Lonestar

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Alejo, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well Violet your statement is "exactly what I ment when I said it might backfire, maybe I made a poor choice of words, it has happened before. :D. Anyway another qualm I have is if all of the hardcore is spread out then we won't be able to sing lonestar, or whatever anthem we choose getting this thread back on track or at least trying , as loudly or as effectively then if we were all togethor now. All togethor now. ;)

2. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh Violet, forgot to mention that as far as numbers go John, Mike, and their associates say that they have gathered around 30 hardcore or so, just something to consider.

3. RoteHerr

RoteHerr New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, can you addition an audio clip of the song. The words look good. Thanks

Roteherr, fanatico de futbol

4. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well there's one here on this thread if you pull back to the beggining. but I'm not soo sure what you mean by "audition". Are there gonna be auditions, held by the Aztex FO, for an anthem or somethin of the like?

5. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life…a struggle that’s not yet ended
    Everyday we just live the beginning
    A new beginning to heart ache and pain
    And a star is the closest thing to washing the tears away
    It brings us light at night and a sparkle to our eyes
    A joy to our heart and a wonderful smile
    When the star goes out at night here comes the pain
    It stays in my heart until the star comes to make it fade away
    I have a star that’s out at day a beautiful star that brightens my day.

Just to continue with this being the hope for the future/Lonestar thread. Beautiful, this poem nearlly made me cry by the fourth line.

6. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Anthem Thread

well yes I am ressurecting this thread and now consider it "The Anthem thread". I have just been doing some thinking and lads allow me to put this question forward to you.

When you think of Texas, particularly the Austin area, who is the first musical group/artist that comes to your mind either past or pressent. We'll go from there methinks.:D

7. RoteHerr

RoteHerr New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1981, the Lotions, singing their famous rendition of "Ninety-Six Tears" at Liberty Lunch at 11:00 pm in 102F degrees. Quote of the night: (granted this was the Heatwave of '81), "It's 11:00 pm, Austin, Texas and it's cooled down to a mellow 102; Let's party."

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hell, I'll contribute mine. But I seriously doubt it's going to help in making an anthem.

The band that I first think of when I think of Austin is Glass Eye.

They have a song that I love the hell out of that might be appropriate for LSD to stake a claim to: "I Don't Need Drugs to be F*cked Up."

Anyway, that's mine.

9. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like Lonestar. Easy to sing, easy lyrics. Texan artist.

10. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well hell so do I, it's just that after going to a few matches with nobody being interested in at least giving it a try i wanted to "broden" the horizon a little bit i guess.

11. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's going to sing/chant anything more complicated than "Let's go, Aztex" unless it's practiced ahead of time. That's all it comes down to.

If people don't meet and sing the songs at the pub or someone's house or the local karaoke place, it's not going to happen. I'd say find a karaoke place that does private rooms, like the one at Lamar and Justin in that little Korean shopping center and hopefully they have the song. If not, bring the lyrics and practice anyway.

BTW, the place is bring your own alcohol, so that's a plus.

12. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this on another forum, but felt compelled to repeat here. Singing during the entire match is not something that many folks outside of Sao Paolo or Rio do. Songs are periodic. However, the songs have to be simple and easy to pick up. I joke, sort of, but if it's more than 3 lines, and doesn't follow a well known melody, then you're not going to get folks singing. Don't take it personally. Everyone celebrates a bit differently. Personally, it's very uncomfortable to sing (not to mention for those around me), so I yell.

13. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're exactly right. And I wouldn't everyone to feel compelled to do something they find uncomfortable. I mean, we want people to enjoy supporting the club, right? But, I think for those who want to sing...and as you said, likely not for the whole match...I think a practice is in order.

14. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We're going to meet at the stadium at 7:00 to march in, how about a quick "sing song" then while we're waiting for folks?

15. RoteHerr

RoteHerr New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, we should keep the songs sweet and simple with lots of drumming and yelling in between. I like the fact that North American soccer has a new world latin drumming rhythm to it. A few songs are great, but we should leave the constant singing to the Brits, Germans and Dutch.
    John Bayreaux bought a set of drums (I think 5) he's bringing to the Crew match.

I would love for our supporters to develop a stadium yell (one side answering the other)something like, east side: "AZTEX", west side: "NATION"

Up the RAW! Up the RAW! Weird City till I die!

