Lockhart Stadium

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by leca, Nov 9, 2003.

1. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    It's good that the Goofs from Sacremento don't have any interest. Just awful owners.

As for my baseball team (the ZerOs) tearing down Lockhart, sadly that is true. Thank our idiot owner, 'Little' Pete Angelos. He is like a virus and he is spreading. I'm sorry he is spreading to South Florida. He has ruined a once great baseball franchise and now he is tearing down Lockhart.

Sad. :mad:

2. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    One of our Haitian or Cajun soccer brethren should arrange a curse upon Angelos and anyone even removing the first piece of Lockhart.

3. Lockhart Pride

Lockhart Pride New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Unfortunately, it looks like it will be torn down. Please don't mind my butting in here, but my dad sent me this link, so I will post my message here. I am the grand-daughter of H.Y. "Doug" Lockhart, to whom Lockhart Stadium was dedicated to. I have been to this stadium several times over the past few years and have always been awed and amazed at it's beauty. It certainly had grown over time and I am so dismayed that it is going to be torn down. My grandfather died long before I was born and this is the one physical link I had to the great man he was. I am disappointed that the City of Ft. Lauderdale couldn't see past the "money" in order to continue honoring this man who once served our country, the City of Fort Lauderdale as a police officer and, later, as a City Commissioner. That venue has seen many great games in its time...

4. Lockhart Pride

Dec 11, 2006
    Re: Tearing down Lockhart?!

Sorry for butting in here, but I'm posting this wherever I can find reference to Lockhart Stadium. I am the grand-daughter of H.Y. "Doug" Lockhart, to whom Lockhart Stadium was dedicated to. I have been to this stadium several times over the past few years and have always been awed and amazed at it's beauty. It certainly has grown over time and I am so dismayed that it is going to be torn down. My grandfather died long before I was born and this is the one physical link I had to the great man he was. I am disappointed that the City of Ft. Lauderdale couldn't see past the "money" in order to continue honoring this man who once served our country, the City of Fort Lauderdale as a police officer and, later, as a City Commissioner. This stadium had a wonderful future and a fantastic history...

5. Lockhart Pride

Dec 11, 2006
    Re: LockhartSSS .. SF Strikers

My dad sent me this link, so I will post my message here. I am the grand-daughter of H.Y. "Doug" Lockhart, to whom Lockhart Stadium was dedicated to. I have been to this stadium several times over the past few years and have always been awed and amazed at it's beauty. It certainly had grown over time and I am so dismayed that it is going to be torn down. My grandfather died long before I was born and this is the one physical link I had to the great man he was. I am disappointed that the City of Ft. Lauderdale couldn't see past the "money" in order to continue honoring this man who once served our country, the City of Fort Lauderdale as a police officer and, later, as a City Commissioner. This stadium had a wonderful future and a fanstastic history...

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

You are not alone in lamenting the loss of this stadium!!

But at the very least, he will be remembered in the annals of soccer history.

Thanks so much for sharing your story w/ us!

7. SpaceAddict

SpaceAddict New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Lockhart Stadium May Be Saved!!!

It would be great to see the Miami Fusion FC and the Tampa Bay Mutiny back in MLS as expansion teams in the near future. :)

-G

9. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

Sounds like Lockhart might be back? We in Baltimore like the fact that your politicians kicked Peter G. Angelos, the Orioles owner in the *ss last night. Good for you!

Now let's get a side for your stadium. Good luck.

10. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Never give up. Keep punching. Fight to the last drop of Angelos' blood.

Keep the faith, Lockhart Pride.

11. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS had a chance to save the FUSION, I don't undestand why people still want to support that organization.

Where are the voices of objection and how are they being heard?

This is death to Lockhart and any hope for pro soccer to return to Broward County.

We need a rivalry for FC in Miami. We need Tampa, Jax and Ft. Lauderdale.
    Next year we need for Bermuda to move up from USL Division 2, we need to add Jamaica and Haiti into this fold.

This would make a fantastic regional league for the USL.

13. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact is there just aren't enough permanent residents under the age of 65 to support teams in Florida. Look at the poor numbers from the other sports in Florida, only the Heat bring people in consistently, and that's because they've been a good team as of late. When they weren't winning consistently, the arena was half-empty.

Besides, who wants to play in South Florida in July when it's 96 degrees with 98% humidity?

14. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    I'm afrain that you are right. Broward county has just been ANGELOSed. The Orioles owner has destroyed all Orioles baseball fans dreams in the years that he has run the O"s.

He's a disease on two legs and now that disease is spreading to South Florida. My "sympathys" and those of all O's fans are with you. Misery love company?? :mad:

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC apparently: www.miamifc.com

PS They just announced try-outs for 2007.

16. davideyak

davideyak New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Is there a hidden agenda here? Are the Oriels' owners keen to demolish Lockhart as part of a "scourched earth" policy to stop the progress of other sports in the area and in particular soccer. It cannot have escaped their notice that in Japan where soccer has become popular over the past few years it is rapidly overtaking baseball.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious to see what kind of "soccer field" will exist when the Orioles new park is constructed.

The pro-Orioles group keep saying that soccer events will be able to still take place at the new park. But I get the feeling they just mean soccer FIELDS will still exist, not a stadium or seating. Parents don't actually need to sit down to see their kids play, come on! :(

18. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the same impresion I got.,Soccer fields like in Cooper City, Weston, Sunrise, Coral Springs etc...where the field are used for youth soccer leagues.
    I certainly did not get the impression that is would be an SSS "Soccer Specific Stadium" for pro soccer events with a minimum seating capacity of 8K.

19. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking this too. Even if the city were to give the O's top priority and put events in the baseball stadium, it looks like the Orioles don't want to take any chances.

20. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand what the big deal is!
    If you look at soccer in America and look to the begining; it was the baseball owners the helped first intruduce organized soccer as a professional sport to the people. Granted most of the teams then were made up of workers from large factories and such that were competing against eachother.

21. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

That would mean that there is a 'method to their madness'. Something like strategic thinking going on in Baltimore. Trust me that isn't the case. It's just GREED pure and simple. That is what we Orioles fans have been living with since Angelos bought the team. He could care less about soccer and what Ft. Lauderdale wants. He doesn't plan or think strategically when it comes to things to the O's.

22. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, he couldn't care less when it comes to baseball.

23. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that he doesn't care about soccer either. So if he doesn't care about baseball or soccer; What does he care about?

24. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

25. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are made by screwing people long term and consistent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    are made by gaining the trust of those that support you.