Local Broadcast of United 2018 Games

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NicktheGreek, Feb 2, 2018.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm having difficulty sifting through the rumors, etc addressing if News CH 8 will continue to broadcast United Games "live" during the 2018 season. I can't seem to find any reliable reference pointing either way.
    Does anyone know for sure and can they link to a reliable source?
    Thanks

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    No sources. They always release very late. I'm hoping for just about anything that isn't NC8. I'd like to see DCU try something a little more unconventional if they cannot get on one of the two major regional sports networks. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or just about any streaming service would be interested in demonstrating the value of their platform.

3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Thanks, I know what you mean, but in my case that channel is in both no and high def and aside from needing the mute button I'm a happy guy. I'm sure the cable provider Cox provides the station with some pretty sophisticated viewer stats so they get a Neilsen RAting like feedback. Hope it continues.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    As a cord cutter, there seems to be no way to get NC8. Not over the air, not available stand-alone, I can't even borrow a login to get it. They web stream all the rest of their programming (that I want no part of) but last I checked the games weren't streamed this way.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, NC8 makes as much sense for non-cable people as youtube makes for people like me - but wouldn't CSN have the same problem as it's a cable station not a broadcast station as well?
    I was pretty happy when DirecTV started carrying NC8, they treat it as a local channel for some reason - I'm old enough to remember when it was a Media General-only cable access station.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I can semi-cheat if it was on CSN. My mother-in-law has cable and can set up multiple logins (Verizon allows this). So I can use her login to stream games from there via Roku apps. But NC8 is too obscure a channel to have one.

Winoman repped this.
  7. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    So I've been looking into cord cutting but one of the things holding me back was the inability to get DC United games if I do.

One possible workaround I may have found (depending on where you live) is that the games are also shown on Baltimore's American Sports Network, which is an over-the-air HDTV sub-channel of WUTB, Baltimore's MyNetworkTV station.

In theory, with the right HDTV antenna, I could pick up this station for free from my home in Fairfax County, VA. I'd be curious if anyone is doing this and can tell me if it's really possible and if the games really are carried on this station.

As for CSN, that's now NBC Sports - Washington and is available on multiple streaming services...

Eastern Bear, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Where the games broadcast there last season? Someone, maybe shawn12011 can clarify this but I thought at times they were supposed to be broadcast, but at gametime something else would be on. 45.2 was one of the stronger stations and I live in Annapolis.

9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually watched a DCU match while camping in Tidewater, VA last year. It was on ASN (don't remember what frequency), and it came in loud and clear over the air with the digital antenna in the RV. I think that I heard that ASN comes in around Richmond, VA too, but my memory may be faulty on that one.

10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I purchase the MLS streaming package to watch games. I used to watch games live with a VPN service but MLS got wise and blocked that. Now I just watch the matches on delay. I don’t watch in low def. I also tried the HD antenna and could not find one that worked. I tried 3 and returned all of them. Longest range I bought was 60 miles which should have easily gotten me the channel from Great Falls, VA.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I only cut the cord late last season, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but this is probably it. And in addition I will probably watch the condensed version. If I turn off enough alerts on my phone, there's a reasonable possibility I can avoid knowing the score until early Sunday (assuming the game is Saturday). Might be entertaining to watch a condensed match when you care about but don't know the outcome (I don't think I've done that before).

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do that a lot with the free 4-minute versions of matches around the league. very entertaining

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh I watch a lot of the condensed (~20 minute) games on MLSLive, it's just that I'm not used to doing that when I really care who wins. Might be a different experience.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I did this a lot last year. Usually it takes about 2 hours for them to edit the match into a condensed version. Sometimes longer and never shorter.

15. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    when do the full matches show up?
    My recollection from a couple of years back was that it was a day or two later, but I could be misremembering that...
    Can you watch a 7:00 match starting at 10:00 that night?

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    They've gotten a lot faster. A 7pm match was usually up by 11pm, but sometimes as late as midnight. The condensed matches took an extra hour. It usually depended on which matches ended earliest because I think MLS has just one person editing.

QuietSide repped this.
  17. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    according to Lindsay last week, CH8 still has the contract. In Annapolis we have that weird ASN or whatever. They still never list the match when its supposed to be on, its always like softball or something, but the match is on, in non HD crapiness.

We better get a good local deal after this year!

Winoman, Eastern Bear and QuietSide repped this.
  18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is it on OTA or cable?

19. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Cable for Annapolis. Do not know about the DC Area

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's OTA for Annapolis on 45.?. ASN is really just Sinclair owned station in the Mid Atlantic but WJLA channel 7 is an exception.

dcchelseafc repped this.
  21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Who has been able to get the game on OTA in HD? I will probably try out another antenna. I've found one that claims a 100 mile range.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was HD in Tidewater when I pulled it in OTA. We pulled in 25+ HD channels OTA down there, when we were camping in our RV. Around here (DMV), I have no clue. We don't get ASN on Verizon FIOS, but we do get NC8.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  23. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Here is the out-of-DC listing as of 2017:

In Baltimore, matches will be available over the air on channel 24.3, the American Sports Network subchannel of WUTB, Baltimore's MyNetworkTV station. In Norfolk, matches will be available over the air on channel 33.2, the ASN subchannel of WTVZ-DT, the MyNetworkTV affiliate.

Sinclair’s broadcasts by region are below:
    Norfolk, Va - WTVZ-DT (ch 33.2, ASN subchannel)
    Baltimore, Md - ASN (ch 24.3)

Norfolk, Va
    Verizon FiOS: 11/511 (MyTv) 468 (ASN)
    DirecTV: 33
    Over-the-air: 33.2

Richmond, Va
    Comcast/XFINITY
    : 13 SD/809 HD CW Richmond
    Verizon FiOS: 13 SD/513 HD CW Richmond
    Digital Channel: 47 CW Richmond
    Over-the-Air: 65.1 CW Richmond
    **Weekday Matches to be broadcast on CW Richmond subchannel, Bounce Richmond**
    • Comcast/XFINITY: 204
    • Verizon FiOS: 467
    • Over-the-Air: 65.2
    Baltimore, Md
    Verizon FiOS: 470 (ASN)
    Comcast/XFINITY: 210 (ASN)
    Over-the-air: 24.3 (ASN)

Note: Every pre-and-post-game show for locally broadcasted matches are streamed live on Facebook.

Radio Coverage
    Through United's partnership with CBS Radio, all Black-and-Red matches are broadcast on either 106.7 The Fan or 1580 AM, and is also streamed via the TuneIn App.

https://www.dcunited.com/es/schedule/broadcast

24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    @Winoman So I guess you were getting channel 33.2 when you were in Tidewater? That's a long way for my antenna to try and reach from Great Falls. Hoping at least Baltimore has an HD OTA option. Anyone know? Thanks @QuietSide for that listing above.

25. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I'm by no means an expert. But aren't all of these OTA options now automatically HDTV, especially if it's a sub-channel that you're pulling in via a HDTV antenna.

As for what channels you can get in your location, there are lots of sites that will tell you what you should get. Just google what HDTV channels can I get with an antenna and type in your address...

Winoman repped this.