Logo reaction thread

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by pc4th, Jun 12, 2010.

1. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it makes sense now. All this time the public outcry from the TA has been because of Mississippi designing it. I thought it was because of the cartoony look, my bad.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I'm not voting until there is a place to vote "meh." :D For the record, I like the old one better as well. Who knows, if people ask for their season ticket deposits back, they might change their minds. Something to think about...

3. blackedoutfriction

Jan 10, 2009
    Portland
    Derp. The team is supported. That is never a question. The FO can be questioned and should be questioned.

4. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly have no idea what I'm saying so I'll just stop.

5. Left Coast

Left Coast Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle
    Probably another fan who wishes their team's supporters cared half as much as Portland's.

6. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, help me understand; I hate people who take the "holier than thou" approach when refusing to explain something. Is it city pride? I guess I've never been attached to one town that long, seeing as I've never lived in the same one for more than 10 years. That may be why it's hard for me to see how outsourcing something like this would be a big deal.
    Is this directed at me? If so I don't have a team.:(

7. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    The point is that Portland is renowned for design and for localism, and yet Paulson for some reason went with a firm in a completely different part of the country. If they had done a good job, I doubt anyone would be complaining.

8. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha. reading this thread i just realized.

portland will now be the douchiest team in the league

why?

b/c they have the most pretentious, narcissistic fans!

and i used to really like portland, but that was when i could only see your fans on youtube, not read what you have to say on b.s.

9. wizardswarrior

May 1, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sounds like a pot-stirring Seattlite to me.

10. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Somehow the Timbers Army will try to soldier on, pointless though it may be without joe's support.

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I hate the axe on the Timbers crest. I hate the chain saw at Timbers games, too. I completely understand logging's significance to the economy and history of Oregon but I don't like it. I don't like celebrating the chopping down of trees. But that's a completely personal issue.

That said, to the eyes of an outsider, the new logo isn't all that much different from the old one and it's really not all that bad. It's not great but then the old one wasn't great, either.

For the record, the Philadelphia Union crest is, at best, second best in the league. It is far better than Portland's or Seattle's, though.

Honestly, though, the logo doesn't really matter. I'm still going to buy season tickets and I'll probably buy some merch. I imagine that there are thousands of potential fans out there like me who really do not understand why people are so exercised about the logo.

12. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Which is why you are a fan and not a supporter. There's nothing wrong with that but there is a clear difference between the two.

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. I used to kind of like the Sounders until I started reading the Sounders forum here. Now, what with the coming of MLS to Portland and the uber-douchy Seattle fans, I hate them. Not as much as I hate the Galaxy or the Red Bulls but I hate nonetheless.

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you talking to?

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was talking to you, you said "fans like me" I don't know what that is honestly supposed to mean either. You're probably more ultra than anybody on this board... am I right??? AM I RIGHT???

16. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    LOL, yeah fearsome Ultras that will eat you alive.

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said "potential fans" like me.

I would like for him to explain what the difference is, in his eyes, between a fan and a supporter. In my opinion, I'm more of a supporter than I am a fan because I am buying season tickets (I paid a deposit today) and I have bought merchandise and plan to buy more. I will go to games and cheer for the Timbers and generally wish them well but my heart belongs first and foremost to DC United and always will.

18. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    IMHO, a supporter lives and dies with their team, they do not have spilt loyalties. You don't 'love the one your with'. You feel dirty wearing another's team's colors. You weigh the purchase of a product that sponsor's your rival against how that may in some way help the enemy team. You have a tattoo of crest of your team or the number of your favorite player or year they won the championship. You rush home from the stadium to watch a recording of the game because you missed most of the actual play while standing and singing. There is a level of commitment outside the stands and pocketbook.

You I would classify you as a fan, not a knock, or a slam by any means! Nothing wrong with that at all! 90% of the people who fill a stadium are fans. I myself bounce between the fan and supporter! Just as important as the supporter, but a different creature all together. You don't feel they let the team down because the spouse is making them go their sister's wedding or something so they will not be there for the game. You have a west coast team and east coast team.

19. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a supporter is just a huge nerd that likes soccer? Gotcha.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    No, those are called Sounders fans. ;) :p

21. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Pretty much. :)

22. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no they are flounder customers....

23. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's semantics, really, and I'm not offended. You could be describing the way I used to be about DC United. For years as the teams fortunes went, so did a large piece of my happiness with life in general. To a certain extent it wasn't healthy, especially during the dark years from 2000 through 2003.

Moving out of town has helped me get over the worst of the obsession. Watching games on TV is just not even remotely the same experience as being at the game.

Anyway, if the Timbers were an Eastern Conference team I couldn't support it at all but as it stands I can be one with Timbers fans when it comes to things like hating Seattle. And the Galaxy. I hate them more than anyone.

24. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Columbia City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes, yes, yes, your pumpkin patch is VERY sincere. Any day now the Great Pumpkin will come and deliver you a trophy... yup aaannny day now... got a really clean and empty trophy case just waiting for it... really sincere patch you got right there ...:)

25. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upside down tifo....