London on Alert - "attack" outside Parliament

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Mar 22, 2017.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno, but a lot of people seem to approve of this sort of ambulance chasing. Even if it makes no sense, plus it's damned insensitive.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, clearly he's referring to the US travel ban of people coming to the US from Britain, (which doesn't exist). Either that or the ban on people moving in between Kent, Birmingham and London, (which also doesn't exist).

One of those... or both of them :)

sitruc repped this.
  3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's a racist piece of shit.

Thezzaruz and jmartin1966 repped this.
  4. hi!!

hi!! Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Enoch Powell was right.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another interesting aspect of this is that, presumably, the guy wanted to kill British people. But, if we see the nationalities of the people hurt in the attack in the car, they come from all OVER the place.

In fact one could almost say that, if he did want to kill British people, he'd have been better off staying in Birmingham.

Also the chances of him getting inside the palace of westminster were slim to non-existent so any possibility of harming parliament, as an institution were never likely to be realised.

6. hi!!

hi!! Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Well no - killing British people= people who look British=White people. If they look British it doesnt really matter if they really originates from France.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to kill British people, then attacking a major international tourist attraction is a bad way to do it, because you'll get people from all over. On the other hand, if you want to kill a lot of people, then it's a better target.

Apparently the attacker got a bit lucky to get as far as he did, due to a vote being in progress as the attack happened, certain gates were open that wouldn't usually be.

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About?

And how is it relevant to this attack? The attacker was born in Kent 52 years ago.

jmartin1966 repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, funny you should say that because they were talking about that on the TV earlier today. In truth it was something of a two-edged sword for him.

The fact that there was a division bell at the time, (a vote IOW), means the gate was open but, strictly speaking, he didn't drive through an open gate, he smashed his car into the railings outside which stopped the car on the spot.

But also, (and maybe more to the point), he immediately ran straight into the armed protection officer of Michael Fallon, the defence secretary, who shot him. In fact the guy was only 20 yards inside the front gate of the palace of westminster estate when he was killed having left his car dozens of cars away.

MasterShake29 repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, strictly speaking Powell was speaking back in the 60's I suppose but it's a pretty spectacularly stupid observation that we shouldn't have let somebody's father come here 50+ years as otherwise his son might grow up to become a terrorist who might drive a car and run people over and then stab someone else.

I mean, presumably we shouldn't have let people from Slovakia come here in the 18th century because, otherwise, their great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren might become loonies who run people over in a white van, (a device that hadn't been invented yet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22789299

Y'see, that's the kind of forward planning we need our politicians to be employing, isn't it :)

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Brother, is it not bedtime?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've just watched the end of BBC This Week on the PVR.

I'm retired now, don't forget ;)

13. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    So Trump's surrogates using this to justify the ban, even though it wouldn't have prevented the British born Adrian Elms from entering the US.

14. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    that's the answer

15. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    People like Farage speak for those that have allowed themselves to become terrified of everyone that doesn't look like them.

Sadly there are enough sheep that follow the word of Farage, Banks etc that will take their word on who they announced did this before it turned out to be Adrian from Kent that was responsible.

Listened to a good radio debate yesterday on why there seems to be so many people these days who just want to point the finger when something goes wrong and demand ridiculous things. The general consensus seemed to be around how comfortable people are debating complex issues and trying to find solutions to that, and sadly some people are left very uncomfortable with it so instead only want to consider it a simple problem with a simple solution.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Mental illness.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The guy seems to have had various names over the years. Adrian Ajao seem to have been the one used for most of his youth...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...don-terror-attacker-adrian-ajao-a3498491.html

The guy was basically just a petty thug who was described as 'bad news' by some people that knew him but was also apparently a clever guy who was popular with girls in his youth.

Looking at the information as it becomes available you can see why he wasn't high on the authorities 'watch list'.

Yes, he'd converted to Islam but then, so do a lot of people.

19. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, I don't think this shooting was motivated by religion. Just skimming over the stories it seems this is a mentally unstable individual and there was some domestic incident which triggered him.

20. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Oops I may have responded to the wrong post. My post was referring to the Wisconsin shooting, not the terror attack in London.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't read the report of the incident you're talking about but let's not be silly about this... there IS Islamic terrorism whilst most of the Christian 'attacks', (if they can be called that), on Muslim countries can't sensibly be described in the same way.

Let's not substitute memes for reality here fellas.
    And, again, (as I've already mentioned), this guy obviously WAS mentally ill, as was the fella in south Wales... BUT a factor in this guy's illness was his belief in a warped version of Islam. We can't just wish reality away.

Islam IS a factor in this stuff, as was Catholicism and Irish nationalism in the actions of the IRA.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just for future reference, (coz I know it confused me at first), the 'edit' facility is on the 'Tools' button.

sitruc and VincitOmniaVeritas repped this.
  23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha.

24. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't refer to attacks on Muslim countries. Meanwhile, I can't speak to the UK; but there absolutely has been terrorism in the U.S. that was heavily motivated by the perpetrators' interpretations of Christianity. Those killed or maimed by the Army of God can certainly attest to that. And the biggest terrorist act in U.S. history after 9/11/2001 was performed by a man guided in part by his belief in the Christian Identity movement.

25. hi!!

hi!! Member

Apr 18, 2007
    The fact he was born there makes it worse. It just proves that Enoch Powell was right even more.