Liverpool FC vs The Bitters - FA Cup - Jan 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jan 3, 2020.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

16:01 Sun 5th Jan 2020

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klopp has said put emotion to the side for this game - he was talking to our supporters as it seems to indicate that we need to and will rotate here.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #3 SamScouse, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    I'd go with ...

Adrian
    Hoever Phillips VdBerg Milliie
    Elliott Lallana Jones
    Minamino Brewster Origi

Is Brewster available?

EDIT: physioroom says Brewster is available, if he's fit he'll deffo start I think.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    second thoughts .... it is Everton. so I'll go with

Adrian
    Origi

:)

jeffcoop and Samarkand repped this.
  5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don’t think he will go that weak. I was thinking more like:

Allison
    Williams Phillips Virgil Robertson
    Lallana
    Milner Jones
    Minamino Origi Mane​

burning247 repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #6 SamScouse, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    yeah my lineup is pushing it, so yours is more balanced, but Numero Uno for me is rest and protect the usual starters.

I deffo wouldn't risk Virgil and Robbo though. really can't afford to lose either of them through injury.

I'll be amazed if Elliott doesn't start.

7. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your lineup Sam, is the one I want to see. I think it will provide a very entertaining attack. Defense will be a little weak but fun to watch

8. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Klopp will make changes he can not afford not too.
    This was the line up when we played them back a few weeks back

Origi
    Mane Lallana Shaq
    Milner Gini
    Robbo Virg Lovren Trent
    Adrian

He might go with something like this

Adrian
    Hoever Gomez VVD Milner
    Lallana
    Gini Jones
    Eillot. Origi Minamino

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Elliot and Jones are rewarded with starts. Phillips was brought back more or less for this game. Origi and Lallana are nailed on starters.

Minamino? I’d like to see him start even if it’s a derby.
    Brewster - if available please start him.

Neco - would like to also see him start.

I think we can beat Everton even with a mix of youth in the lineup.

omaro, soccershaggy and verde-rubro repped this.
  10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any need to rest the spine of the defense, there's a full week off after this match and a couple players should be coming back as well.

Defense: VVD, Gomez, Alisson, all in for me. Fullbacks... meh. I'm fine with Williams and Milner, even though they will rightfully target the space left by them, and might get something out of it. I'd be excited to see Williams again though. Or I wonder if Hoever will play there?

Midfield: Lallana, Jones, Gini? Something like that. Gini hopefully can get a rest after this, but I think he needs to start in this one. Maybe he can come off for someone at some point, once the lead is secured.

Elliott, Lallana, Jones is an incredibly weak CM IMO... Elliott should only play in attack for me, front 3, he shouldn't be asked to focus on the kinds of defensive responsibilities needed by CMs on this level yet. And this is going to be another cup final for Everton. I would not risk something like that at all.

Attack: I'm fine with Elliott, Origi, Minamino, more important to rest the first choice front 3 and fullbacks rather than anyone else.

I don't honestly know if that attack will be enough, but bringing on Bobby and Salah to get a late goal will be fine... as long as the midfield and defense is capable enough to keep from getting countered on and being down 1 or maybe even 2. If the wholesale changes that some are advocating for happen, I'm not sure Liverpool will be leading this thing in the 70th minute or so.

We'll see what Klopp does, though, maybe he'll feel the need to rest some more key/first 11 players. I don't feel that need, especially at CB & GK.

kopiteinkc and verde-rubro repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Brewster is available? So maybe he starts for Minamino in my lineup.

12. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's hilarious that Klopp -Mr. Emotion Himself- is telling us to put emotion aside for this one. :D

I know, I know, big picture...but I'm a big fan of the F.A. Cup with its history and tradition, and dammit, I want to beat Everton soundly. I'm fine with a rotated squad to do it.

kopiteinkc, usscouse and Wingtips1 repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I hope we humiliate them - with a team mostly consisting of reserves - but if we lose this game in service of the bigger picture, so be it.

soccershaggy repped this.
  14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It’s klopp v Ancelotti going to be interesting.
    Carlo was in charge when Napoli beat us 2-1, we owe him 1 back and send these blue noses across the park with their tails between their legs

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one thing that continues to make me laugh about the Ancelotti beating Klopp thing is that almost every story is about how he did it with Napoli but with little or no details....

The one game that we did look terrible was 2018 first game @ Napoli and it still took an injury time winner.

@ Napoli in 2019 was a very very very soft penalty again Robertson in the late 80some minutes and a garbage time goal by Llorente.

@Anfield - blatant foul against VVD that the ref completely ignored even with VAR and it still ended in a draw.

Oh by the way - when it was all to play for in 2018 @ Anfield - We won and Ancelotti and Napoli ended up in the Europa League. We absolutely dominated that game - should have won 4-5 to 0 - but wayward finishing left the game late and Alisson made THAT save.

LiverpoolFanatic and usscouse repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has revealed he was interviewed for the Liverpool job in the aftermath of Brendan Rodgers' sacking in October 2015, losing out to Jurgen Klopp.

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The pundits are desparate for a story. Somehow those Napoli games give Everton the edge.

Playing the kids deffo give the bitters a chance. Ancelotti will try and stifle our forwards. Then try to hit on the break. What else is new!

It's sad for me to see the FA cup get treated like this but the PL and the CL take precedence this year.

I'm not saying we wil but we've been outed in the 3rd round before. I can't think of anything worse than a draw with these guys, and a replay

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    We dodged one there then. There were a few names tossed in the pot back then. None of the very encouraging.

I didn't know a lot about Klopp back then. Many of the pundits focused on his demise, not the way his team was pulled apart.

I'm pretty happy with him now though. :)

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he's OK I guess.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would have been fine for sure - but he’s not a team builder and he doesn’t stay places long - he’d already be gone if he had managed us.

SamScouse repped this.
  21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    He needs a shave!

22. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you leave Adrian out? He played well when needed. You've got to give the fringe players and youngsters a chance. That keeps them engaged and gives them game time which can be helpful if you need them down the road

CB-West repped this.
  23. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    After listening to Klopps pre game press conference where he made a point of talking about the need to protect his players and the fact he's down to 12-13 'adult' players available for selection I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see a massive rotation for this game not too different to who played Villa in the Carabao Cup.
    Too many injuries putting too much of a demand on the remaining healthy players so I think we'll see the youngsters again tomorrow with a smattering of 'adults'.

SamScouse repped this.
  24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of time for all backups to get some minutes, after the league is all but sewn up. If Alison gives us a better shot at progressing in the FA cup, and I think he does, he should play imo.

We will see what Klopp thinks fairly soon though!

25. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the thought of giving the Bitters any edge, anytime, anywhere. Pretty sure if we hadn't been missing so many CDs and MFs due to injury we could have rotated a lot more than we have been able to lately, so, begrudgingly, I agree that the big picture dictates putting out a less experienced side.

It sure seems like the cup draws have been relatively brutal for our Reds.I'd like to see the team we put out against Villa in the Carabao Cup against, say, Rochdale.