Liverpool V Chelsea FC - The Super Cup Final

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StamfordBridgeLions, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Reminiscent of Lukaku’s deciding penalty against Bayern in the 2013 Super Cup. Zero confidence. Don’t stick a kid in the 5 spot. Ugh.

2. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes the captain should have stepped up he has scored a few penalties in his time

Tammy was villa's pen taker last season but I think he might have missed a couple.

Kante was excellent, Pedro has rediscovered his mojo. Zouma more composed. Pul could be a handful

Can't really fault anyone tonight.

If we play well I am happy

Serengeti_Boy, Rman3349, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, he's a CF. If he's not confident of scoring from 12 yards with only the keeper to beat, that's not a good sign.

TBH, though, if he carries on making the runs and shooting when he gets the chance, (as he did against ManU when he hit the post), he'll score his share of goals. Whether that's enough for us as a side is another matter.

In general, I feel quite a bit happier than I did at the end of the ManU game where we did well for an hour but then rather fella apart.

Wrath and lobomojo repped this.
  4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pretty happy with how we played today. Not too bothered about losing on penalties.

5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kante WELCOME BACK! What a player! Thought we were a little unlucky not to win this game outright, losing a game like this doesn't really matter, even if it was against a team who's supporters are the biggest bunch of wankers in football (alongside Madrid fans) & Spurs fans of course just cos it's Spurs! And did I say Kante!? Pedro was pretty bloody handy too, in fact everybody had a pretty damn good game if you ask me. Ladies and gents I think in a few months time we are going to be back 'up there' I am genuinly excited about Supah and his team.

StamfordBridgeLions and lobomojo repped this.
  6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think the tactical approach was also a lot smarter, and it showed. A solid game against an elite European aide playing its best players. Not much else to ask for.

Rman3349 repped this.
  7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How many of these "played great, lost" can team (and Lampard) take? I know it's only two, but when losses mount, players can buy out pretty quickly.

Other than that - amazing performance. Kante is one of the world's best. I wish we had Rudiger, Willian, and RLC.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  8. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also pleasantly surprised by how good Pulisic is technically. Always knew he had speed but some of his dribbling and passing were excellent. He does need to bulk up a little though.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That’s what I kept saying about Morata the last few years.

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Goodness I hope the team can take more than 2 losses especially when its away to Man Utd and a narrow penalty loss against the European Champions or we are in BIG trouble! In fact personally I am pleasantly surprised at how Supah has the team playing already! I was expecting mid table this year but the team has surprised me (pleasantly) so much already I want 6th now!

11. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is VAR only used for City to retake penalties? Adrian was clearly off his line. EB9k55XW4AEDuXe.jpg

Ninjatend0 and StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This pic has been widely distributed and encapsulates the folly that is VAR.

Though, I would like to see the GK positioning on every PK in the shootout. Are we sure Kepa didn't jump the line - or do they only "check" if a shot has been saved?

13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    VAR is a passion killer.

I am not so sure that Virgil wasn't playing Pulisic onside for his wonder goal tbh.

14. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just slam the ********ing PK, who cares about the keep

15. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    More than one hopefully...

We calling that ManU game a "played great" game? Can't say I agree

16. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall very happy with the way we played. Kante being back in the team is such a difference maker. With last years experience playing higher and now being in his natural position, I think it adds greater confidence to his attacking play.

Unlucky with the PK but Tammy looked nervous when stepping up. No surprise he fluffed it.

lobomojo repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :D Yeah, fair point.

I don't know.

He scored 26 in 40 last year for Villa whereas Morata's record is patchier although, obviously, that was in much better leagues.

Years - Team, Appearances - (goals)

2010–2013 Real Madrid B 83 (45)
    2010–2014 Real Madrid 37 (10)
    2014–2016 Juventus 63 (15)
    2016–2017 Real Madrid 26 (15)
    2017– Chelsea 47 (16)

Of course, the other thing is that we brought Tammy back in to the club precisely because Morata hadn't worked out. Also, strictly speaking, we didn't have to spend 60m or whatever it was to get him.

But, again, I think most people accept that he's a guy who will be given more leeway because he's a youth team product and also that he'll be given a run because we can't bring someone else to replace him.

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I mean, what really is the deal with Michy. A disaster since coming here aside from a brief run of form at Dortmund. Every manager at this club and loan clubs just don't like him.

19. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #119 lobomojo, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    rumors are, and yea I feel a bit bad for bringing up rumors, but they are widespread and several, but still not necessarily true, that Bats is not the best, most energetic, most committed, practice players with the best attitude, and some great get away with that, average or average + don't, especially with gaffers like Conti and Supah who made their careers always working the hardest, and Jose not patient with that approach either.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If that's true it might mean they fear he'll drag everyone else down to his level of effort, both in practice and in the matches. But, is it true? Who knows.

But, tbh, the guy's been given several chances and has never really done it since he left France 3 years ago. Strictly speaking, even if the problem has been us as a club, he's played more games for other sides, (Dortmund, Valencia and Palace), that us. According to wiki he made 36 appearances since Jan last year for them and has scored a total of 13 goals for those sides. I mean, it's not actually dreadful I suppose but, y'know...

Also he's 25 now. If he was going to to do it, you'd think he'd have done it by now.

I dunno... maybe he'll get another chance and will set the league on fire.

21. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sadly, this happens sometimes. Guys who have the talent to be elite athletes just don't have the drive/love for the game to make it.

Some of my American friends might remember J.D. Drew, a baseball player who obviously did not like being a baseball player, but almost seemed like he felt forced to stick with it because at every level from little league on up, he was just better than everyone.

As you say, its only rumor so don't want to label Bats with that definitively, but it would go a long way towards explaining the mystery that is his career.

P.S. In case any of you are Red Sox fans, I'm sure you'll agree that that home run in the playoffs in 2004 made up for all the years of overpaid, disinterested play from Drew. Maybe Bats will score one huge goal for us when it really matters and have a similar legacy :)

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And he keeps getting callups to the Belgian side. Granted, it's a bit thin at the striker position:

Lukaku
    Origi
    Michy
    Mertens
    Benteke

Well, maybe not thin. A country that rhymes with "shmu hess say" would kill to have any one of these players.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Two Words... Fernando Torres!

AMIRITE? :)

Well OK, we were already going through, weren't we but y'know what I mean.

Rman3349 and Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, this was, for me, a moment that forgave all of the rest of his terrible career at Chelsea.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.