Liverpool FC vs Porto - CL Rd 16 - Apr 9 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 7, 2019.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It doesn't excuse the pain in the ass factor of having to stop (I don't mean the game, but to stop psychologically) and wait for it though.... IMO (as you know)

(But In any case, a handball where a ball is definitely going out for a corner would be a harsh decision, no matter what - it's one of those where I favour the idea of a more nebulous rule allowing referee discretion....)
    but, that said, I'm not FiFa...

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

This is one of the things I disagree with. The score off of a fast cross, one - quite often - can't be acutely watching and measuring where you are standing in terms of being offside to a defender, because if you are youwon't be doing the acute measurement needed to bend your body into a clinical finish...

There's a big element to either/or in these things in many cases.....

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the nature of it would be harsh either way... which is why it's easy to see that a brief VAR look is worth it! What if that were called handball by a ref with a poor view of the incident, and the match (perhaps even the tie) were ruined by that shitty call?

Either way, VAR or no, it's good they are addressing handball language before next season. There's been a fair amount of completely unnecessary controversies on the subject that could be fixed by a tweak to the rule IMO -- next year a goal which SHOULD have stood by the current rule but still LOOKED like a bad "handball", like Solanke vs Everton I believe it was, is just completely ruled out. No place for argument anymore... which is good.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone need lottery numbers?

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Finally getting around to posting. Anfield was rocking (obviously not on the level of the Citeh QF last year but still loud) and the seat they issued me was fantastic. 1st half we were a different class but Porto dug in and didn't allow us to run away with it. 2nd half was way too sloppy for my liking but we didn't concede, so should be in poll position.

Ready for the bigger game this Sunday. Liverpool is a lovely city (didn't get to see much of it on my last visit). I don't know why it has a bad reputation but I suspect that's a stereotype from a day that's dead.

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Our winning run continues when I don't watch.
    I am:
    a) thankful that we keep winning
    b) disappointed I didn't get to see it
    c) relieved I am close to being back to 'normal' and able to work a full day after not being able to do so for 6 or 7 months post-accident.

Football365 said it well - this CL run is providing a welcome distraction for the squad and the fans. Screw the neviller and everyone else that said we should give up on the CL in order to win the PL. The pressure of needing to be perfect on the weekends is balanced by performances such as Tuesday where every match feels like we're playing with house money.

Red Bird and newterp repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Injury? What happened - I recall you telling us about some grueling races you were entering? 6-7 months of recovery? Ouch! And here I am complaining about a calf strain....

8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah - what happened? ("post-accident"??!!)

9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Back in July, during my IronMan training, I had an incredibly nasty bike accident. Got in a situation on the bike where I couldn't avoid a pothole and ended up going right over the handle bars at 36 mph and landed on my head/face.
    Split my helmet in two - it 100% saved my life.
    The Dr said my face was perfectly 'fileted' (split it open from eye brow to my chin on the left side).
    Broke my nose.
    And my upper jaw.
    And knocked out four teeth.
    And suffered a bad TBI.
    If you don't have queasy stomachs DM me and I'll share a picture.

A week later I was riding again on the trainer. Two weeks later I could run again. Three weeks post-accident went to France and did 600 miles of riding, 40 miles of running, and 8 miles of swimming in a week. And 5 weeks post accident completed the IronMan (albeit a lot slower than I had planned) and 7 weeks post accident took 3rd overall at a half IronMan. So physically there were no ill-effects from the crash other than the nasty scarring and lack of teeth.

The TBI was the real problem in all this. I couldn't sleep without heavy doses of sleeping pills. My mild dyslexia went full blown word scramble. I couldn't look at a computer screen for more than 30 or 40 minutes without getting piercing headaches. Short-term memory loss (if my wife gave me a list of 3 things to do, five minutes later I'd only remember 1 or 2 of the tasks). Extreme hyperactivity (open my computer to get a specific recipe and 7 minutes later no recipe but I'd be reading about the military coupe that overthrew Jingtai in 1457).
    It was, and still is, a battle to put it all back together, but with the help of some good Dr and Psychiatry, I'm feeling almost 'normal' again.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude... good luck in your continued recovery. That sounds ********ing brutal.

Wingtips1 and CB-West repped this.
  11. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Wow what an ordeal. Closed head injuries are very tough, sounds like you've got the support you need and are doing great. Gonna take a while but if anyone can do it, it sounds like you can. Best wishes.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ouch, that sounds grim. And inspiring at the same time.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #138 usscouse, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    The things people do in the name of fun.

Damn! I'm glad you're getting through that Tips. Your attitude is proven to be the best way to help yourself. Plus a good understanding partner.
    I was going to ask when you posted your photo of your iron man a while back but didn't like to pry. Thanks for sharing, that's what our Liverpool community is about.

Here's hoping that your soon be over this. Teeth, bad dreams and all.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Dang Dude - that sounds nasty.
    Hope you have a full recovery - except for the teeth - those don't grow back...
    Brain injuries (as I'm sure you are aware) can be brutal too...
    Best...as others have said above...keep a positive attitude...

Wingtips1 repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow....continued good luck on the recovery. pretty amazing you did the race!

Wingtips1 repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the 70's and the 80's under Thatcher hit places like Liverpool badly - but it has undergone a pretty good upswing (I think, probably helped somewhat by it proximity and similarity to Dublin, and the direct connection to there with Ferries....) remarkable how those two cities have changed since the mid 80's

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wing-Tips - Jesus, man .... that is brutal.....

Keep getting better man! Kudos to actually doing the race after that...
    wow...

Wingtips1 repped this.
  18. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could have come up with an excuse like this to explain some of my oddball posts - well done! :)

I greatly admire the courage it took to come back from a crash like that and still ride in those races and wish you nothing but the best in your continued recovery.

syko

19. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to you on your remarkable recovery (not to mention drive) Wingtips!

20. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Wow.