London 2012: Men's Olympic Football Tournament [R for ALL results]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by puertorricane, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who wins olympic gold in football

1. Brasil

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Great Britain

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Egypt

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Mexico

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  5. Spain

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Switzerland

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Uruguay

8 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Japan

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Korea Republic

9 vote(s)
    7.2%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. intoronto1125

intoronto1125 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Asia and Africa got .5 extra due to Europe not being awarded an extra spot due gb being host

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The general problem is that the best young players sometimes are unable to go to the Olympics, simply because the clubs aren't obliged to let them. In the end most teams are "B"-ish, except for Brazil / Argentina, who lately have managed to cope with this.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It will be interesting to see whether there will be a better turnout rate in an Olympics hosted by a country with the league owning a lot of the good players. The domestic leagiues of Greece, China, Australia and the US are not amont the top leagues in the world and their clubs do not own the players involved.

4. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I couldn't believe how bad Australia wa in Olympic qualifying, they got about all the players they wanted. UAE qualifying was a massive surprise as well.

does Asia and Africa getting the extra .5 even make sense when South America only has 2, the same as CONCACAF???

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm not sure where you got this about getting all the players wanted. No European based players played in the qualifiers and there was a restriction placed on the coach about only using a maximum of 3 players from each Australian Club for the away games. Probably wouldn't have made any difference in the end (well maybe we would have got a goal in one of the matches) as all sides in Olympic Qualifiers have the same problems. On the plus side, the defence was pretty reasonable only conceding goals in two games. UAE have had some very good youth teams in recent times that are at around Olympic age now. Their results weren't a surprise to most.

6. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i was under the impression some european-based players participated in the away legs my mistake. improving talent aside, for UAE to actually go out and dominate with everything on the line, i thought was still surprising.

who's getting the direct route to the grand final, roar or mariners?

7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I go for Brisbane. I still think they have more talent.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we can count the USA out now...

:(

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yup, amazing twists and turns in the CONCACAF qualifying. Not a good night for those trying to sell tickets to the final tournament.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Realistically, I doubt it will make much difference. How many Americans would have gone and watched the US team play? Some would, but probably not in large numbers. Plus the US team is hardly a draw for UK fans, who will make up the majority of the spectators.

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Senegal - Oman playoff match in Coventry, maybe a sign of things to come for the English public, will they get out in force or forever be submerged in the PL goldfish bowl rather than watch different styles of football? English football fans are english football fans, they aren't football fans.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    How have the crowds been during the Asian qualifying tournament?

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Depends who your watching, the final playoff round hosted in Vietnam was 1000 - 1200 - if can be believed.

Oman had decent crowds - 5000 to 10000. Japan and Korea also exceptional. Australia rather pitiful at 2,000 mark. Malaysia 30,000 mark. ll depends which team, and the expectations and the side in general. Malaysia for example, you will always see thousands for the national team at any age but no one for domestic games. Australia on the other hand, not many turn up for youth teams. But i get the feeling, not many turn up in Australia for youth teams but ex-pat Aussies would turn up in force to see them abroad, Not happening though.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    to be frank, is there anywhere in the world where a Senegal v Oman match would draw a decent crowd?

The problem with Olympic football isn't so much the limited appeal of some of the teams involved (although it doesn't help) but more the low regard Olympic football is held in generally in the UK.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm pretty sure France, Spain, Italy would pull in a decent crowd, mainly due to the amount of Senegalese immigrants.

16. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That doesn't really point to a mass of interest among the public though, does it? Jamaica gets decent crowds in England for friendlies, after all, just the same.

17. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    What are we calling a decent crowd? Coventry average about 15000 for their home games. How many do we expect to turn up for a midweek qualifying match?

I considered it, but there's no late train to get me back home the same day, and it's not worth staying over. I will be going to some of the finals games though.

18. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Same. I imagine about 4,000 will go to Coventry. The late kickoff is a problem.

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    A crowd is a crowd. Does it matter whether or not it consists 100% of Jamaicans or not?

20. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not to me, but it wasn't me moaning about the low expected crowd for Senegal v Oman.

21. RIVELINO_619

RIVELINO_619 New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    San Diego/Tijuana
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    After watching the Mexico - Canada game, I cannot comprehend how in the heck the US lost to them, Canada looked so very limited, its true vs the US, it was a different kind of game, Canada beat the US in the same style the US implements, a physical, long ball, sort of cagey affair, but even still, I cannot believe, after what Canada displayed against Mexico, that it was enough to beat a US team that on paper, is way better, or is it? I'm just baffled at the moment.

22. colombia10

colombia10 Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Best Team that didn't qualify: Colombia.

More than half their starting team are under 23 and the other players who are under 23 are better than the starters.

Yet South American Qualifiers were based on a sub-20 tournament Colombia didn't even play in because they were already qualified to the Sub 20 world cup :rolleyes:.

GG CONMEBOL

23. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Colombia played that tournament, but finished last in the final group stage:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_South_American_Youth_Championship

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What's so baffling about it? It wasn't just one match. The US tied El Salvador too, who was another team well below Mexico's level.

25. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually kind of glad the U.S. didn't make it. We are going to need some of those players against Antigua and Guatemala in World Cup qualifiers, and they would be occupied by the Olympics camp instead if they had won. Its a lame tournament anyway. Many top teams aren't going to be there. The U.S. is going to win plenty of medals regardless. And there is a brewing firestorm over callups due to the Olympics being left off the official match calendar.

http://espn.go.com/sports/conversations/_/id/7764755/fifa-insists-enforce-olympic-games-release-rule

This won't be the last you hear about that, the tension between the clubs and FIFA is at an all-time high right now. The ECA is itching to pick a fight with FIFA this summer, and the Olympics are going to be the catalyst for it. Not only are many top teams not here, but it wouldn't shock me if lots of Spanish and Brazilian players get refused callups. The Bundesliga clubs in particular seem especially belligerent, and since Germany was eliminated a long time ago there was no potential U-23 qualifier more threatened by the Bundesliga than the United States. Now the Japan and Switzerland U-23s can enjoy that nightmare all to themselves.