans, with a few players from Guate, ES and Panama.

But as we saw in the WC; CR went a long way on their own. Honduras was awful :/

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This would be my best guess. Considered players from Guatemala, El Salvador and Panama, but really didn't see a spot in the best XI for players from those countries.

GK: Keylor Navas
    RB: Christian Gamboa
    CB: Giancarlo Gonzalez
    CB: Maynor Figueroa
    LB: Emilio Izaguirre
    DM: Yeltsin Tejeda
    DM: Roger Espinoza
    RM: Andy Najar
    LM: Bryan Oviedo
    AM: Bryan Ruiz
    CF: Joel Campbell

La Trucha repped this.
  18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar will host a World Cup and Wikipedia says Qatar has 2,155,446 people.
    How many stadiums in Central America can hold at least 20,000 people? How many people can the largest stadium in Central America hold?

19. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Central America also doesn't have the money to bribe FIFA to give them a World Cup despite logistical issues.

The largest stadium in Central America is the Estadio Cuscatlán in El Salvador with a capacity of 53,000. I don't know how many 20k capacity stadiums there are, but Wikipedia lists 7 stadiums with a capacity of 30k or more.

20. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    You can't compare the economies of Qatar and Central America. Qatar is loaded with oil money spread among an extremely small number of citizens overruling a quasi-slavery work structure. Qatar also has infrastructures. There isn't even an actually expressway connecting the capitals of Central America. To give you an example, the distance between Guatemala City and San Salvador is only 230km (140mi for u gringos) and yet the drive time is 4hours! Thats unheard of even in Mexico.