Location, Location, Location

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by realUSpride, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Would be interesting if they play some of the games especially versus some of the bigger teams at Qualcomm. Drawing 60k+ for games versus Chivas and America might even encourage them to spend some decent money on very good players.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well size wise it might behoove them to start a bit smaller, maybe PETCO. Neither Chivas nor the Xolos sold out their last two games up here at PETCO and Torero Stadium respectively. Qualcomm is a bit big. Only reason I could fathom they'd start there is if rental prices favored it.

3. sandiegosoccer

Feb 3, 2010
  4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. sandiegosoccer

Feb 3, 2010
    My Guess is Southwestern College, and by the end of the week. Just a Guess.

6. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably been said before... but if the MLS doesnt move Chivas to San Diego it is sorely missing out. The franchise would flourish... we wouldnt have to deal with lousy renters...

They could have sold out Qualcomm for friendly after friendly with FMF teams... make little cup tourneys etc etc etc...

Southern CA is a hotbed for youth soccer, why have two teams in one building... move to SD the rivalry (if you wanna call it that) between the G's and goats would expand as well...with the # of fans in SD... its not like people wont travel for it either...

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southwestern college? Damn I was hoping they'd be at least ambitious enough to do Torero Stadium again.

8. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Do you think the Mexican Federation would allow that?

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow what?

10. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Seems like the logical thing is Xolos USA then. :p

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego Xolos might be better for an MLS side in town. But it'll never happen as long as Chivas' owner owns them.

As for this game, really sucks they decided to come up the day of the Holiday Bowl. Couldn't they have chosen another night, ANY other night.

12. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they did that, I would be the first guy starting a petition, and an occupation if necessary:D
    though personally Armada is still my favorite, and La Armada as tifos
    why not?

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Vergara has said as much. One that he's not changing the name of the team. And two that he's never moving the team to San Diego. Doesn't think we have the market. Only ways we're getting an MLS team are if he sells or we get and expansion team.

14. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one would think that with all the animosity of the CUSA name he would at least consider it...

I partially agree with his notion of the market, besides better NPSL attendance I wonder what would it take for him to come, or at least consider

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To consider it would be to admit defeat in his original plan. He'll never go for it. He'd rather run them into the ground than do that. As for SD, he's already sampled down here with friendlies and I don't think he like what he saw. Besides he still believes in the notion that LA is the best place for his "mexican" MLS team. In that regard I can't fault him. I think his Chivas themed team would do even worse down here without a rebrand than it does up in LA.

16. sandiegosoccer

Feb 3, 2010
    I would hazard to guess that you would be the ONLY person that cares about both games. I heard they are looking at a pre-game too - so I would guess that the big boys are not going to kick off until at least 8pm. I bet you could nearly make both games if that was a huge issue.

If you look at their training schedule - all their games are played on Wednesdays. I would suspect they would prefer a saturday night, but the saturdays are a bit busy this year in that game window - Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.