Liverpool FC vs Porto - CL Rd 16 - Apr 9 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 7, 2019.

1. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, sorry.

2. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Keita really enjoyed the extra space and time on the ball he'll get in Europe and was brilliant driving us forward right until the final whistle.

I'm amazed at Fabinho's athleticism especially when the opposition tries to break from the edge of their penalty box - constantly winning the ball back and recycling play.

Yes we all would have liked the Cushion of a few extra goals but clean sheet at home and cant ask for more.

Next onto Chelsea.

YNWA.

usscouse, Wingtips1 and Suss repped this.
  3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I see Shaqiri nearly made it on at the end. I'm older than many of you young 'uns around here, and this will probably surprise many, but I can remember a time, a time now lost in the mists of memory, when Shaqiri actually played football on the field for Liverpool. Yes, it's true.

4. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    A Two nil at home in Europe may seem a tad unglamorous against Porto,but if We Score 1 away at the Dragao they would need to put 4 past Allison.

So Job Well Done & onto the Bigger Scalp - The Premier League.

Suss repped this.
  5. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Go go Liverpool!! 2-0, yah!!

Gotta give props to Porto away fans, their team were 2 down (2-0), and those guys still waving their blue flags and still jumping up and down cheering for their lost team. What a spirit!! Eventhough Porta will lost, second legs too, but at least they have those loyal fans.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porto gave amazing support away last season too. Impressive.

Buffonfan repped this.
  7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    2-0 is an outstanding result. With no away goals conceded we are in control. Still have to finish the job in the 2nd leg, but if we score they need to beat us by 3 goals.

I agree with the others who said that Keita and Henderson were our best players. They did a good job pushing us forward.

Chelsea is next. Chelsea still have an away trip in the Europa league on Thursday after playing yesterday.

8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Annndddd...

we get Robbo back for the away leg...(not that Milner did poorly, but Robbo's left footed delivery...maybe another goal or two...)

soccershaggy and EruditeHobo repped this.
  9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Shaqiri had a weird (stomach?) injury that lingered for a while. Now Origi is clearly preferred to him. Shaq was getting in the team when we were playing 4-2-3-1 and now we are playing 4-3-3 all the time. Klopp doesn’t trust him in the midfield 3 and prefers Origi’s size and pace in the front 3.

10. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes Sir.

Porto away fans, they just a small amount group of people sitting in the corner with their blue flags, and the whole time they sing and waves their flag, even with their team 2 down, and they still jump up and down to support their lost team.
    Mann, tbh, if it was my Juve down 2 goal, I be SOBBING my eyes out, I don't have the positivity to continue waves my flag and jump up and down like that.

Anyways, I hope next year if Porto make it again in CL, Porto won't draw Liverpool again, it must be su-ck for them, they know they going to lost, their fans know it too, but still show up to support their team.

Go go Liverpool! I guess it safe (since 2-0 already) to start thinking about vs. Barcelona in semi-final now. :)

usscouse repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool extended their unbeaten home run across all European competitions to 21 games (W15 D6); the Reds have kept 12 clean sheets in this run, conceding just 15 goals.
    • Porto have never won away at an English club in 20 attempts in all European competitions (D3 L17), the most a club has played away at English opposition without ever earning a win.
    • This was Jurgen Klopp's 400th win as a manager in all club competitions, 111 of which have been with Liverpool (180 with Borussia Dortmund, 109 with 1. FSV Mainz 05).
    • Since the start of last season, only Cristiano Ronaldo (24) has been directly involved in more goals in the Champions League than Liverpool's Roberto Firmino (21 - 13 goals, 8 assists).
    • Firmino has been directly involved in 12 goals in his 11 Champions League games at Anfield for Liverpool, scoring seven and assisting five.
    • Since his Champions League debut in September 2017, Liverpool's Alisson has kept more clean sheets (9) than any other goalkeeper in the competition; all nine have come in home matches (5 at the Olimpico with Roma, 4 at Anfield with Liverpool).

12. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

newterp and usscouse repped this.
  13. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    What a frenetic, nervy game. Porto never stopped running. They're not going to roll over at home.

LiverpoolFanatic and CB-West repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Lovren did quite well overall - the CB pairing was off today. Couple that with yet another near screw up between Alison and VVD - we need to sort things out sharpish.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The clean sheet was as important as the two goals. That Marega chap is a handful and could have made it awkward. He took advantage of Lovren and tested Van Dijk all night long, and but for Alisson’s good keeping and his wayward finishing we’d be talking a different match. Need to be careful next leg.

speker repped this.
  16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think with Lovren, although he has a balls-up in him, it's more a lack of sharpness than anything else. I think it's a good thing he has a full match under his belt as we are going to need all players fit in the run in.

17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep , Marega is deffo a handful , very physical and probably why Klopp decided on Lovren rather than Matip who in the past has struggled at times with strong physical strikers .
    Hopefully Joe Gomez is able to step up again soonish , his pace and strength would be useful v Marega.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have no real concerns about our defence last night .... Lovren was bound to be rusty, and we didn't have Robbo.

but the thing that's starting to concern me is the lack of coordination / communication between Alisson and his defenders when Alisson has to come out to collect the ball. there was the goal conceded vs Fulham, followed by the Spurs game ago where he completely effed it up with Millie tracking the ball back (and was damn lucky the ball bounced well for him) and now last night when Virgil had to blast the ball out of play (exactly the right thing to do and done very well) coz imo Alisson simply didn't react fast enough.

this needs to be sorted out in training, fast. a mix up once a season or so is OK, but 3 in a matter of weeks is scary shit. if I was an oppo manager I'd be keying on that and putting pressure on at every opportunity.

19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    indeed

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I saw once when Fabio did the splits to cut out a pass and thought "He's going to split a kipper like that!"

bayern is god repped this.
  21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Keita, Henderson and Fabinho were all immense....

Also, on 15 minutes, did anyone watch Salah defeding down the whle length of a counter attack and finally stoppping it .... Fabtastic energy....
    You wouldn';t catch Messi or Ronaldo doing that!!

soccershaggy, oikos and CB-West repped this.
  22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    at a guess, I'd say Lovren is probably stronger than Gomez - not faster, but he is a big boy is Dejan

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no. agreed, but we are also not going to not score.....

soccershaggy repped this.
  24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, it gives you an hour an 18 minmutes of unexpectedly extra time to life your life.... no???
    by th egrace of CB West and the presssures of the Internet-place ... (paraphrasing Roger Waters again here....)
    ;)

CB-West repped this.
  25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wonder what the odds are on that? If better than 5-1 I'd give it abang.....