Logo reaction thread

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by pc4th, Jun 12, 2010.

1. TominBallard

TominBallard Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would have liked to have seen an updated Timbers logo sort of like what the Seattle Seahawks did (minus the color changes and something angry looking, just updated very slightly)...At first I liked the new logo but after I had time to digest it, I really don't.

Is there any hope to get rid of this new logo? The New York Islander fans HATED that fisherman logo and they eventually went back to their old one...

I understand your frustration Timbers fans, I hope that this error is made right with a proper, updated design of your classic logo.

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  3. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Yikes!!!

EDIT: I will give you this, at least Portland didn't add "FC" to their name. Portland Timbers is uniquely American . . .unfortunately, so is that aweful logo.

4. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They went a little overboard on the USA part of Soccer City USA don't you think?

ouch...

5. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RARE Design sucks.....the ripcity stuff stinks as does all their other stuff....they must have been the lowest bidder that is the only reason i could see the FO using them...

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzNpJid71Jo"]YouTube- PORTLAND TIMBERS CREST - The Choice Is Yours.wmv[/ame]

7. B to the Bop

B to the Bop New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Baltimore, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic! I really hope you guys can get that logo trashed and get yourselves a proper badge. While I understand that the usl/ussf d2 badge has to be updated, all it really needs is some detail work and it will be the best in the league. Except for United's of course ;)

8. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few of those are ugly as sin. And I'm not even referring to the new Timbers logo. Just because a club has been stubbornly using the same crest for ages doesn't mean its awesome.

9. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. scott topic

scott topic Member

May 8, 2009
    State College, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd consider myself a neutral outsider on this issue and personally i don't think it's that bad. i think it looks especially tolerable in actual patch form.

that being said, i understand that from a long-time fan's perspective the change is most unacceptable, and in the end it's you guys that they should be catering to here.

11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    says the fan of a team that got their crest nearly perfect. i had an image of all of the crest of major european teams along with the Union, Caps and Timbers old/new logos and the Union crest fit perfectly and seamlessly with the great crests of the world.

i still say the first thing i would have done if i were MP and the FO of the Timbers is call the Union and ask for the number to their designer. i can only imagine if the same designer had take the old crest and "modernized" it in a style similar to the Union crest what sort of really nice crest would have resulted.

look at the Timbers LOGO side by side with your Union crest and you can see why the new Timbers logo is such an affront.

12. Timbers_Navy

Timbers_Navy New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Portland
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The new White Caps logo is not bad, it's much more modern and classy than the current one that looks like RARE may have done it. We realize this guy collaborated on the current Denver Broncos logo and the OREGON O while at NIKE, he has clout in town and at NIKE

Not to say I told people so, but I was bringing this up a month or so ago and got banned from the Timbers FB page for it!!! I don't trust MP as far as I can throw him, and what he was telling people about the transition to MLS and where the team was headed did not make not only financial sense but sense it the way Philip Anschutz creates teams and brands... TA folks and others said they had assurances, it was known that the logo would not change to the degree it has, "As this relates to logo/colors etc: simply expect evolution, not wholesale change. We will not get this wrong. Trust me."

Merritt Paulson

haha what's next?

My next guess the TA gets some competition as an Official Supporters group is named and it won't be the ARMY... Like the new AX society ticket holder club.
    Loved the chant " you can't fake this" from the TA directed at MP in his luxury box in the 35th min. And the fact that beyond the TA there were maybe 150 people at that game, I was one of the 150!

Caps new logo, and honesty about it's change, an awesome remodel of a classic grass stadium, and assurances from owners they will compete immediately have resulted in over 10,000 season tickets sold already for the Caps. After this step in bear sh*t wonder where Timbers are?

That's what counts!!! Kill their ticket sales and you'll kill the logo, guilt by association.
    At the US cup game Tuesday no one was buying new merch, people wanted the "real" logo! Funny!

TA if you really want to make a mark boycott sect 107 and watch the game for free on 18th one night... that will make a mark no one will be able to ignore!

Then maybe we can work on why these guys play on shi**y turf... Because of course he won't mess up the logo, you had assurances, but now you can "shove it up your As*!" And he can't put grass down why?

13. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Some of them are ugly, but it's mostly the ones that have been changed drastically recently (Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa), not the ones that have been pretty constant for decades. Even the ones I listed are better than New Timberzzz and Vancouver Whitecaps LLC, though.

Here's my favorite badge in football, BTW:

[​IMG]

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shit, even NBA teams are starting to get it right:

[​IMG]

15. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't like the crest AT ALL, I believe it is absolute HORSESHIT when people say it looks like an NBA or NHL logo. Bull ********ing shit. It looks NOTHING like those logos, but it also doesn't really fit in anywhere else. Why? Because it's pretty ********ing bad. Not just as a soccer logo, but as a logo in general, it's just a bad logo, shitty. I mean it's not like SHIT worthy awful, but it's bad, plain and simple.

Actually looking at ALL of those logos, on both group sets it looks closest to the Detroit Pistons, but that particular logo is a goddamn classic.

First to post the number of expletives I used correctly wins +rep.

16. Sleep Mode

Sleep Mode Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new logo is pretty close, in my opinion. It's cartoonish and the axe is all kinds of f*cked up, but it has all of the elements. With some small adjustments it would be just fine.

I wish I had photoshop on this computer so I could mess with it, but some of the things that could be easily corrected to cut down on the cartoonishness are:

-eliminate the shading on the axe.

-eliminate the lines that taper (as in on the blades of the axe) they are intended to make the logo more dynamic, but they need to be less so. Some of the lines are fine, but they need to be one single, consistent line weight throughout instead of forming these goofy little wedge shapes.

-The font could be a little more serious. That's an amateur typeface.

-The tree/mountain/chevron thing is what bothers me the most. Instead of having the lines bend inwards into some kind of M.C. Escher impossible triangle thing, just let them be flat, a uniform line weight in the back behind the axe like in the old logo.

Anyways, the new logo kinda sucks but honestly the world is filled with teams that are stuck with their boring-ass, ill-designed crests that they must keep because they are old and traditional. This includes Barcelona, Manchester, Palmeiras, Milan, etc. etc. etc.

you don't want to be like them.

17. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7 if you count ********ing

18. Timbers_Navy

Timbers_Navy New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Portland
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five...
    And I've decided to make my own patches to cover their kit badge, like the Puma African Unification jersey.

An extra 25 bucks is just fine to have a logo I like.
    When I root I root for the Timbers, except the FOE (Fu***ng Oblivious Executives)

19. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. I don't see where it looks like the traditional sports logos. To me it just looks like a shitty football crest with a cartoon axe and wings. But yeah, definitely not as bad as 90% of the NHL/NBA logos.

But you know what really gets me? What really digs at the core of me? The fact that they went to a designer firm in Mississippi. We live in ****ing Portland... PORTLAND OREGON. For shits sake, is there another city with as many designers/square mile as Portland?

We could have easily gotten somebody from Portland who really understood the city and then, at the very least, even if the thing blew we could all say... well at least it was our shitty designers that designed it, and things would go a lot smoother. Hell, we'd probably be proud of the effing thing.

But no, we farmed it out to Mississippi a state/area that has no professional soccer team, and probably doesn't understand the sport, let alone the city.

I don't care for the new logo, and I definitely prefer the old crest, but this whole thing just stinks because of this fact.

And you know what's wierd? The crest on the new scarves actually aint that bad. Why the hell can't we at least use that one?

20. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mississippi had a pretty big youth tourney back in the day.

And you're telling me if a designer in Portland coughed up the exact same logo you'd be proud of it?:confused: Makes sense.

21. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha. you KNOW that if a local guy messed up our crest that we would have PROMPTLY shit in his mouth like Gavin shat in the mouth of the linesman last night.

22. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because at least then some money would be flowing into our economy and our city. At least then the FO would have some legitimacy in this matter.

I'm proud of my city, as are a lot of Portlanders. Having something like this done at home would easily have been more palatable.

Hell, this Mississippi firm could have given us a truly awe inspiring crest, one that was the best in the world, and I'd still feel like it should've been done by a Portland designer. That's the way it should be.

23. leftcoastkicks

Aug 20, 2009
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Damn straight, thata boy! 'Tis a great city you've got down the way. Think globally (respect the game), act, (and design) and step up locally!