Liverpool vs Arsenal. Prem. March 4th 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by MilesW, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story goes that van Persie's move to Man United in 2012 was effectively sealed after a bust-up at Wenger's house. During a meeting to discuss the Dutchman's future, the striker allegedly told his manager who he should be targeting in the transfer market - and demanded that Steve Bould was NOT promoted to assistant manager.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/arsene-wenger-fallout-xi-entire-9978220

2. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    RvP was right. This whole thing's been a sh*tshow for a decade

DaPrince84 and Fifty repped this.
  3. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm in a minority of Arsenal fans but I thought he was right at the time.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Maybe it's to do with the EPL financial dominance, but back in the Vieira/Henry era it was pretty much accepted that world elite players like those guys never saw themselves doing their final years at Arsenal. They had what it takes to play for one of the genuine Euro greats as so it was no surprise that they eventually left.

Cesc stayed about as long as could reasonably expect IMO. The guy was a genuine elite AM at the time and of course he would leave if peak Barca come calling.

RvP is the same. He gave Wenger many years. But he was absolutely elite at the time and the best technical player I have ever seen. Should he really waste his last years on mediocrity?

And so now we have Ozil who is at the peak of his career.

I would argue he has learned virtually nothing at Arsenal. Then he came up with a peak year, and for what?

If you were Ozil, would you spend your peak years on this?

This is his 4th year - how many more months do we expect him to dig in for the team?

Serengeti_Boy, Fifty, daedalus and 4 others repped this.
  5. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    To be honest the more i learn about football, coaching, tactics, etc. the more I come to look at players that leave Arsenal in a new light. I always had sympathy for them, but I have more understanding of tactics and coaching and realize they really didn't learn anything.

Cesc was ruined here imho and picked up some terrible habits. There just isn't much that Wenger teaches that befits the modern game imho. Everything is so sophisticated that these simple things just don't work anymore unless you have all time greats.

Fifty, daedalus, mebeSajid and 1 other person repped this.
  6. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Henry really thinks deep inside. He went from Wenger, who gave him the freedom to blossom, to Pep, who gave him the structure that provides greatness. I'm sure that he knows Arsene isn't at the same level.

Fifty and DutchCane repped this.
  7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    very true

Fifty repped this.
  8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsene's mentality would make a great parent coach for an under 12 team, encourage kids to try stuff, learn in real time, etc, etc. Part of his effect on English football at least was the professionalization of the league, and like most innovators his innovation outgrew him. He never outgrew his best parts available mentality unfortunately, the Sanchez signing is emblematic of this behavior.

DutchCane repped this.