Local Broadcast of United 2018 Games

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NicktheGreek, Feb 2, 2018.

1. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    So I took my own advice and was looking at what channels I could get from my house and the 24.3 channel from Baltimore wasn't showing up for me (and I'm sure it was before) so I did a little digging and it looks like that sub channel may no longer be broadcasting. Apparently what was the main Channel 24 become a sub channel of the main NBC station in Baltimore back in December. Not sure what happened to the OTA broadcast of American Sports Net.

As noted above, the channel listings were for 2017. Apparently 2018 is going to be something different...

Of note, it also looks like American Sports Net merged with some other entities and became "Stadium" - which I have definitely seen in my Fios TV line-up and is also supposedly available via streaming. So I wonder if Sinclair is no longer going to be able to show these broadcasts on their American Sports Net stations.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, one site says I can get dozens of stations - another one gets much closer and guesses zero - right now the earth's tilt is being kind and I am getting 9.1, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 7.4 - usually I have to move the antenna to choose whether to get ch 7 or ch 9 :cool:

I would imagine in Great Falls you should be able to pull in some Baltimore stations if they're based south or west of bahlmer.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting

https://23455-presscdn-pagely.netdn...uploads/2017/12/Sinclair-Markets-11.30.17.pdf

Looks like us DC folk may be boned, although I do get the Baltimore OTAs as well in my room so who knows.

Website says nothing about MLS though

Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Interesting that 24.3 may not be broadcasting anymore. It would jive with the TVFool listing that shows what channels you should be able to get over the air based on your address. It does not show 24.3 as available for me, yet I can get 24.1 and other B'more channels.

http://www.tvfool.com/

Winoman repped this.
  5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Winoman, sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What happens with LAFC home games that DCU plays. Wouldn't Youtube (by the way the subscription Youtube) consider itself a national network and demand exclusivity for games it broadcast. I would assume that would mean we could not watch LAFC vs DCU games unless they were in DC or were willing to pay. Of course I have no idea if DCU plays LAFC on the road this season.

7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcement for that said that while that service is national, the LAFC games would only be available in the local market. So same result for us as if it were on a local sportsnet

8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    What is sad at least to me, is that after 2 decades+ DC United can't interest a station in an almost top tier TV market area to carry their games and generate some revenue. I guess there's some comfort in knowing that about 90% of the people who could even consider giving a crap about the team go to the games. There's no comfort realizing the other 99% of the local populace go through life numb to the fact there's a pro team in town

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    At this point, I am not all that interested in watching anyway.

sitruc repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Thanks, it must have just gone up unless I missed it last week. Looks like folks in Fairfax with Cox can get all the games should they opt for the right packages. I recall seeing a broadcast schedule for Ballimer OTA at the same website

12. Justin_P

Justin_P Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Ohio
    There's no OTA for a DC station correct? I'm in Arlington and can only do an indoor antenna. I switched from xfinity to layer3 tv and it looks like I'm out of luck.

13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't forget that ESPN+ will be streaming the games. Since we're out of market you'll have to watch games on delay, but it's not a bad deal. I've done it since we've moved to NC8 as I refuse to watch sports in low def.

14. Justin_P

Justin_P Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Ohio
    How long the delay is for the full match?

15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Generally about 60-90 mins. Now that ESPN is doing it, I bet it's faster. That was when MLS ran it's own streaming service.

16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that was just for the replays though...I thought they would still be offered live for out of market on ESPN+

17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes. They are live for out of market.

18. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you misspoke then in your first post

19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think I did. What I meant to say was that folks "in market" for NC8 would not be able to stream live. I was thinking that policy made us "out of market" for local viewing of MLS Live/ESPN+, but in doing that I just created more confusion. Sorry.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Justin_P

Justin_P Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Ohio
    Thanks, hopefully it's the same or better on espn.

21. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, just making sure we all had the right info :)

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link has been taken down now...maybe changes are coming?

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the internet, so must be true :)

969302696518971397 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman repped this.
  24. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Winoman repped this.
  25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious way to change the grid, losing any concept of Baltimore or anywhere in the DC area besides cable TV. Interesting.

sitruc repped this.