Liverpool vs Spurs, PL, March 31, 11:30 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #1 Golara, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    The run-in begins with a trip to Anfield, a ground at which we have won only 4 times in the league in the past 107 years.

Our league and away form has gone down the tubes since the middle of February, putting our top 4 hopes in jeopardy. Hopefully the long break between games and the imminent opening of the new stadium will have rejuvenated the players. Now that the Real and United manager positions have been put to bed, our gaffer needs to rediscover his magic, as he has been off the ball with his tactics and substitutions during this barren spell.

With City winning yesterday, Liverpool need a win to go back top of the league. Our best bet is to keep it tight for as long as possible and hope that the tension in the ground unnerves the Liverpool players.

2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I was distracted by other things and tuned in at the 89th minute... just in time to see us lose the game on an own-goal... Spursy, for both me and the team.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Losing on an own goal by a player who wants out.

Liverpool winning in the 89th minute when it matters stands in such stark contrast to our fortunes in similar situations.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the BBC live report, they seemed to say it was a Lloris error and Toby happened to be there.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even before that goal though, Sissoko and Son had a 2 on 1 going and Sissoko blazed a shot over the bar.

Yes, there are fine lines between winning and losing but you can't blame luck when you waste golden opportunities to score.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    definitely on Lloris. a real kick in the shit today. feeling like old times.

still, we played well in the second half. and things may definitely have a different feel about them over the next few home games.

Palace midweek will be huge. for all the feel good factor of being back in N17, we must take all the points. a draw - or worse - will be a massive letdown.

tickets for Huddersfield go onsale for members Tuesday morning at 5am. the whole season feels like it's sitting on a knife's edge.

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A draw would have been a welcome surprise, but too Spursy in the end.

8. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ********, i have not been that mad for a long, long time. toby was fine, nothing he could do and then hugo couldn't ********ing catch it back!
    but eriksen is in terrible ********ing form for half an year now, lucas is totally lost, rose is 1/3 of what he used to be, trippier is awful...
    we're doomed.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colm., is that you?

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Great fightback in the 2nd half at one of the toughest away venues in football, but all ruined by Lloris's inability to hold on to a powder-puff header that even my 5 year old son could have caught blindfolded.

GK should be on the club's shopping list next summer along with RB as Trippier looks completely lost out of possession and opponents have rightly targeted him as one of the weak links in our defense along with Sanchez, who had another shocker at the back - add CB to the list as well as holding midfield.

11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Old times, yes, still providing the punchline for the jokes. But let's not forget we are at an entirely different level compared to back then.

It'll happen at the next level too. We all had good laughs at Gerrard's slip or Terry's CL final PK miss.

As for the GK situation, I have liked what I've seen of Gazzinaga... time for him to get the nod?

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like Lloris... but, this might be a good time to get good value in moving him.

soccernutter repped this.
  13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    At Lloris's age and performance level, we will not get much. I can't see which top club would want him. Levy should be on the blower to see if the Chinese would want to take a punt.

Gazzaniga is a decent back-up, but I would not be comfortable with him full-time. I would suggest a Heaton or a Butland, good young English keepers that wouldn't cost Kepa or Alison money, but could anchor the squad for a number of years.