Liverpool in the Media (Linked Articles Only) VI

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. The improvements this side have made in terms of both results, and probably even more tellingly, in performance in games is remarkable. Lallana, Firmino, Lovren are all markedly improved since Klopp and co. arrived last year. Coutinho has improved, but is being played within a system that doesn't depend on him. Sturridege seems to have regressed (or stayed the same... injured), but the team doesn't rely upon him as they did after Suarez left. Origi and Can can be inconsistent, but regularly show flashes of brilliance. We've brought in four new senior field players this year, Wynaldum, Klavan, Matip, and Mane, all of which have bedded in remarkably well. And when was the last time we saw that level of success with transfers? Grujic looked good early until he ran into this injury slog, and he, TAA, Ejaria, and Stewart are all pushing to get into the team. About the only place we haven't markedly improved is in goal, but even there Migs seems much more focused and determined since he's come back in the side, so even if Karius isn't a significant improvement in that position, his presence is at least serving to focus Migs on improving his game.

All of this in just over one calendar year, and I'd argue Klopp still doesn't have all his perfect signings in place. At this point, we've got a good/great squad and its about finding players of sufficient quality that they improve the side (line a Mane). This will take time, and we'll need to get into the CL to really be competitive for them. But I think it will happen with this managerial team. I wasn't as convinced before...

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bien dit...

3. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My beginning-of-season prediction had us finishing third (behind Citeh and Chelski) but I think anything can happen over the rest of this season. I expect us to finish in the CL places and definitely see the possibility of winning #19.

4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Mariner predicts 2nd for the Reds. I think that's completely realistic, given the inconsistencies of Citeh, Gunners, et. al. Winning numero diecinueve will require that Chelsea fold a few hands. But I think Liverpool can only lose one more match for 1st to be in reach.

Either Spurs or Arsenal, and deffo not the 31/1 fixture at Anfield. More than one loss might put the League title beyond achieving, and the Reds need to win against teams now in top 4 to preserve a 2nd place finish, IMO.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is reasonable.

All the other teams in the mix - Citeh, Spurs, Arsenal, and I guess Yernited - are in the FA cup and will resume European commitments in February as well - so they will start experiencing the fixture congestion that we have now.

Ironically the one team not in Europe is the one we are all chasing.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8th to 3rd is a pretty big improvement.

I'm all for title hopes I just don't see Chelsea sacrificing that lead with their tactical setup. But anythings possible. I hope for first, but expect something like 4th.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #782 RevsLiverpool, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    There isn't an Emre Can thread so here's a good TIA article exploring the dip in Can's recent form. I agree with this observation:
    The past 2 games he's been about shit.
    Perhaps Klopp playing him out of position is the cause but I just don't see the quality he supposedly provides consistently enough.

8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    past 3 months have been really indifferent. For each good game - it's 3-4 bad ones.

What is his best position - I actually can't figure it out.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. I actually think he's redundant to Hendo when they are both on the field and playing deep would be his best position. Get stuck in on a tackle, win the ball, then get rid of it to someone with vision and passing skills. I want to like the kid but his passing and decision making is slow and/or poor more often than not. It's just so aggravating to watch.

10. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Sometimes he reminds of a German version of Gerrard with the driving runs yet other days he should be left back.....left back in the changing room....seriously he should focus on becoming a didi Hamann type player, with the discipline

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has never once reminded me of Gerrard in any way but I agree with you about the Hamann part.

12. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Okay, granted it was a big, big stretch.....it's the runs he has made in the past.....he needs to have a bucket load of athleticism to be one those players and above all, it's the timing

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree that Can is has been poor lately. But let's not forget that last season he was one of our best players, and he is only just turned 23.

In a season in which almost all our players have shown great improvement, he seems to have gone backwards. I think his best position is in the holding roll, but Henderson has outperformed him by a wide margin. I still think he has the potential to be a great player, but he needs to find his role in our formation. However, based on current form he should be dropped.

Sir Niney repped this.
  14. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    http://www.football365.com/news/coutinho-not-world-class-wages-too-high-merson

Merson claims Coutinho ain't world class (which is subjective) ,
    claims coutinho is paid too much (debatable as clubs need to secure long term deals for players that are targets for other clubs plus coutinho is yet to reach his best imo & how much would it cost to replace a coutinho, like for like Brazilian international at 24 years of age),
    Coutinho only scores great, worldie goals (as opposed to tap-ins and toe pokes ??)
    & Coutinho is not the best player at Liverpool ( personally I think he is and there is an argument for Mane and Lallana depending on the criteria )

15. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Paul Merson ever said anything that was positive about Liverpool?

newterp repped this.
  16. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merson's short stint as Walsall's mgr was desperately grim. I guess he deserves some credit for his years at Highbury and The Riverside, but I don't think he should be accounted any special praise as a "pundick".

usscouse repped this.
  17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    An interesting take on our recent slump.

Here’s why Liverpool struggled in January…
    [​IMG]

Looking at the circumstances in November I always found that January would be a month where we would struggle and here’s why…

At the Time – Coutiniho, Lallana, Henderson and Matip Picked up Injuries and were ruled out of December and not expected to be back for Mid Jan – (only Lallana returned before mid jan), then Mane would be off to the AFCON in January.

Now everyone has stated that Liverpool/Klopp has been found out and that all you have to do is sit back against them. however for me that is total and utter Hog wash. Our starting Midfield 3 was Henderson Wijnaldum Lallana… Our starting front 3 Was Coutiniho Firmino Mane… this combination with Matip at CB in the system that is set up is designed to break down teams that park the bus as the player movement, interplay and quick passing opens gaps in tight spaces.