Miguel (de la bandera Azteca)

16. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When I think of Austin i think of the band ...Trail of Dead from Austin.(...and you will know us by the trail of dead) is the full band name.

So here's my pitch for an anthem or song: It called "The Rest Will Follow"

I think the hook is cool. but thats just me.

Here are the lyrics:

How can anyone be so unkind
    As to want to take another's piece of mind?
    Is acceptance so implausible?
    Well I know how the best will fall
    And the rest will follow.

It's important to recognize
    In this world we live there is nothing worth dying
    It's enough to say "hello", we're all human
    But I know how the best will fall
    And the rest will follow

Is it so easy to resign
    To ruin this world for everyone?
    I guess when it's all said and done
    It's just something in our design.

We are all of us so capable of
    The greatest acts of hate and the worst acts of love
    I wonder sometimes what's the matter with us all
    And I know how the best will fall
    And the rest will follow...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHkf2H43Rak"]YouTube - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - The Rest Will Follow[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Iu-af5QMU"]YouTube - Trail Of Dead - The Rest Will Follow (David Letterman Show)[/ame]

17. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's right in my wheelhouse; in fact, I just added them to Pandora. Thanks for the rec. :)

I quite like the song myself, especially the drums (surprise surprise). I think you're generally still gonna have the problem that just not many people will be familiar with the song, but it increasingly seems like that's going to be the case with every suggestion. So that means either practicing as a group beforehand or perhaps just singing the hook over and over?

And I've neglected to respond to mgray's email, which I will do, but also put this out here: I think this should lean us more towards tailgating before games (assuming agreeable weather, unlike this weekend). There's only so much singing and drumming a restaurant/bar is going to put up with.

18. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know somethin, I like you bro and daaaamn five drums :eek::cool: CONYO!!

La bandera Azteca sounds pretty good, but how about La Bateria Azteca, at least till we get some brass to go with our precussions.

19. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would stray away from "Bateria." Don't you think it sounds similar like Battery(charleston)? Just a thought.

Yeah. I just posted the "Rest Will Follow" tune for the sake of it, just to see if it caught anyones attention. Time will tell what the game atmosphere will develope into and what we choose to sing or chant.

I would just hope for some "organized" support down the line as opposed to scattered "yahoos" & "let's go's."

I don't think singing throughout the game is "european" at all. I mean the Japanese do the exact same thing at their pro baseball games and no one is calling them european wannabees. I just don't want to cancel out singing at games because we "think" singing is something that only europeans do. We are not european, and we all know that.

Of course we should have our own "style", and it should be done with a mix of songs, drums, chants, & etc.

Okay, I am way too into thinking about this. I need to stop. I'm beginning to feel pathetic.

One more thing. How can we make "lonestar" not so gay? I'm not attacking it. It's a cool song, but I feel a bit feminine when singing it.

20. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know we will probably never get around to singing anything. but im just in the idea sharing mood.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqowmHgxVJQ"]YouTube - The Big Rock Candy Mountain[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1xSYyMDaq4"]YouTube - Marty Robbins Sings 'Ghost Riders In The Sky.'[/ame]

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well huh, La Bateria es espanol y Protuguese it litterally means drum core, or something along those lines I beleive.

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man and I thought I was critical of my peers, jeez. FC, show up on Sat. and introduce yourself to me and by god we, at least you and I ;), will sing something. Till then, heres somethin ta calm ya down, just call me Hunter S. senor Gonzo. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BIMsIGQCY&feature=related"]YouTube - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- Gonzo in the Tub[/ame]

23. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is saying that we don't want to be European, or Brazilian, or Japanese. If you look at many of the clubs that have good singing traditions in the crowds, many have been around for dozens of years. They built up to it, have had years to determine what is the right songs for them to sing, so that doing so is almost second nature.

We've been around for just under a year (I count the first PDL match as day 1), and have been organized even less time. We're still in the stage of finding the right songs. I believe we found a couple of good ones last Saturday in the songs to sing after a score, and some of the chants. We just need to add a couple of more simply ones (as I keep saying 3 lines or less), get comfortable with those and expand. If we try to do the longer ones now, without practice, in a disjointed or uncomfortable presentation, you'll never get the crowd to join. Get the crowd engaged with things they can pick up quickly. Example, there were at least 6 folks who joined us last Saturday. Not singing, but playing the drums and blowing stadiums horns. Why, because it was easy and allowed them to show their support.

