Location of restart for Offside Offence

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Soccer Dad & Ref, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    This may have been hashed out already, so sorry for opening the wound again. With the changes to the LOTG, the restart is now supposed to be where the offence occurred. When I watch the Pros in multiple leagues, the AR's continue to hold their ground at the spot they used to in the old laws. Why aren't they moving downfield (90% or more of offences are down, a few are up) to where the player became involved in the play?

Thanks!

IASocFan repped this.
  2. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Any thoughts on this? Why does it seem that AR's aren't following the player to where they become involved in active play and raising the flag there?

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I suspect what you are seeing is diagram 4 (pg 194) of the new Laws. Under the explanations for Law 11 application, it explains

A player in an offside position (A) may be penalised before playing or touching the ball, if, in the opinion of the referee, no other team-mate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball. ​

In those cases, which are common, the AR need not wait for the actual touch, but can flag immediately. (I've always considered this as the inevitability concept--if all that can happen is OS, why wait?)

But Diagram 4 situations create a hazy issue for placement--where is the offense, really? We are, in essence, recognizing the offense as happening at the spot where it is obvious what will happen,which is pretty much where it would have been prior to the recent changes. And no one really cares much about placement of the OS FK, as the kick is from the defensive end of the field.

4. Cactus837

Cactus837 New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Mar 19, 2017
    I agree with socal lurker. I'm a strong believer in that explanation for Law 11 that he quoted. If a player is in an offside position, making a play for the ball, and no other team mate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball, then I raise my flag. At that point I consider him to be involved in active play. The players appreciate the early call and other referees seem to appreciate it as well.

5. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I think the OP is asking a different question.
    (I will use pointy ball field terminology...)
    Say at attacker is OS at the 40. The ball is played over the top. The AR waits and sees, either if the keeper will get the ball or another onside attacker will get to it first. Often, the AR is waiting at the 40, and not following play. Now, say the result is that the AR raises his flag when the play is at the 20 yard line. In most cases, this OS is given at the 40, not the 20--even though current instruction seems to indicate that the IFK should be from the 20.

This is quite common on games seen on TV.

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Of course, stopping while waiting and seeing wasn't proper even before the change in location of the FK. . . makes me think the AR may just be stopping, thinking to double check himself, and raising the flag, rather than that he is waiting for involvement.
    Old habits die hard? Current Law 11 is very clear that the FK is from the spot of interference. But as I said in the first post, no one seems to care too much about the location of those kicks in the defensive half

7. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Where are the people arguing the fine details of the drop ball restart or the keeper handling the ball over the PA? They should be arguing just as loudly that most AR's are doing it wrong and ruining the LOTG.

8. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I won't so far to say that most AR's are ruining the LOTG they are just a bit slow in implementing the guidance. I will catch myself popping the flag early and then hoping the center will wave me down. Last night I had a game where my AR pops the flag for the player in offside position but the ball is going out for a goal kick. I was not 100% certain PIOP was going to make it to the ball before it rolls out but she pulls up and the ball rolls out for a goal kick. Coach wants the offside restart instead of the goal kick. Explain that the latest clarifications and he was okay with it. Like everything else if you are consistent with your calls most people will accept and move on.

9. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Disagree. There is alot of real estate at stake in many of these occasions.
    Old habits do die hard. And it is the new ones that get the refs yelled at.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't disagree that there can be a lot of real estate--but no one seems to care that they are being taken from the wrong spot. (But you may also be right that the team taking the kick might care if pushed back.)

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have the habit of slowing down or stopping and waiting for the offense to occur before raising the flag. I'm not doing it to be lazy I'm doing it more to tell the center that hey I'm about to raise the flag so keep looking. Well then usually Shuffle down towards the corner flag and make the kick be closer to where the offense occurred

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I would respectfully suggest that is a bad habit that you should break. You either (1) have enough information and can raise the flag now, or (2) need to be staying with the OS line in case there is another potential OS. There is no reason to stop to tell the R that “I might raise my flag soon.”

IASocFan and usaref repped this.
  13. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the video we reviewed earlier this year is any indication the officials in the MLS in particular are getting diffferent instruction with regard to the LOTG and offside than we are.

14. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Oh that's just so that we can collectively call it both ways

jayhonk repped this.
  15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess parents prayers have been answered.