This team has not played since mid-November and if Mane does not play tonight it means we would have been unable to start our first 11 for nearly 2 and half months. Could you Imagine Chelsea without Luiz, Moses, Kante, Hazard, and Pedro out at the same time for 2 and half months.. exactly..

Throughout December with the loss of Lallana, Henderson and coutiniho, Klopps approach to games was more defensive and in some cases direct…. the Middleborough is a great example whereby the strengths of Mane and Origi as a combination worked to a tee in getting beyond a stubborn back 7 or Boro… Origi also benefits in playing with Mane as they have a genuine understanding.

So what has gone wrong in January ?

the 2-2 draw with Sunderland was a result of the ridiculous game scheduling with the man city game… and ridiculous penalty decisions.

Man Utd 1-1 (18th Jan) – an excellent team performance where we had Matip, Clyne, Coutiniho and mane out of the starting lineup, lallana out of position and TAA making his EPL debut. Henderson returned from Injury and showed a lack of match fitness after the 60min mark

Swansea loss – 2 of the 3 goals were individual errors from Lovren, Momentum was lost when coutiniho was substituted for origi where we had just equalized. Henderson looked knackered after 60 mins (lack of Match fitness), Lallana not effective in manes Position. on another day we could have been 3-0 up in the first half if Frimino and lallana were clinical with the opportunities they had. – This game has to be put down as a bad day at the office…

Southampton 0-1 … you have to take your hat of and say they defended well and had a bit of luck on their side with the Forster spill… the sturridge of old would have buried the 3 chances he got.

Wolves – the wolves loss was down to team selection — first of all it was a team that has never played together. Picking a team that would never be considered as he picked players who are clearly not part of his Plans I.e Randal, Moreno, Sturridge, Lucas

So will it get better – of course it will… not only will Mane be back but Matip, Clyne and Henderson will be back with Coutiniho returning to match fitness and Lallana back in his position.

Context has to be given… experts can criticize squad depth all they want but it is statistically proven that teams with 2 world class players in each position struggle when 3 core members of the teams spine preferred starting team are missing.

If you look at Fergie, Jose, Houllier and Rafa the core spine of the team never changed during rotation, as weather it was Plan A, B or C the core players always play a significant part in its execution..

NorthernBahrain

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/why-liverpool-struggled-in-january-is-ivanovic-a-chelsea-legend#fb-comments

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm all for looking for positives but no offense speke but that sounds like a long whinge to me.

blaming injuries and individual player mistakes only gets you so far.

blaming tired players and poorly-timed subs only gets you so far.

moaning about poor pens? come on now ... maybe accurate but jeez ....

listing all those things, but not mentioning uninspired / poor team play at all? gimme a break.

and as for "Context has to be given… experts can criticize squad depth all they want but it is statistically proven that teams with 2 world class players in each position struggle when 3 core members of the teams spine preferred starting team are missing." what bloody stats are those - sounds like total BS to me.

as for context - how about mentioning the poor-quality oppo involved: bottom of the league Swansea, bottom 3 Sunderland, lower-league Wolves and even-lower-league Plymouth.

without key players would Chelsea have done better? I'm bloody convinced they would actually.

the whole thing is a long-winded piece hinting but not saying outright that "Klopp effed up" imo......

19. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Love those rose tinted glasses though.

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think most slumps are usually down to a confluence of causes rather than one simple reason ie that" Klopp simply effed up" tho I agree the manager has added a few errors of his own this month too and also probably didn't strengthen enough last summer .

During our good run the team virtually picked itself each game other than the keeper.

Clyne, Matip,Lovren,Milner
    Lallana.Hendo,Gini
    Mane,Firmino,Coutinho.

And we did lose some key players both thru injury and international duty during our heaviest fixture spell of the season. The Chelsea game will be our 10th game in 30 days .The guys that filled in certainly failed to perform at the same levels as those missing. Origi,Sturridge,Can,Klavan etc ,their form has been mostly crap and iffy at best.

That's been the biggest factor to me but throw in missed offside calls,eg the non call on Valencia which resulted in Utd's late tying goal and non pen calls in against us of which we've seen a number , Klopp's selections of weakened sides and more has all added up to a disastrous month for us. I said before we really needed to bring in at least one quality reinforcement in Jan to boost the squad.

But bottom line is that if we are going to go with a smallish squad then imo the quality of that squad needs to be much better. We had no one suitable to fill in for Mane for six weeks,we've had no cover at right back all season , Moreno isn't good enough as backup at lb etc etc.

Going week in week out with our best works fine until we're not able to use those same guys then we get what we saw in Jan.

21. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    He could've gone 1st class for around 4k or booked a cheap hotel in Liverpool and watched more games.......I suppose it's the journey and not just the destination

24. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Dietmar Hamann has criticised Liverpool’s decision to hand Jurgen Klopp a six-year contract and claims they’ll be lucky to make the top four this season.

Liverpool were beaten 2-0 at Hull on Saturday after a dismal January saw them drop out of the title race.

Klopp was recently given a lengthy new contract, something former midfielder Hamann has questioned strongly.

Hamann told the Sunday Times:

“In England it can be OK to fail, in Germany it never is.

“I like Klopp, but they lost two finals last season, so I’d be careful.

“I wouldn’t have given him a six-year contract. That’s absolute madness.

“They won’t win anything this year and they may not finish top four.”

-------------------------------

6 year contract means diddly squat as anyone can be sacked if the performance does not improve......the attrition rate in the EPL for managers is pretty high tbh

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamman routnely spouts shit as a commentator.