However, there will always be folks who will sing, some who won't, and some who will on occassion depending on their comfort level. Just like there are some who will learn the stats of every player, who will arrange gatherings, recruit new members or make flags and banners.

I like the idea of the practice. I would encourage the group to find 3-4 songs that can be practiced. Lonestar sounds like the long one to learn, then pick up 2-3 additional easy ones. Identify when we sing (marching in, when players come on or off the pitch, when a goal is scored, when an official makes a bad call) so that there is synchronization amongst the group.

In the end though, understand that the best principle is the K.I.S.S. principle when it comes to the songs.

24. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spot on. This has been discussed for about a year now, and last weekend was the first time I really felt like there was a group that could actually produce coordinated noise.

That's great, and very exciting, really, but, dudes, we are SO far away from singing a group ballad. I heartily second the "three or four 3-line or less" plan. To that end, here's a repost of a bunch of ideas folks had last season, starting with simple "stomp" rhythms (I guess we've now graduated to drum beats, and I think y'all may have actually done some of these last week), and then about 10 chants, to various popular tunes.

I think if the group could master any three or four of the chants (or others similar), and perform them, convincingly, at appropriate times in the game, that would be a huge next step -- for us, and for general fan appeal.

--------------
    As promised, here’s a compilation of song and chant ideas (mostly already posted previously). Not overly inspired, but, as RW points out, if we have a core group of people doing something, we can probably get the crowd to join in.
    ---------------

We should take advantage of the metal bleachers; the crowd seemed to like stomping on them.

2 or 3 people doing these together could probably get the crowd to pick it up:

stomp stomp stomp stomp
    “Austin!”

stomp stomp stomp, “Aztex!”

stomp
    stomp
    stomp stomp stomp
    stomp stomp stomp stomp
    “Aztex!”

alternately,
    stomp stomp stomp, “Austin!”,
    stomp stomp stomp, “Austin!”, etc

A somewhat more original idea: when we’re about to take a free kick or goal kick, a stomp in unison with a 1 second pause, picking up pace as it progresses...
    Here’s another variation, sounding kind of like the “Let’s Go Aztex.” But I like “we are” better:

“We Are Aztex.”
    stomp
    stomp
    stomp stomp stomp
    “We Are Aztex.”
    stomp
    stomp
    stomp stomp stomp

“We Are”
    stomp stomp
    “Az-Tex”
    stomp stomp
    “We Are”
    stomp stomp
    “Az-Tex”
    stomp stomp

These might be a harder, but maybe after a few tries others in the crowd would pick them up:

“We love you Aztex, oh yes we do.
    We love you Aztex, and we’ll be true.
    We love you Aztex, we do!
    Oh, Aztex, we love you!”

Roll Out the Aztex,
    We’ll have a barrel of fun,
    Roll Out the Aztex,
    We’ve got them all on the run
    Just one more goal now
    Then how we all will cheer
    1-2-3-4-5-6-7, and the gang’s all here.

You are my Aztex, my only Aztex,
    You make me happy, when skies are grey...
    You’ll never know, dear
    How much we love you
    Please don’t take
    My Aztex away.

PLUS, some short takes, and one-liners:

Miguel Gallardo’s in the goal! Hallelujah! (to “Michael Row your boat Ashore”)

(To the tune of “Guantanamera”):
    “One AJ Godbolt! There’s only one AJ Godbolt!” (insert whatever player you like with the appropriate number of syllables)

(to the tune of Santa Lucia):
    Miguel Gallardo, Miguel Gallardo.
    Miguel Gallardo, Mi-guel Gallardo!
    (apologies to West Ham’s Paolo DiCanio)

Something to “Yellow Submarine.”

One-oh, Az-tex, it’s one-oh Aztex
    (to the tune of Yo, yo, heave ho)

Allez, allez allez allez, allez, Aztex.

(to the tune of “Speed Racer”)
    Austin Aztex. Austin Aztex. Austin Aztex, Go!

Who’s the bastard in black (or whatever color the ref’s wearing)!? or You Don't Know What You're Doing, or The (color) team sucks! are good anti-ref chants.

(to the tune of “Off to see the Wizard”):
    We’re off to the U.S. Open, and you’re going home.

25. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Er... that said, I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss the Columbus game Saturday, so, um, carry on. See you in April.